Lake Shore Limited

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

David Benton
Posts: 8741
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by David Benton » Wed May 01, 2019 12:28 am

Is this the Cafe car for the Boston section only, or does it become the Cade car for the entire train after Albany.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.

Backshophoss
Posts: 6323
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by Backshophoss » Wed May 01, 2019 1:01 am

Believe that Cafe car goes to Chicago,but only serves the Boston section passengers when on the combined train from Albany.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

RRspatch
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:22 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by RRspatch » Wed May 01, 2019 2:38 am

Saw a video of the LSL on Facebook the other day. The train was west of Albany and had only two food cars. One was the "1st class sleeper lounge" and the other was the Boston to Chicago cafe car. Several people in the FB group confirmed there's no food service for coach passengers between New York and Albany. I wonder how often they run out of food westbound in Chicago and eastbound in Boston.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.

J.D. Lang
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Between the Housy and Naugy

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by J.D. Lang » Wed May 01, 2019 6:44 am

This reminds me of what the New York Central did with their passenger trains during the 60's up till the end. In the early 60's they still had nice lounge cars and full diners on trains like the Ohio State Limited which I rode a few times. By the end the train that replaced it was called the Cayuga and it was mostly head end flexi-vans, a couple of coaches and a "meal a mat" car. That car was an old coach with all of the seats taken out with a couple of vending machines on one end. Looks like Amtrak could be heading in the same direction. :( What a shame. Death by a thousand cuts. Part of the plan to kill off long distance passenger service.
J. Lang

scoostraw
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:34 pm
Location: South of the moon. North of hell.

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by scoostraw » Wed May 01, 2019 7:51 am

bostontrainguy wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:Still seems ridiculous to me. Doesn't look like a very comfortable environment to enjoy your meal or drink. And also why didn't they remove the seats at the end of the car instead of towards the center?
When you lose money on food service and can’t feasibly make it up through volume, removing cafe/lounge functionality and using it for another profit center (? Do they charge for bikes?) is a feature for Amtrak, not a bug.
It's a "CAFE/LOUNGE" car, not a baggage car. Keep taking away the niceties of train travel and people will just drive themselves to where they have to go.
It's probably going to happen anyway with self-driving cars.

bostontrainguy
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by bostontrainguy » Wed May 01, 2019 12:26 pm

I was thinking the same thing and then got a brainstorm. Imagine a fleet of self-driving RVs! You put your family onboard and eat and sleep and do whatever you want as your moving hotel drives you to the next tourist attraction. And maybe also little one-person RVs that get you to your business meeting overnight with no hassles. That would be the end of Amtrak LD trains.

mtuandrew
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am
Location: the Manassas Gap Independent Line

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by mtuandrew » Wed May 01, 2019 1:04 pm

BTG: and then you can hook the RVs together and have a big RV pull them all, and to make them more efficient you can have them run on steel rails :P

scoostraw
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:34 pm
Location: South of the moon. North of hell.

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by scoostraw » Wed May 01, 2019 3:24 pm

bostontrainguy wrote:I was thinking the same thing and then got a brainstorm. Imagine a fleet of self-driving RVs! You put your family onboard and eat and sleep and do whatever you want as your moving hotel drives you to the next tourist attraction. And maybe also little one-person RVs that get you to your business meeting overnight with no hassles. That would be the end of Amtrak LD trains.
There are going to be all kinds of things like that I think. Like just using an uber app - picking what type of vehicle you want (ie. an RV etc.) and off you go.

As much as I like train travel once this sort of thing comes to pass, it will appeal to me as well.

scoostraw
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:34 pm
Location: South of the moon. North of hell.

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by scoostraw » Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 pm

mtuandrew wrote:BTG: and then you can hook the RVs together and have a big RV pull them all, and to make them more efficient you can have them run on steel rails :P
And to make them even more efficient, you can stock them with cold food served in a box.

WashingtonPark
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by WashingtonPark » Wed May 01, 2019 3:34 pm

scoostraw wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:BTG: and then you can hook the RVs together and have a big RV pull them all, and to make them more efficient you can have them run on steel rails :P
And to make them even more efficient, you can stock them with cold food served in a box.
It will take you forever, though, as the selfdriving trucks break down and block your route.

ExCon90
Posts: 4502
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by ExCon90 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Will there be 500-mile inspections? Or just annually, as now (in some states)? Another thought just occurred: if one of them has a flat, who gets out to fix it? And does the whole procession have to wait for AAA, or can the rest of them proceed without the bad-order RV?

User avatar
BandA
Posts: 2860
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by BandA » Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 am

Have to standardize the couplers - knuckles, balls or receivers. For long distances, they could drive on board one of several auto trains that replace the Amtrak LD. Auto Trains might have fees lower than competing toll roads + fuel cost + congestion fees.

If a self-driving car on a highway gets "bad ordered", AAA comes with a wrecker & hauls it to the nearest Apple Store for repair.

arthur d.
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:18 am

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by arthur d. » Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 pm

David Benton wrote:Looks like a lot of effort went into the design of those Bike racks. The agent may have meant the bike racks were reserved out .

They agent gave no indication that she was even aware of bike racks in cafe cars, stating simply that, since there was no longer a baggage car, bicycles were not allowed on the LSL, and would be routed through WAS period. That's not going to happen. Further, given the ticket prices I was quoted at BOS -which for some reason were in conflict (read significantly higher than) with prices given by the Amtrak web site, someone explain this please - I can hire a car for the week and cover the cost of the hotels I will be using for less money.

scoostraw
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:34 pm
Location: South of the moon. North of hell.

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by scoostraw » Sat May 04, 2019 8:32 am

arthur d. wrote:
David Benton wrote:Looks like a lot of effort went into the design of those Bike racks. The agent may have meant the bike racks were reserved out .

They agent gave no indication that she was even aware of bike racks in cafe cars, stating simply that, since there was no longer a baggage car, bicycles were not allowed on the LSL, and would be routed through WAS period. That's not going to happen. Further, given the ticket prices I was quoted at BOS -which for some reason were in conflict (read significantly higher than) with prices given by the Amtrak web site, someone explain this please - I can hire a car for the week and cover the cost of the hotels I will be using for less money.
Did you happen to notice if the agent's last name was Anderson?

Backshophoss
Posts: 6323
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by Backshophoss » Sun May 05, 2019 1:21 am

IF there were any protests about "killing" the Checked Baggage service on 448/449,they fell on DEAF ears at 1 Mass. :P :P
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

Return to “Amtrak”