Railroad Forums 

• Salt Lake City, UT: UTA TRAX

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#684921  by Finch

Cool pictures, thanks for the update. I'm not from anywhere near Utah but it's great to see projects like this going forward. It looks like a much less densely populated area than I would normally imagine light rail existing in. Perhaps this mode of transport is more flexible than I realized. What sorts of speeds to the TRAX trains get up to? Certainly on this new line they won't be blowing through busy intersections as much as a similar system in the heart of a city, so maybe they can "stretch their legs" a little bit between stops.
 #723092  by Finch

Another good installment/update on Utah stuff. Keep them coming! I am encouraged to see new projects like this springing up. Gives me hope for the industry as a whole. I must say, from the pictures it doesn't look like the population density is too high along much of this TRAX ROW. But I can't really tell.
 #723100  by TB Diamond

Assume that a lot of earth had to moved at Mesa in the cut where the old D&RGW quit following the Jordan River (when was this origional line relocation accomplished as the line at one time kept along the river past the location of Mesa)?
 #727030  by TB Diamond

Will answer my own query in sorts: The 2008 SPV CO/UT Railroad Atlas shows the proposed TRAX SLC Airport line paralleling the SLGW to the north out of downtown, then crossing it east of Buena Vista, again paralleling it to the south and finally re-crossing the SLGW and heading due north to the airport terminal. Do not know how accurate this depiction is, however.
 #728851  by ljeppson

No, SLG&W was relocated for freeway (I-215 construction) many years ago, so while it used to make a straight shot to the Great Salt lake , it now follows the UP. The Airport TRAX line follows North Temple Street, north side, straight west, whereupon it makes a slight curve to south before heading northwest to the airport. This is all completely away from the SLG&W to the south, or as we lovingly refer to it, the "Salty Garfield." At the present time right-of-way is being prepared in parts, no rail has been laid and will not be for some time. A major issue, I might add, is its manner of connecting with the TRAX main. The original proposal was to have it head straight to Salt Lake Central at 600 West Street. The locals didn't like that so the proposal now is to have it go over the UP tracks to 400 West to join the TRAX main there. This makes getting to Salt Lake Central a whole lot more circuitous. I think it is a mistake. But this isn't finalized. Stay tuned.
 #740740  by slchub

Shame really that UTA did not come up with a centralized location for all points to come together and meet to make transferring easier for all (UTA, TRAX, Amtrak and Greyhound). If I wanted to go from Layton to the airport it seems I would have to make at least three transfers to do so. Not very smart.