Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#897717  by Otto Vondrak

I can't find a current MOW roster, can someone help me fill in the info? How many rail-based plows and flangers and other snowfighting equipment does Metro-North have to apply to clearing the tracks?

-otto-
 #897719  by DutchRailnut

A few Ballast regulators. http://gbrower.com/images/Ballast%20Regulator%20(2).jpg
a few Badger ditch diggers
a few Jet powered snow blowers. http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages ... Blower.jpg
and 5 snow blower trucks to clear third rail.
rest is locomotive snow plows

Snow removal from tracks has not been much of problem, its the snow piled up between tracks in yards, that hinders repairs and inspections, parking lots and acces roads are blocked.
The trains do a great job of clearing snow
 #897786  by DutchRailnut

Flanger was scapped at same time as Niagara Jct Switchers, last time it was used was 2 days after 1996 snowstorm.
 #898038  by Otto Vondrak

Odd that they would scrap all of the flangers. Railroads keep that stuff in storage for years knowing they will need it "some day..."

-otto-
 #898039  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Otto..........

Here are some shots of one of our snow blower trucks in action clearing switches and track in Stamford Yard after this past big snowstorm..........

#899105  by RearOfSignal

Otto Vondrak wrote:Nice to have trucks to clear the yard, but no rail-based equipment to clear the mains?
It's mostly the interlockings that need clearing, there's hi-rail equipment that does that with blowers.
 #899728  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Otto Vondrak wrote:Nice to have trucks to clear the yard, but no rail-based equipment to clear the mains?
The switches on the Main Lines are cleared mostly manually by the C&S personnel, but if needed, the Snow Jets can be called in to blast the show away, and also they use the same trucks as photographed. I mainly seen maintainers out there in the interlockings doing the cleaning the ol' fashioned way!!! And for snow buildup on the tracks themselves outside the interlockings, nothing beats a 130-ton locomotive or EMU, "plowin' the road" :-D (For example, a Mini-Bomb out of Stamford Yard plowed the New Canaan Branch after the last big storm)
 #899767  by RearOfSignal

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
(For example, a Mini-Bomb out of Stamford Yard plowed the New Canaan Branch after the last big storm)
Yeah and it got stuck up there, then the Stamford switcher came to rescue it, it got stuck too, then the PMMO came up to save the day.
 #900463  by roee

Does Metro-North not have any switch heaters at it's interlockers? I know I've seen ones on NJT.
 #900817  by RearOfSignal

roee wrote:Does Metro-North not have any switch heaters at it's interlockers? I know I've seen ones on NJT.
Yes, they do. However, not sure about the interlockings with just split point derails, I don't think the derails have heaters. Had to get talked passed a signal at CP230 a few weeks ago during the massive snow storms, couldn't see where the split derail was exactly with snow up above top of rail, but could see that rail wasn't split or broken anywhere, so we went.