Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#874887  by nytrainsgogo

because CDOT modestly increases prices, even for the NY passengers on the I-95 corridor who aren't from CT. There should be some blue division catenary cars [new M8s?] serving only NY customers by MTA with no Connecticut intervention.

Also, is there a good deal of NH line customers going to the Harlem line stops between Woodlawn and Fordham? If so they could have some of these trains make harlem line local stops, or at least have a "change at Mount Vernon East" [possibly with a Blue Division m7 :-) :-) :-)]
 #875528  by Ridgefielder

How do you make it that having a train terminate at Stamford instead of Port Chester increases the fare for Westchester residents? It's my impression that the fares east of the Byram River are actually *lower* on a per-mile basis than those on the Harlem or Hudson Divisions, at least as of right now.

As a historical note, once upon a time the New Haven actually did have some services that terminated in Port Chester; there was even a yard for the MU fleet, just east of the river and over the Greenwich line, on the south side of the tracks-- it was pulled out in I think the early '50s although others on this board will know the precise dates...
 #885339  by RearOfSignal

Looking over some books I have, a timetable from 1865 shows the New York and Hew Haven RR making stops at Williams' Bridge.
 #885694  by checkthedoorlight

Oh great, just what this forum needs, another foamer with dreams of the M7's running to MVE.....remember that even most of the Harlem line trains skip the Bronx stations or only make Fordham. The LIRR has the same deal with Forest Hills, Kew Gardens and St Albans, and none of their service has a special obligation to skip them.

On a more serious note, there did used to be a small yard just east of Port Chester station, and the property is still unclaimed....
 #885746  by DutchRailnut

The small yard in front of Life saver building is old NYW&B rr it surely is not unclaimed as several industries occupy the property.
 #885765  by H.F.Malone

The "small yard" just east of Port Chester station on the west side was a New Haven local freight yard-- team tracks and a small freight house. The bridge abutments along the streets there show the evidence of the removed girders for accessinto that yard-- it was facing point westbound. The NYW&B "layup" tracks were further west, west of the NYW&B station.

In Byram (Railroad "East Port Chester"), there was a New Haven MU storage yard on the eastbound side of the mainline. major remnants of that were in place until at least 1969, heavily overgrown. There was also an isolated (on disconnected track) steel boxcar alongside a small warehouse at the east end of that site. That car vanished by the late 70s.
 #885810  by Tommy Meehan

I remember when it was still active in the 1960s. Frequently saw a switcher-type locomotive with caboose in there. Often quite a few freight cars too.

I think it was located on North Willets Avenue. Does that sound right? There was a McGinnis-era sign at the street entrance that may've had that name. Possibly a stationary crane?

Now back to Metro-North! :)
 #889648  by Walter Sobchak

nytrainsgogo wrote:because CDOT modestly increases prices, even for the NY passengers on the I-95 corridor who aren't from CT. There should be some blue division catenary cars [new M8s?] serving only NY customers by MTA with no Connecticut intervention.

Also, is there a good deal of NH line customers going to the Harlem line stops between Woodlawn and Fordham? If so they could have some of these trains make harlem line local stops, or at least have a "change at Mount Vernon East" [possibly with a Blue Division m7 :-) :-) :-)]

CDOT does not increase prices for New York State customers; those fares are set by the MTA. With the price hike, the MTA raised prices so that a trip from Larchmont or Rye is now the same price as from Old Greenwich.

The 66-33 cost split for the New Haven Line (and it's for the entire New Haven Line, not just that part in CT) between CDOT and the MTA is probably a major reason for the Fordham receive/discharge continuing to exist. For a ticket from New Haven to Fordham, the revenue is split accordingly. But for tickets to Fordham from GCT or White Plains, the MTA gets 100% of the revenue, and since Fordham is a very busy station, that's a lot of revenue. The MTA would have to figure out how to compensate CDOT for all the GCT-Fordham tickets collected on New Haven Line trains, and would end up losing some revenue that used to be exclusive on the Harlem Line and thus 100% for the MTA. This is the same reason diversion-in-stations (i.e. a GCT-Yonkers ticket is also valid to Mount Vernon West) is only valid on the Harlem and Hudson Lines, except for the convenience granted commuters with expensive monthly or weekly commutation tickets. Add in concerns about overcrowding, and it means just don't board a New Haven Line train inbound from Fordham, or you'll have to pay the fare from Mount Vernon East.

Interestingly, when/if New Haven Line trains ever go into Penn Station, the trains are supposed to serve a few new local stops in the Bronx.
 #889839  by Tommy Meehan

Walter Sobchak wrote:The MTA would have to figure out how to compensate CDOT for all the GCT-Fordham tickets collected on New Haven Line trains...
How much does MTA compensate CDOT for say a GCT-New Rochelle ticket collected on New Haven Line trains?
 #889921  by R36 Combine Coach

A similar arrangment is in place between MNCR and NJT for the Port Jervis & Pascack Valley lines.
 #890181  by Tommy Meehan

NJ Transit operates the New York portion of the Pascack Valley line and the Port Jervis line under contract. I don't think it is quite the same arrangement.
 #890304  by Train322

Are people in Portchester purchasing Internet discount tickets Greenwich to GCT? It's cheaper!

Also, why do we in Ct have to lose the single ride internet discount?
 #890390  by Tommy Meehan

Non-Internet Greenwich fares aren't cheaper than Port Chester fares. They're the same. One-way is $8.00 off-peak and $10.75 peak from both zones. How much would you save by ordering by Internet? I thought they eliminated that discount?
 #890546  by Train322

In Ct, they still have the internet discount.

The monthly is 4.74 less and ten trip is about 5% less.

Greenwhich to GCT
Ten Trip Peak N/A $107.50 $102.13
Ten Trip Off-Peak N/A $68.00 $64.60
Ten Trip Senior/Disabled/Medicare
This ticket is not valid on inbound AM peak trains. N/A $52.50 $49.88
WEEKLY - MONTHLY
Weekly N/A $76.00 $72.20
School Monthly N/A $159.00 N/A
Monthly N/A $237.00 $232.26

Rye or Port Chester to GCT
TEN TRIP
Ten Trip Peak N/A $107.50 $107.50
Ten Trip Off-Peak N/A $68.00 $68.00
Ten Trip Senior/Disabled/Medicare
This ticket is not valid on inbound AM peak trains. N/A $52.50 $52.50
WEEKLY - MONTHLY
Weekly N/A $76.00 $76.00
School Monthly N/A $159.00 N/A
Monthly N/A $237.00 $237.00
WEEKEND CITYTICKET
 #890611  by Tommy Meehan

Train322 wrote:The monthly is 4.74 less..
Most monthly buyers ride 44 times per month. So they'd save what, a eleven cents per ride? It's an interesting idea but I'm sure most riders wouldn't want to be bothered.

Of course there's the prestige value, flashing a Greenwich commuter ticket! :)