Railroad Forums 

• CP SD40-2F Engines

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#748791  by MBTA1052

Hello to all members of the CP Rail Network, I was wondering what is the status of the only SD40-2F Engines that CP owns, dus to them having a 16-645E3 Engine Assembly that possibility why they are still In Service compared to the CN SD50Fs
 #748990  by MBTA1052

I Surprised that CP only Ordered 25 of those type of Engines... :wink:
 #749841  by SooLineRob

A side note to the CP SD40-2F story...

As the SD40-2 was the backbone of CP's locomotive fleet, when it came time to purchase new units, CP approached EMD about building another group of SD40's. Since the SD40-2 was an out of production model at the time, CP and EMD worked out a deal to build the SD40-2F. EMD really didn't want to build them, and tried to convince CP to purchase a current 710-equipped model. CP wanted to stay with the proven 645 engine, since that model was already supported by their mechanical department. The 25 units were built as SD40-2F's, and delivered to CP.

Upon delivery, EVERY UNIT of the 25 unit order suffered one form of failure or another. Shortly after their arrival, every unit was out of service at CP's Winnepeg, MB shop. EMD and CP worked feverishly to get the units working, and they kept failing. Over time, the units became roadworthy. CP was very upset, EMD blamed their suppliers, and the crews hated the things.

It's generally accepted that the SD40-2F debacle was the reason CP became a strong GE customer when it came time to renew their mainline locomotive fleet. CP did sample the SD90MAC, but that also flopped. EMD's use of two inverters (as opposed to GE's six) resulted in SD90MAC's becoming worthless during a road failure. Whereas a GE C44AC would lose a single traction motor, SD90MAC's would lose 3; an entire truck. Another epic failure for EMD.

So, the SD40-2F was the "beginning of the end" for EMD as far as CP was concerned. A proven design was somehow botched, and subsequent models (SD90MAC) didn't live up to the customer's expectations.
 #749891  by .missthealcos.

The problems with the SD40-2F, as I heard it at the time, were almost if not entirely due to engine bearing failure/excessive wear. I've heard 2 different accounts of it, one being simply the bearing supplier provided defective bearings, the other being that the now out of production 645's weren't constructed by GMD themselves, but by an outside supplier.

It was definatley at least partially the start of a souring between CP and GMD though. Back then CP was quite harsh in this respect, look what happened to MLW over the M636. Things aren't quite the same in the industry anymore though, GE has botched up their fair share with the AC4400's, but things are handled much differently now. Has alot to do with how the manufacturer deals with the issue. Both GMD and MLW seemed to think CP wouldn't turn their back on them, regardless of how they handled issues. Wrong!
 #750351  by Leo_Ames

.missthealcos. wrote:Yes, they are all still in service, and probably will be for a long time yet.
If they're still all in service, then that is a very recent event. Last June, three of them were involved in a derailment (9000, 9001, and 9018) and were all still out of service as of earlier this month.

Were they actually repaired and returned to service? I didn't expect that to happen until things improved a bit more.

I wonder if things would've been any better had CPR not changed their SD80MAC order to H engined and convertible SD90MAC's. CR seemed to be very pleased and made a repeat order (Later changed by CSX/NS's request), and they seem to remain good performers on NS/CSX today (Although, it appears like they're used in mostly secondary services). Guess we'll never know.
 #755075  by Engineer Spike

I never liked the 9000 series. They are hot in the summer. They have uncomfortable seats. One itme that was the only thing available and I had to use one as a switch engine. CP did better with having MK build SD40s out of 45s.
 #756875  by ENR3870

Engineer Spike wrote:I never liked the 9000 series. They are hot in the summer. They have uncomfortable seats. One itme that was the only thing available and I had to use one as a switch engine. CP did better with having MK build SD40s out of 45s.
Having run the CN SD50F's, SD60F's and C40-8M's I share you're sentiments.
 #1350070  by MEC407

10 of these beasts have apparently been leased or sold to the Central Maine & Quebec Railway (which seems to have a penchant for acquiring locos that other railroads hate — to wit, they sampled a bunch of GP20Ds which are all now in the process of being returned to the lessor).