CSX abandons lower Homestead extension

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

mark777

CSX abandons lower Homestead extension

Post by mark777 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:17 am

So it's official, CSX filed for abandonment of the lower portion of the Homestead extension, basically from the Gold Coast Museum south to Homestead and Florida City. This wasn't a surprise to many who know about this branch and the fact that it has been dormant for many years. With little along the way to provide car loads of freight, even a short line wouldn't sustain itself for long. The only hope it ever had was if TriRail were to extend southward past MIA. For the most part, an extended Tri-Rail would benefit all the way from the 836 down to as far as the zoo and train museum by traveling through some populated areas that lack mass transit. South of there, the line would be sketchy at best. Line cuts thru some rural parts of sw dade as well as the rural areas of Homestead. In reality, the only TriRail station that would be needed would be at the end of the line in Florida city and maybe a park and ride lot built off of Krome Ave where the rail line crosses over. Not much else down there to justify an extension that way. The real ideal choice still remains to run Metro Rail south on the former FEC ROW all the way down to Florida City as it remains close to the more populated areas and businesses. The CSX line is too far to the west away from the more populated areas closer to US1. So as we say in the rail business, an abandoned rail line doesn't necessarily mean the end. The future can always turn things around and make these rails relevant either as a commuter line for TriRail, or Metrorail line, or a light rail line.

Rockingham Racer

Re: CSX abandons lower Homestead extension

Post by Rockingham Racer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Tri-Rail had proposed running commuter trains on this line about 5 years ago. But I guess it fizzled. It would've been a great benefit to Kendall and points south.

mark777

Post by mark777 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:33 am

TriRail will probably make it south past MIA at some point in the future, I think that's bound to happen. But the furthest I see it going is as far as where the museum is, and even make some sense to head a little west on the branch by Tamiami airport. South of the area around the zoo becomes a bit too rural. My Father in Law has these tracks behind his yard in Homestead, an honestly, there isn't much around there to even justify an extension let alone a station. I'm not too warm and fuzzy about ridership from Florida City or Homestead, Not for TriRail at least. But a light rail line with some DMUs, maybe. But hands down, the best idea is to have Metrorail reclaim the former FEC ROW from that busway and head all the way to FC.

Arlington

Post by Arlington » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Is the state (or other government entity) willing to buy it from CSX and hold it in advance of future need?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn

Return to “Florida Commuter Rail: Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals”