Genesee & Wyoming G&W Sold and Taken Private

For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Providence and Worcester

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
bostontrainguy

Re: Genesee & Wyoming G&W Sold and Taken Private

Post by bostontrainguy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 am

I often check out a railroad's infrastructure on Google Earth and see many closed and unused businesses along the right of way. Old customers who won't be coming back. I always thought that if only the railroad could take over some of these industries and bring them back to life or at least reuse the properties for other rail-related use. A great example of this is the Grafton and Upton that has impressed me with their ability to resurrect a pretty-much dead line.

Now if Brookfield Infrastructure can do the same for all these similar businesses along the G&W tracks, they could maybe make a difference in the national carloads numbers.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:45 am

Brookfield is an interesting owner. They definitely like to buy, own and grow the assets they acquire.
gokeefe

Fritz

Post by Fritz » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Hello,
Has anyone heard the results of the Special Meeting at which shareholders were to vote on whether or not to approve the "privatization" of Genesee & Wyoming? The meeting was supposed to have been held on October 3rd, but I have not seen anything in the news.
Best,
Fritz

troffey

Post by troffey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:04 pm

This is all I've seen, but it indicates the offer was approved by shareholders:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/429544 ... ber-6-2019

Shortline614

Post by Shortline614 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:49 pm

From Trains Magazine: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... e--wyoming

The Surface Transportation Board has approved the sale of Gennsee & Wyoming. The sale should close sometime late this year or early next year. After that, let's see what happens next.
C&O: George Washington's Railroad!

Return to “Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Class II & III Lines”