Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1492922  by MADDOG

Hi Folks,
just a heads up to you all:
the LIRR has a line up of cars in Dunkirk yard that are heading to scrap. Easily seen just east of Hillside from the Babylon branch. One yellow passenger coach and 3 hacks .

Also you will see a 40 foot boxcar that is separate. It is owned by OBRM and will be moved to a different track to be loaded onto a flatbed truck for movement to OBRM's display yard in due time.

Get your cameras ready because time is fleeting.
MADDOG
 #1492927  by ConstanceR46

The coach is an Osgood Bradley, much like the one in Twin Forks NHRS collection.

Any idea of the ownership of the hacks?
 #1492944  by RGlueck

What's the heritage of the hacks, and what kind of condition are they in? Trucks suitable for interchange?
 #1493060  by DogBert

Hacks are all LIRR owned so far as I know. Not sure if they are interchangeable but that passenger car sounds like it'll need to go out on a flatbed.

Did Frontier buy this batch as well?
 #1493079  by cr9617

DogBert wrote:Hacks are all LIRR owned so far as I know. Not sure if they are interchangeable but that passenger car sounds like it'll need to go out on a flatbed.

Did Frontier buy this batch as well?
They are indeed LIRR owned. The N-5B (I think its a b) was offered to museums for preservation but it was determined that its too far gone. Most of the floor and lower body is rotted away, its basically just a shell. The plan is for Frontier to scrap them on site this weekend.
 #1493119  by ConstanceR46

C-54, C-56 and C-61 were all on property in 2010 - Possibly part of the deadline, but none of them are in that bad a condition. The N-5 is C-2, a former OBRM piece that was too worn out to preserve.

I wonder if the rest of the Osgoods will be cut up next.
 #1493297  by MADDOG

ConstanceR46 wrote:C-54, C-56 and C-61 were all on property in 2010 - Possibly part of the deadline, but none of them are in that bad a condition. The N-5 is C-2, a former OBRM piece that was too worn out to preserve.

I wonder if the rest of the Osgoods will be cut up next.
AFAIK- was informed that all of the Osgood Bradley cars are going to go.
If anyone notices a 40 foot boxcar in Dunkirk yard, it IS NOT going to scrap.
It's owned by OBRM and will be leaving Dunkirk in about a week to go up to Oyster Bay RR Museum yard.
MADDOG
 #1493316  by Dump The Air

which bay window hack was the one rebuilt by ozark mountain railcar years and years ago? has that one been sitting out rotting with the rest of them?
 #1493322  by ConstanceR46

Okay, so the 3 hacks are C-61, C-54 and C-56.

I don't see why none of these were grabbed for preservation, as they were serviceable. Eh, thus is life.
 #1493333  by DogBert

I worked with community group in LIC that requested a caboose a few years ago. Nothing came of it. 🤷🏼‍♂️ it would have made a nice public display/history & education piece.
 #1493352  by Ðauntless

ConstanceR46 wrote:Okay, so the 3 hacks are C-61, C-54 and C-56.

I don't see why none of these were grabbed for preservation, as they were serviceable. Eh, thus is life.
You make it sound like nobody tried.

Either way, plenty of LIRR hacks preserved. On and off LI.
 #1493356  by ConstanceR46

I mean, yeah, i'm not trying to make museums out as bad guys here, just pointing out that it seemed strange.

again, thus is life.
 #1493383  by RGlueck

Something as cherished as a caboose going to scrap in 2018; just seems wrong. What's happening the the trucks?
 #1493399  by MADDOG

ConstanceR46 wrote:I mean, yeah, i'm not trying to make museums out as bad guys here, just pointing out that it seemed strange.

again, thus is life.
It shouldn't seem strange. RMLI has a couple and OBRM has a couple. OBRM's #50 is an N22 (prototype) which has been restored and can operate. Our #12 is a wood N52 cupola car which was restored and can also be operated.
You can't save them all and please keep in mind that even after the acquisition (which can be costly)there is the cost of preserving the car, the cost of restoration and finally, maintenance and upkeep.
Every car in OBRM's yard except for the Ping Pong Coach, which has begun it's restoration ($$$) will need to be "freshened" up every few years due to their being outside.

No blame, just the facts.
MADDOG