F40PH-2CAT's

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

User avatar
liftedjeep
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 pm
Location: Along the former Camden & Burlington County Railroad

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by liftedjeep » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Fan Railer wrote:Return of 4119 to revenue:

Bay St Shuttle 8/5/18 - https://youtu.be/CkqRYaQPMIM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MOBO @ Denville 8/6/18 - https://youtu.be/4kjnjTA8Uqc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#4119 is acting solely as a cab car. #4202 is providing HEP.
Still cool to see the F40PH-2CAT in action however!
Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net

Fan Railer
Posts: 2197
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by Fan Railer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:07 pm

https://youtu.be/2fctewaypas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Convent
https://youtu.be/4mJyRDy41F0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Dover
https://youtu.be/4e59eLN6w0E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Westwood

airman00
Posts: 1425
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by airman00 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Awesome video of 4119 thru Westwood! That’s my town! On a side note, what specifically is wrong with 4119’s HEP? And would it take much to get it operational again?

User avatar
liftedjeep
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 pm
Location: Along the former Camden & Burlington County Railroad

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by liftedjeep » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:50 pm

airman00 wrote:Awesome video of 4119 thru Westwood! That’s my town! On a side note, what specifically is wrong with 4119’s HEP? And would it take much to get it operational again?

I believe #4119's HEP was removed when it, as well as #4120 were delegated to work service.
Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net

airman00
Posts: 1425
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by airman00 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 pm

liftedjeep wrote:
airman00 wrote:Awesome video of 4119 thru Westwood! That’s my town! On a side note, what specifically is wrong with 4119’s HEP? And would it take much to get it operational again?

I believe #4119's HEP was removed when it, as well as #4120 were delegated to work service.
Ben
Not exactly forward thinking... especially given all the equipment issues recently, a couple more engines they could press into revenue service would come in handy. Why couldn’t they just “winterize” the HEP motor just to keep ok in case of future need for it? You know drain the fluids, pull plugs, etc, just to make it easy to return to service if needed?

EuroStar
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by EuroStar » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:20 am

airman00 wrote:Not exactly forward thinking... especially given all the equipment issues recently, a couple more engines they could press into revenue service would come in handy. Why couldn’t they just “winterize” the HEP motor just to keep ok in case of future need for it? You know drain the fluids, pull plugs, etc, just to make it easy to return to service if needed?
More likely NJT needed the HEP motors for parts to keep other units running.

glennk419
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: Southeastern PA & Cape May County, NJ

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by glennk419 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 am

4119 is operating as more than just a cab car as it was obviously running and providing tractive effort. The acceleration provided by two units on the short trains was also quite obvious.
Glenn

ALP45DP 4515
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 am

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by ALP45DP 4515 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Spotted 4202 and 4119 in South Orange heading west towards Dover/Gladstone on the M&E. Was moving at a good clip. As soon as I saw the nose of 4202 appear, I knew I was in for a treat.

R36 Combine Coach
Posts: 5482
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by R36 Combine Coach » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 pm

Will 4119/4202 do the Montclair Branch for the weekend?
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.

van2005ko
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA --> 5.9 MP Overbrook

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by van2005ko » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:03 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Will 4119/4202 do the Montclair Branch for the weekend?
Second this notion and also which trains has an highly likely-hood of it appearing on?
Philadelphia Transit Vehicles :: Covers Philadelphia with expansion to Delaware, New Jersey and PA.

Fan Railer
Posts: 2197
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by Fan Railer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:32 pm

The HEP motors on 4119 and 4120 are still very much intact, although they're not not really good for providing more power than needed to run on-board HVAC on the locomotives.

Fan Railer
Posts: 2197
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by Fan Railer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:26 am

4119 (8/17/18 subject to change): 808/1309/X15/1116

airman00
Posts: 1425
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by airman00 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:04 pm

I saw #4119 in Hoboken today, inside the terminal acting as a cab car. Pretty cool to see up close. And ironically a metro north F40 was leader on that particular train, so a rare train with an F40 on each end! In addition to this, I also saw #4120 sitting solo by itself in the Hoboken yard. Any plans to reactive the #4118 also?

CNJGeep
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: A Small Onion

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by CNJGeep » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:17 pm

airman00 wrote:I saw #4119 in Hoboken today, inside the terminal acting as a cab car. Pretty cool to see up close. And ironically a metro north F40 was leader on that particular train, so a rare train with an F40 on each end! In addition to this, I also saw #4120 sitting solo by itself in the Hoboken yard. Any plans to reactive the #4118 also?
The 4119 and 4120 are the only two left on the property.
"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother." RIP D.C.

airman00
Posts: 1425
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: F40PH-2CAT's

Post by airman00 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 pm

CNJGeep wrote:
airman00 wrote:I saw #4119 in Hoboken today, inside the terminal acting as a cab car. Pretty cool to see up close. And ironically a metro north F40 was leader on that particular train, so a rare train with an F40 on each end! In addition to this, I also saw #4120 sitting solo by itself in the Hoboken yard. Any plans to reactive the #4118 also?
The 4119 and 4120 are the only two left on the property.
Somebody had said the #4118 was OOS at the MMC. I guess she is gone too then. I did not know that. Sorry.

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”