Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#677568  by Erie-Lackawanna

No, because the ban is on open containers. You're free to carry an unopened 6-pack through the station to the train, and open it after departure.

If they were told to drink their beer on the unpaid side of the gates before entering the station mezzanine, then I'm sure the NYPD would have raised some eyebrows (if they knew). Open containers aren't permitted in the overpass, or anywhere in the station complex. Outside the overpass, NYC law prohibits open containers of alcoholic beverages.

So basically, drink it up before you leave the stadium and carry the unopened ones to the train and wait until you're on your way home before you crack 'em open.

Jim
 #677580  by M1 9147

To get off that subject a little, I noticed by seeing pictures posted, some of the trains are actually wyeing Junction at Mott Haven to get to the stadium, then going to GCT, and the same in reverse for Harlem/New Haven Trains, or are they terminating there? I ask this because I live in LIRR territory, and my main informant who I used to bowl with and works for Metro North, I haven't seen him in a while!
 #677590  by DutchRailnut

Those extra Harlem and New Haven trains heading for Yankee Stadium , terminate in HighBridge yard.
Any regular Harlem/new haven trains do not stop at stadium but passenger need to take the Stadium shuttle or Hudson line train to stadium from GCT or 125th street.
 #677639  by Steamboat Willie

And there is only direct service from those outlying points on weekends. Tomorrow will be the first time service will be provided to the game during a weekday during PM rush hour (7:05pm game.)

Those trains who originate out of NH or Southeast, they layover in Highbridge until the game is finished. Then will they go back up to it's origination.

It'll be interesting to see how this shuttle service works during rush hour tomorrow.
 #677789  by M1 9147

Jaap, and Willie, thank you! I knew something was different here by looking at these posts! Now from what I see, not all Harlem/New Haven Trains will originate/terminate at GCT Now!
 #679769  by GreatOne2k7

How about if a game goes past 1:30am, or 2:00am?

Would GCT stay open longer, would the 153 to GCT shuttle still be running after 2:00am?

Extra Hudson line service would have to be run at least, Harlem and New Haven would at least have those extra Yankees trains delayed until the game ends (if regular MNR service ends from GCT).
 #679795  by njtmnrrbuff

Was at the new station yesterday. Crowded. The photo angles there aren't very good, at least looking from the ends of the platforms. They probably are better when there isn't a game since you don't have all of the trains blocking your view. I think the best time to take pics there is in the afternoon, of northbounds with the sun behind you.
 #679833  by Jeff Smith

RearOfSignal wrote:Hey, just thought about this, what happens when there's a double header? How are they to organize that!???
Teams that draw as well as the Yankees would schedule a doubleheader only as a last resort; they'd either use off-days, or schedule a day - night doubleheader with separate gates. I guess in that case you could have two MNRR schedule versions in effect in the same day, one for a day game, one for a night game. Now, if it were the Rays or Royals, yeah, a doubleheader might work. On a trivia level, I can't remember when the last scheduled (non-makeup) doubleheader was played.
 #679874  by The Interloafer

Harlem Line to Southeast wrote:I was traveling home the other evening (June 5th) when the Yankees game that day was canceled. I heard announcements both at Grand Central and at outlying stations on the Harlem Line.

Was the game canceled before Metro-North crews had been called in?
According to an MLB.com news article on the Yankees' website: "Heavy rains ... prompted the Yankees to postpone the game roughly three hours before its scheduled first pitch." First pitch was scheduled for 7:05 p.m., so the game would have been postponed at around 4:05 p.m.
 #679952  by RearOfSignal

Harlem Line to Southeast wrote:You misunderstood my question. Of course they wouldn't run empty trains. I was wondering if truly ALL the trains were canceled or if there were in fact a few shuttles that physically had crews in them, ready to go.
Of course they had crews waiting to go, once the game was canceled they went on their way back where they came from. It's not up to MNR, if the Yankees call the game MNR reacts to that. MNR doesn't predict weather.
 #679984  by RearOfSignal

Sarge wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Hey, just thought about this, what happens when there's a double header? How are they to organize that!???
Teams that draw as well as the Yankees would schedule a doubleheader only as a last resort; they'd either use off-days, or schedule a day - night doubleheader with separate gates. I guess in that case you could have two MNRR schedule versions in effect in the same day, one for a day game, one for a night game. Now, if it were the Rays or Royals, yeah, a doubleheader might work. On a trivia level, I can't remember when the last scheduled (non-makeup) doubleheader was played.
Day/night double headers are not allowed under the current CBA, except when the schedule allows no other alternative. Yes, they're not as common, but they do happen. I was at the last single gate double header at the old stadium against the Tigers. First game started at 4:00pm and went 15 innings where the yanks lost, the second game started at 10:30 pm ended close to 1am. Now that was fun. 10 hours of baseball.
 #680371  by DutchRailnut

Metro North can't adjust pay scales, or work rules, their negotiated in labor contracts, so metro north is contractual obligated.
 #680612  by Ridgefielder

Actually, on-topic, I rode this service for the first time on Sunday, GCT to the Stadium. Was impressed with both the station facilities at E153rd and the excellent job the MNRR personnel were doing on fare collection and just generally keeping people moving towards the ballpark. I was with my wife and father-in-law, and really appreciated being able to get facing seats on an M7, as opposed to having to stand on a packed #4 train all the way to 161st St (particularly as my father-in-law is from Virginia and not all that accustomed to NYCT).

After the game, it appeared the bulk of the passengers were heading for the New Haven Line trains; the inbound Croton-Harmon local we boarded didn't seem to load all that many passengers. It felt to me like the subway gets you back to Midtown quicker once you factor in waiting for MN, but that could well be an illusion-- I haven't actually ever timed the #4 between GCS and 161st St.

All in all, though, kudos to MNRR for bringing this long-overdue improvement on lline.