Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#673144  by Otto Vondrak

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:Um, yeah....those would be the ones available at your friendly neighborhood station, as noted above......

Jim
My friendly neighborhood station is all out, which is why I asked. I'll ask my friendly neighborhood ticket agent if he's going to stock up again.

-otto, your friendly neighborhood railfan-
 #673197  by truck6018

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Erie-Lackawanna wrote:Um, yeah....those would be the ones available at your friendly neighborhood station, as noted above......

Jim
My friendly neighborhood station is all out, which is why I asked. I'll ask my friendly neighborhood ticket agent if he's going to stock up again.

-otto, your friendly neighborhood railfan-
I can tell you for sure, as of this afternoon, North White Plains station had them. They are on the wall to the right of the ticket window.
 #673346  by Jeff Smith

The excitement is building:

Stamford Advocate
About two years after construction began, Metro-North on Saturday will begin direct service to its new $91 million Yankee Stadium/153rd St. station this weekend for New Haven, Harlem and Hudson line passengers. Metro-North expects up to 10,000 fans to pass through the station on game days.

The station will have year-round daily service, geared to residents of the Bronx, N.Y., who work in Yonkers, Tarrytown, Beacon and Poughkeepsie, N.Y., Metro-North spokeswoman Marjorie Anders said.
 #673697  by Harlem Line to Southeast

Here's a question that's not clearly addressed on the MTA's webpage for the station. I'm hoping maybe an employee who knows the answer could shed some light.

The webpage for the station says: "Alcoholic Beverages: The MTA Police and the New York Police Department want you to know that alcoholic beverages in open containers are not permitted in the Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station complex. "

Technically, that doesn't cover the train ride. Could it be possible that fans would be allowed to consume alcohol on the trains before detraining? For the sake of the train crew and the cleaning crew (and other more considerate passengers), I really hope alcoholic beverages are banned from the the GCT-125th St.-Yankee Stadium shuttles and all direct train service to the stadium from any line.
 #673709  by RearOfSignal

Harlem Line to Southeast wrote:Here's a question that's not clearly addressed on the MTA's webpage for the station. I'm hoping maybe an employee who knows the answer could shed some light.

The webpage for the station says: "Alcoholic Beverages: The MTA Police and the New York Police Department want you to know that alcoholic beverages in open containers are not permitted in the Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station complex. "

Technically, that doesn't cover the train ride. Could it be possible that fans would be allowed to consume alcohol on the trains before detraining? For the sake of the train crew and the cleaning crew (and other more considerate passengers), I really hope alcoholic beverages are banned from the the GCT-125th St.-Yankee Stadium shuttles and all direct train service to the stadium from any line.
Why do you have to be an employee to know the answer it's pretty clear? The intent of the rule is more for the trains leaving the game than for those going to the game. They do not want drunken fans crowded into the station waiting area or platform at the end of the game, which could incite reckless behavior. But it's not to say that if you bring a beer off the train into the station that the police won't tell you to finish it before leaving the station. But as you said it says nothing about on the train. So according to what is said, you could bring a closed container into the station and then open it on the train, and finish it before you leave the train. This is nothing new, they do the same thing on certain evenings in the summer and holidays on trains arriving in GCT, you must consume on dispose of any alcohol before exiting the gates at the terminal.
 #673725  by Harlem Line to Southeast

RearOfSignal wrote:Why do you have to be an employee to know the answer it's pretty clear? The intent of the rule is more for the trains leaving the game than for those going to the game. They do not want drunken fans crowded into the station waiting area or platform at the end of the game, which could incite reckless behavior. But it's not to say that if you bring a beer off the train into the station that the police won't tell you to finish it before leaving the station. But as you said it says nothing about on the train. So according to what is said, you could bring a closed container into the station and then open it on the train, and finish it before you leave the train. This is nothing new, they do the same thing on certain evenings in the summer and holidays on trains arriving in GCT, you must consume on dispose of any alcohol before exiting the gates at the terminal.
Actually, this is something new, since this is MN's first station at a sports venue. Ask the LIRR. Providing service to sporting events means that there are going to be many more riders wanting to consume alcohol than you would normally see. I would advocate for a ban on open containers of alcohol on any trains where there is likely to be a high concentration of riders going to the stadium. In other words -- any New Haven or Harlem Line train going direct to the stadium, any GCT-125th-Yankee Stadium Shuttle, and any Hudson Line train marked with an L, P, M, and/or N on the timetable. Unfortunately, I acknowledge that this still doesn't account for NH and Harlem Line trains that don't go direct to the stadium but allow passengers to connect with shuttles. And consistency is important when applying a policy. Thoughts on any of this from anyone?
 #673731  by RearOfSignal

No it's not nothing new, the station is new but not the policies. In NYC you cannot have an open container of alcohol in public, stations are considered public places, The trains and areas inside the gates at GCT are not public places as regards this law. So nothing is new, the statement made on the page is simply a reminder.
 #673743  by Jeff Smith

For instance, you can't parade across the main councourse at GCT with an open beer, right? It's no different than any of the other stations or public spaces. That's why the alcohol sales are done at the end of the platform - you buy your beer, or get your airline cocktail bottle and mixer, and bring it on the train with you before you open it.

As for banning alcohol on the trains, there's a wide disparity of opinion on here about that, and let's not open that can of worms, but it's not likely to happen as long as alcohol is a money maker for the railroad.
 #673751  by Harlem Line to Southeast

RearOfSignal wrote:No it's not nothing new, the station is new but not the policies. In NYC you cannot have an open container of alcohol in public, stations are considered public places, The trains and areas inside the gates at GCT are not public places as regards this law. So nothing is new, the statement made on the page is simply a reminder.
By "this" I meant not the policy, but the concept of having a station serving a baseball stadium. Sorry if that wasn't clear. As for the policy, I think I've made my opinion clear that fans + alcohol + trains = chaos + big mess. Not to mention the fact that the lack of an outright alcohol ban on game trains is not very accommodating towards fans with kids. I hope MN has sufficient personnel to clean a game train that arrives back at Southeast after midnight before it goes out for the morning rush.
 #673780  by RearOfSignal

Harlem Line to Southeast wrote:Not to mention the fact that the lack of an outright alcohol ban on game trains is not very accommodating towards fans with kids.
Why? It's the same people on the train that you were sitting next to at the game. They are allowed to drink at the game, so if you were that concerned about being around people that consume alcohol you wouldn't go to the game anyway.

Besides many people come back from Rangers, Knicks, Mets and Yankee and soon to be Jets & Giants games on MNR, so you might have to deal with a few overly enthusiastic fans even if you are not coming from a game yourself. This is public transportation not Disney World.
 #673887  by R36 Combine Coach

Mayor Bloomberg officially dedicated the Yankees-E. 153 St station today (5/21).
“For decades, residents of the South Bronx have sought rail service to increase their transportation options and limit the number of people who drive to Yankees games,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “Today, it has finally arrived. The new Yankees – E. 153rd Street MTA Metro-North Railroad station is the first railroad station to open anywhere in the Bronx in decades. Not only will it provide access to the new stadium, the fantastic new Gateway Center at the Bronx Terminal Market retail complex and the new waterfront parks, it will reduce traffic on neighborhood streets and help bring new jobs and economic investment to the area, which is something all Bronx residents can cheer about.”
 #674036  by Jeff Smith

From the New York TImes

Not sure if this duplicates the previous post, but it is a different source. Wish I could be there.

Metro-North Station Opens at Yankee Stadium
By Fernanda Santos
The officials who gathered on Thursday to unveil a new Metro-North Railroad station in the South Bronx repeatedly extolled two of the project’s most significant accomplishments: It was finished on time (unlike the parks that are meant to replace the ones displaced by the new Yankee Stadium) and on budget (unlike the parks and the stadium itself). The station connects the Yankees’ new ballpark to Grand Central Terminal in 15 minutes and links the area to places as far north as New Haven, Conn., and Poughkeepsie and Southeast, N.Y. It also has a 450-foot pedestrian bridge that leads from the stadium to the parks that are being built on the Harlem River waterfront.