EMD vs GE (Wabtec) Locomotive Volumes

Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

32of32

EMD vs GE (Wabtec) Locomotive Volumes

Post by 32of32 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:26 am

Hi there,

I recall seeing, a number of years back, a graph that showed the split of North American domestic locomotive sales. I’m wondering if this Type of data resides anywhere - showing the split between EMD/GE sales per year - up to and including current year.

Thanks for your help!

Allen Hazen

Re: EMD vs GE (Wabtec) Locomotive Volumes

Post by Allen Hazen » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:56 pm

For a decade or more, "Trains" has published (usually in about September) an annual "Locomotives" special issue, including a review of the year's (North American) locomotive orders.
I have not seen "Extra 2200 South" since it stopped publishing a paper edition, but it used to have a similar (but more usable, since the data was presented in tabular form) annual survey.

Allen Hazen

Post by Allen Hazen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:35 pm

The "Trains" locomotive special also has a tabular survey, with model breakdown, of the fleets of the big class one railroads. Since new models don't get introduced all that often, this doesn't give you year-to-year sales, but until you get a better source, it gives you a sort of "time averaged" overview.

es80ac

Post by es80ac » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:21 pm

With the sale of GE Transportation to Wabtec and the overall mess the GE parent company being in, I suspect EMD probably have gained some market share in the last year especially being part of Cat

Return to “EMD - Electro-Motive”