Cop shot near Poughkeepsie station 2/18/11

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

pnaw10

Cop shot near Poughkeepsie station 2/18/11

Post by pnaw10 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Man shoots wife, then a Poughkeepsie cop. Suspect is then shot - unclear if suicide or by the cops.
All happened right near the Poughkeepsie train station at about 1:07pm, but very minimal impact on Hudson Line Service. More of an "FYI" in case anyone saw cops around and wondered what was happening.

From http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/arti ... /110218010 :
City police shut down Main Street, from the Route 44/55 intersection to the Hudson River. They had shut down access to the rear entrance to the Poughkeepsie train station, but the station is open and trains are on schedule, Metro-North Railroad spokeswoman Marjorie Anders said.
Paper reports witnesses had said cars were being turned away from the station parking lot (I'm not sure which entrance they consider the "rear" entrance to the station). Paper says incident was over within 5 minutes. With trains scheduled to arrive at 12:34 and 1:34, and departing at 12:40 and 1:40pm, I can see how train service wasn't affected. Not really any direct threat to passengers. Twenty minutes later, could have been a different story.

Paper says Amtrak service wasn't impacted by the incident either.

Otto Vondrak

Re: Cop shot near Poughkeepsie station 2/18/11

Post by Otto Vondrak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:26 pm

This is an unfortunate incident that happened near the railroad, not to be confused with a railroad-related topic.
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”