Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#866453  by bingdude

Saw crews cutting in a switch on the west side of the Hudson Line just north of University Heights. It isn't connected to anything yet. Is this a new team track or is a customer (the cement company) going to use it?
 #866780  by BobLI

Is that the area with a few abandoned tracks almost buried in the dirt?
 #866787  by DutchRailnut

Area is the n ew tracks (two years??) at location of old salt pile, oposite switch for BN yard.
 #866980  by Otto Vondrak

Butler Lumber is out, but there is talk about salt traffic.

Technically, a "team track" is a freight siding assigned to no customer, a public siding that anyone can pull up to and transload freight (so called from the days when teams of horses pulled wagons). If this siding has a specific purpose or customer, then it would be called a customer siding... or something...
 #867000  by Travelsonic

BobLI wrote:Is that the area with a few abandoned tracks almost buried in the dirt?
You mean the area with the NY Central Putnam Division remains/track?
 #867001  by DutchRailnut

nope other side , track 4 side
 #867717  by bingdude

As of Yesterday Am it's just a switch with a derail that ends. Since its next to a road and there are no buildings near, it could be either a team track or a customer siding. It looks like it might eventually be cut into the old sidings on that property, but right now there is a telephone pole that might need to be moved on the river side.

Maybe this is another siding to off-load debris from the East Side Access excavation?
 #891819  by Railfan-2

This switch does not serve the East Side Access (ESA) project. All ESA activity is in BN Yard on the east side of the mainline.
 #891913  by ajp

off topic but did i notice a caboose in the BN yard. I saw a cupola as i was driving down the Deegan.
 #899210  by MNR's #1 Conductor

I was under the understanding that that new siding is going to be used for rock salt deliveries for DOT/Sanitation usage. Last time I was up that way on the Hudson, the track was just completed, but nothing on the site otherwise.
 #899453  by freightguy

That's interesting alot of NYC salt used to make it's way to LIRR team yard where the Arch St Shop now stands. In Yard A there was even a track in the yard known as the Salt Lead. This business dried up in the early to mid 90's. I remember one the freight marketing managers saying how tough it was to get a permit for that stuff to store. Probably would of been some business if the switch was ready to go for this winter.
 #899729  by MNR's #1 Conductor

freightguy wrote:That's interesting alot of NYC salt used to make it's way to LIRR team yard where the Arch St Shop now stands. In Yard A there was even a track in the yard known as the Salt Lead. This business dried up in the early to mid 90's. I remember one the freight marketing managers saying how tough it was to get a permit for that stuff to store. Probably would of been some business if the switch was ready to go for this winter.
I thought it would have been ready too. I mean the land is an empty lot, and the switch and spur seemed ready well before the winter started.
 #899888  by railmason357

Went by the other day and saw a bunch of vests and hardhats there. Few had CSX on them. I heard it was going to be for stone, not salt.