Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak NEC Virginia Regional Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#678706  by Darien Red Sox

realtype wrote:From the Examiner"
Amtrak said Wednesday it plans to start new daily commuter train service later this year from Richmond and Lynchburg to Washington.

» Richmond to D.C. — December 2009 start: One train will leave Richmond at 7 a.m., stopping in Ashland, Fredericksburg, Quantico, Woodbridge and Alexandria until it ends at L’Enfant Plaza in the District. An afternoon train will make the reverse trip at 3:55 p.m.

» Lynchburg to D.C. — October 2009 start: One train will leave Lynchburg at 7:38 a.m., with stops in Charlottesville, Culpeper, Manassas, Burke Centre, Alexandria and L’Enfant Plaza. The return train leaves D.C. at 4:50 p.m.

» The cost: Fares have not been determined. Virginia is paying the train service $17.2 million over three years.

» The benefit: State officials estimate the services will:

» Remove 1.4 million cars from highways

» Save more than 8.3 million gallons of fuel

» Eliminate 66,000 tons of carbon emissions each year

I guess I was wrong, the new service will terminate at L'Enfant, or that's all Virginia paying for. If they were gonna do that they should have just made it a Virginia Railway Express service, although Richmond and Lynchburg to DC isn't rally a "commuter" route.
What is this terminating at L’Enfant Plaza for? Wouldn't there be more passengers if it was an extension of an NEC train, allowing people to easy go beyond DC? Or at least run it to so connections can easily be made.
 #678717  by Matt Johnson

Still doesn't help me reach my alma mater, Virginia Tech. I wish I could take a train down there...at least as far as Roanoke, where I could always rent a car. As it stands, I don't go down there much given that it's an 8+ hour drive each way and 1000 miles of wear and tear on my car to go down and back.
 #678722  by drewh

No I think now after re-reading this, it says service to Wash, with stops at ... L'Enfant. Just badly written I think.
 #678725  by realtype

chefwrg wrote:Where in the world are they going to turn the train? Do they still have to go up to Union Station?
I know, it doesn't make any sense. They would still have to go up to WAS to turn and layover.
drewh wrote:No I think now after re-reading this, it says service to Wash, with stops at ... L'Enfant. Just badly written I think.
Well it says "terminating at L'Enfant." On it's own I wouldn't believe, but it's what the press release said as well.
 #678732  by Greg Moore

I wonder if this is a result of just the language in the bill/contract. I.e. the train already goes to Union Station, so they're not really "adding" that stop or anything. I.e. it'll still go to Union Station, but Amtrak still pays for that. Virginia is just paying for stops starting south of there.
 #678735  by Darien Red Sox

Greg Moore wrote:I wonder if this is a result of just the language in the bill/contract. I.e. the train already goes to Union Station, so they're not really "adding" that stop or anything. I.e. it'll still go to Union Station, but Amtrak still pays for that. Virginia is just paying for stops starting south of there.
Lets hope that it is miss worded and is as the original information said and is an extension of an Northeast Regional
 #678737  by chefwrg

It's got to be something like that. Stopping at L'enfant makes no sense, you have no where to go but into the tunnel. Plus, you have no direct connection to any of the NEC without taking a cab to Union Station, which makes no sense whatsoever. ( I know, I realize that the government isn't real big on common sense :wink: )
 #678746  by realtype

Greg Moore wrote:I wonder if this is a result of just the language in the bill/contract. I.e. the train already goes to Union Station, so they're not really "adding" that stop or anything. I.e. it'll still go to Union Station, but Amtrak still pays for that. Virginia is just paying for stops starting south of there.
That's what I think it is.
 #678796  by Darien Red Sox

Vincent wrote:A copy of the agreement between Amtrak and Virginia is posted on the web via the VDRPT website. The new trains will originate and terminate at Washington Union Station with a stop at L'Enfant. Proposed schedules begin on pdf-page 21.
Thanks for the link and the clarification, I will read over the linked file at some point. Still wondering when Amtrak will list these services on there online timetable. It would make seance for VA to be able to sell tickets on the trains as soon as possible.
 #679017  by Darien Red Sox

I got a chance to read over the documents and for the weekday trains the numbers line up with those of Northeast Regional trains. Don't know how long the train will sit in DC though because of all of the recent schedule changes, I am guessing some ware around 30" for the locomotive change.
 #679275  by JimBoylan

Darien Red Sox wrote:Still wondering when Amtrak will list these services on there online timetable. It would make seance for VA to be able to sell tickets on the trains as soon as possible.
Excerpted from
http://www.railpace.com/hotnews/
Detailed schedules and fares will be finalized by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation and Amtrak in the coming months.
 #704649  by Darien Red Sox

The Lindbergh Servace is now showing up in the booking database!!!
 #704676  by Gilbert B Norman

Darien Red Sox wrote:The Lindbergh Servace is now showing up in the booking database!!!

....and the train will feature a Baggage Car in which everybody wil dance the Lucky Lindy Hop.

Otherwise, Lynchburg vice Lindbergh

Here is an abstract from the website covering the first day of service set for October 1 (fares removed).

• Select Service Departs Arrives Duration Amenities Seats/
    Rooms
    $XXXX 171 Northeast Regional
    Philadelphia, PA
    - 30th Street Station
    (PHL)
    2:16 pm
    01-OCT-09 Lynchburg, VA
    (LYH)
    8:36 pm
    01-OCT-09 6h 20m Snack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat

$XXXX 19 Crescent
    Philadelphia, PA
    - 30th Street Station
    (PHL)
    3:55 pm
    01-OCT-09 Lynchburg, VA
    (LYH)
    10:00 pm
    01-OCT-09 6h 5m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage 1 Reserved Coach Seat

$XXXX 20 Crescent
    Lynchburg, VA
    (LYH)
    6:07 am
    01-OCT-09 Philadelphia, PA
    - 30th Street Station
    (PHL)
    12:25 pm
    01-OCT-09 6h 18m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage 1 Reserved Coach Seat

$XXXX 176 Northeast Regional
    Lynchburg, VA
    (LYH)
    7:38 am
    01-OCT-09 Philadelphia, PA
    - 30th Street Station
    (PHL)
    1:55 pm
    01-OCT-09 6h 17m Snack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.