Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#894129  by brettj22

Half of a double leaf door on a New Haven line MU stuck open for almost three minutes. I can't believe no one actually went to do anything about it!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/vide ... jVOgLUqykK
A Metro-North train packed with passengers and hurtling at full speed was videotaped with a door dangerously stuck open — and has the MTA scrambling to conduct emergency inspections. No one was injured in the freak incident on yesterday’s 8 a.m. New Caanan to Grand Central train — which was posted on YouTube today.
 #894139  by Clean Cab

I cannot believe those passengers just stood there and joked about this serious situation. I wonder what they would have done if someone fell out? I'd have told a crew member or pulled the emergency brake cord. Thankfully no one was injured.
 #894151  by DutchRailnut

with the powdery snow this stuff happens folks, snow blows inside door pockets and shorts the miro switches.
so a doorlight at engineers console still lights and train takes power.
Only way for anyone to know is if someone guards the vestibule and someone notifies crew?
even crew member qualifications do not require clear voyancy ;-)
 #894155  by brettj22

They even seem to think it's funny! I can understand someone not pulling the emergency brake since there are so many warnings not to pull it on the emergency situation summaries by those doors, but no one even thought to look for a conductor or tell people to stand back???

I officially nominate the numbskull who stood right in front of the open door for the Darwin award...
 #894156  by metrony

More importantly like above posters have pointed out why are people just standing there like this is a normal occurrence???? The guy next to the door why didn't he move away??

Monday was like 10 degrees and with that wind blowing in it had to be at least -10 below zero.
 #894242  by NJD8598

Channel 2 NY reported that someone did go to get a conductor but that it had closed by the time he or she arrived. These people were on the last stretch of their trip, while I am really surprised that guy didn't at least step to the other side of the vestibule, they probably figured there was not much that they could do other then to try to find someone and that they'd be arriving at Grand Central in just a few minutes anyways. You can't really figure people out in these kind of situations, but I can tell you for sure I wouldn't have been standing there.
 #894293  by DutchRailnut

And how many people rode in open vestibules of ACMU's ??
How many people ride in end vestibules of Bombardiers were it clearly states " passengers can not ride in end vestibules"
 #894327  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:And how many people rode in open vestibules of ACMU's ??
How many people ride in end vestibules of Bombardiers were it clearly states " passengers can not ride in end vestibules"
And how many people rode the open vestibules of the pre-Bomb equipment on the Danbury? I remember people swinging off the train before it had completely *stopped* at Branchville, Cannondale etc. back before the high level platforms. While I don't understand why that one guy would stand right there given the cold, I do understand why the passengers probably thought they'd just rather put up with it for the <10 minutes between 125 and GCT rather than pull the brake and wind up sitting on the viaduct or in the tunnel for however long it took to fix the door.
 #894334  by Jeff Smith

I call it "brain-freeze" from the cold temps. ;-)

I had ocassion to ride the ACMU's to T'Town circa 2000, right before retirement. I'd ride in the vestibule and step off just as the train stopped. But I made da*n sure I was holding on to something in the vestibule, and that nothing I was wearing/carrying was caught on anything when I got off.

But then again, I used to ride helicopters that way, too. I don't think I'd trust a day-trader to do it.....

Perfectly safe? Not likely. Reckless? Maybe. Would I recommend doing it? No way. Would I have stood in that doorway? Uh-uh. Of course now I have a family.
 #894370  by Slides

Here's the original video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeR97twhOU

And the comment from the guy who took the video:
"The door was in its pocket, not sure it could have been pulled out and a passenger did tell a conductor, but he never came back to check it out even though he was in the same car with us."

But I would NOT be standing there if I was a passenger.