Railroad Forums 

• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#965485  by gp80mac

Sorry, but you cannot speak for the rulebooks of other class ones. My class-1 does not require them for T&E.

Rules are different for different roads.
 #965512  by Freddy

gp80mac wrote:Sorry, but you cannot speak for the rulebooks of other class ones. My class-1 does not require them for T&E.

Rules are different for different roads.
Interesting, what railroad do you work for and what's your senority date. Mine is Aug.26th.1974. CSX and before that SCL. I know they do because of having to handle drawheads.
 #965524  by gp80mac

Sorry, but I choose not to share information about what road I do and/or have worked for in the past.

But there is at least one (maybe it's the only one - I am/was only privy to one road's rules and regulations) that do not make T&E guys have steel-toed boots. I do not know why they don't, but it is what it is.

To get back on topic: boot dryers are really nice to have. Esp. in winter.
 #965528  by x60pilot

I just hired into CSX and the email I recieved for Freight Conductor, required items and I quote "• High-top (6-inch or more) lace-up boots with a defined heel. Steel toe not required." Steel toes are not required for CSX Freight Conductor. Maybe the rules have changed since 1974. I know the pair they give you is steel toe, but you DO NOT have to wear steel toe boots if you choose to provide your own.
 #965546  by scharnhorst

x60pilot wrote:I just hired into CSX and the email I recieved for Freight Conductor, required items and I quote "• High-top (6-inch or more) lace-up boots with a defined heel. Steel toe not required." Steel toes are not required for CSX Freight Conductor. Maybe the rules have changed since 1974. I know the pair they give you is steel toe, but you DO NOT have to wear steel toe boots if you choose to provide your own.
I would suspect that there looking at it the same way as anyone else some times steel toes make things a lot worse off than if you had non-steel toes.
 #966059  by jr145

And honestly the only thing that a steel toe MIGHT save you on is if you drop a knuckle on your foot. But I think even then the weight would probably be enough to bend the steel toe.
 #967339  by x60pilot

Do your rain pants have to be reflective too? I just picked up a nice class 3 rain jacket. Do I need to get new rain pants as well or can I just wear the ones I have? And on that note, which pants do you use? Is it worth it to get something like the carhart rain pants?
 #967570  by jr145

As long as they're somewhat thick you should be fine. Any thin cheapy rain coats/pants will probably get caught on something and rip. And the pants don't need to be reflective. It won't hurt, but its not a necessity. The coat covers that for you.
 #968004  by scharnhorst

moomoo8881 wrote:Does the rain coat have to be lime green or does color not matter as long as the reflective stripes?
I would assume that Lime Green, yellow and Orange would be ok they seem to be the normal colors used by almost everyone in the Transportation and construction industry.
 #968018  by jr145

Each company is different, some more strict than the others. I'd ask your road foreman or other person if the company has certain standards for it. I know some railroads require T&E to use lime green and track,car,mechanical to use orange or vice versa.

But you should have one or the other so that you're visible in the daytime as well as the night time.
 #968264  by Kazecap0ne

csx t&e you can wear any rain jacket as long as u wear your bright yellow vest over it or u can order the csx "approved" rain jacket from the gateway so u don't have to worry about the vest.