Railroad Forums 

• ANNOUNCEMENT! Users with Zero Posts to be Pruned

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#955943  by baileyjet2000

I agree with your process. However I am one of those who very really post as I live quite a distance from NY. I do however like to see what is happening up in NY so i hope i am noe affected by this process.

Thks

Ray J (bailyjet) in RSW
 #955988  by MEC407

Lurkers will still be able to lurk as much as they want, as the forum is "open" and posts can be viewed by anyone regardless of whether they're logged in with an account or not.
 #956105  by John_Perkowski

All moderators are volunteer ... it's a labor of love thing.

Jeff, as the Admin, is paid, but it's not his day job.

If you want to step up to the plate and help, PM Jeff! :-)
 #956132  by David Benton

oh no ! this move will get rid of virtually all our female members . i cant dream of meeting a female railfan from Serbia , with a website bringing in the dollars from gold watches anymore . oh well .
 #956138  by Uzi-Cat

David Benton wrote:oh no ! this move will get rid of virtually all our female members . i cant dream of meeting a female railfan from Serbia , with a website bringing in the dollars from gold watches anymore . oh well .
Actually, a very good point! Perhaps we could reconsider this? Think of the consequences Jeff!
 #956140  by MEC407

Maybe have a RAILROAD.NET Ladies Night. :wink:
 #956153  by lpetrich

I'm an admin at another board, and I've been very successful at keeping out spammers. I have these lines of defense:

A captcha: reCAPTCHA

A challenge question. I installed "NoSpam!", a vBulletin add-on that implements challenge questions. I use simple ones, like
2 plus 3 equals:five:5

Putting new members into a moderation queue so I can check them out before admitting them.

A geolocator for IP addresses. I've found this one to be very reliable: http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup

Sites that list known spammers. My favorite is http://www.stopforumspam.com though I've used http://www.botscout.com

IP banning. I mostly use that for spammers coming from a certain place.

I also log every spammer that tries to register, so I can look for repeat cases and patterns.
 #956179  by Jeff Smith

Uzi-Cat wrote:
David Benton wrote:oh no ! this move will get rid of virtually all our female members . i cant dream of meeting a female railfan from Serbia , with a website bringing in the dollars from gold watches anymore . oh well .
Actually, a very good point! Perhaps we could reconsider this? Think of the consequences Jeff!
Maybe we should put up a railroad.net poll on the FB page asking gender? LOL.
 #956204  by BostonUrbEx

What about deleting accounts based on their last log in instead? If you haven't logged in for a year AND have less than 50 posts, safe to say you're not that interested. Also, may I ask what the intent is? To free up usernames? To reduce resources spent on storing accounts?
 #956214  by CVRnut

I guess I am one of the first that has had to re-register. My former handle was Wess and due to Life having a way of wrecking my hobby time hadnt been able to even check in much here. You might find it interesting that I have been employed by a shortline railroad these last five years. Other than a recent post in the Western Railfan Forum this is the only other post for the moment. I will probably spend most of my time lurking though. Strangely I have noticed that I cannot PM any of the moderators and am locked out of some of the forums, mainly the general discussion forums. I do hope to contribute some but for now am just getting settled back in here.
CVRnut
Attachments:
new sand dune MP 47.0 west of Johnson City, Ks.  Site of a fire that put two miles out of service in this stretch of track
new sand dune MP 47.0 west of Johnson City, Ks. Site of a fire that put two miles out of service in this stretch of track
61211_3.jpg (126.1 KiB) Viewed 8542 times
 #956216  by markhb

Jeff Smith wrote:
Uzi-Cat wrote:
Maybe we should put up a railroad.net poll on the FB page asking gender? LOL.
A/S/MP? :-D