Railroad Forums 

• Old Pattenburg Tunnel

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#617466  by Jersey_Mike

Can someone provide me with a Google maps type link to the location of both abandoned portals of the old LVRR Pattenburg tunnel? I saw a photo of one of them, but no location info was given. I'd live to visit it.
 #617536  by Ken W2KB

Jersey_Mike wrote:Can someone provide me with a Google maps type link to the location of both abandoned portals of the old LVRR Pattenburg tunnel? I saw a photo of one of them, but no location info was given. I'd live to visit it.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 54502&z=15

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 3&t=h&z=18

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 3&t=h&z=18

But be advised that both ends of the tunnels are accessible only via walking a considerable distance on private property.
 #617633  by njt5140

I really wouldn't suggest hiking in being the area is private property, I believe the Hunterdon Co gun club owns the east side, and I took a walk over to the old tunnel one evening I was up there for a bit and it seemed to have about three feet of water into it and leading up to it.
 #617694  by Kaback9

njt5140 wrote:I really wouldn't suggest hiking in being the area is private property, I believe the Hunterdon Co gun club owns the east side, and I took a walk over to the old tunnel one evening I was up there for a bit and it seemed to have about three feet of water into it and leading up to it.

I think the gun club is a good reason not to head back there unless your wearing bright orange clothing!
 #617759  by Jersey_Mike

Oh, its right next to the regular Pattenburg Tunnel. Ok' I've been to both end of that no problem. Cool, now I have a reason to go back.

Hmmm, wonder why Conrail/NS didn't re-bore the old tube instead of just single tracking the new one. They could have had two doublestack ready lines instead of a single track bottleneck.
 #617764  by Kaback9

Jersey_Mike wrote:Oh, its right next to the regular Pattenburg Tunnel. Ok' I've been to both end of that no problem. Cool, now I have a reason to go back.

Hmmm, wonder why Conrail/NS didn't re-bore the old tube instead of just single tracking the new one. They could have had two doublestack ready lines instead of a single track bottleneck.
Thats a good question, but here is another one could they bring it back if wanted to?
 #617976  by Off Pending

Jersey_Mike wrote:Oh, its right next to the regular Pattenburg Tunnel. Ok' I've been to both end of that no problem. Cool, now I have a reason to go back.

Hmmmm ... let's see ... the railroad is single track for miles on either side of the tunnel, and the reconfiguration gave NS TWO passing sidings in the vicinity, instead of one. So, how is that a "single track bottleneck?' If you were talking about the Flat Rock or Phoenixville Tunnels, you might have a valid reason to want to double track (since they are both single track tunnels with double track lines converging on either end), but Pattenburg doesn't justify the expense of messing with a tunnel that hasn't been used since the late 1920's. The costs simply outweigh the benefits.

And as others have said, both tunnels are on private property and NS is actively patrolling the areas surrounding the tunnel. I work the line in question several times per week, and the NS police are frequently seen in the vicinity. You WILL get called in if you are seen lurking around the tunnel. You can thank all the idiots who have gotten run over in or near P'burg, and the ATV'ers, for that (even the local PD's now patrol the access roads on a regular basis).

Don't say you weren't warned.
 #618137  by photorailfan

I was there about four years ago and the only thing i saw patroling the place was a large black snake that was slithering towards me. I ran a short distance and stopped. It was still following me. I found a path from where i parked and then a clearing. I saw the quarry down below but didnt' venture further. After seeing that snake i lost interest. I doubt it was poisoness. From what i recearched, i think it was a racer snake.
 #618172  by Off Pending

photorailfan wrote:I was there about four years ago and the only thing i saw patroling the place was a large black snake that was slithering towards me. I ran a short distance and stopped.
That may have been the case 4 years ago, but things have definitely changed. First, the old quarry property has been purchased and the new owners have installed a good deal of security lighting in the vicinity of the old buildings that remain near CP 64 (most of the buildings have been torn down). The land owners know some thick-headed railfans aren't going to listen when told repeatedly to stay away from the tunnel. As a result, they are extremely active in keeping trespassers off their land and will press charges if they catch you there. Second, due to a high number of trespasser incidents west of Bloomsbury, the local and NS police have stepped up patrols in the areas of CP 62 to CP 67 ... including the tunnel itself. We would rarely see any PD activity in the area, but now it is common to see NS Special Agents along the access roads, as well as local police.

4 years is a long time. As a comparison, 4 years ago NS also didn't have the remote surveillance cams in the locations they now have them either, but it doesn't change the fact that they are watching and the laws are enforced vigorously.
 #618286  by photorailfan

Remote cameras? I would have never thought of that. I guess 4 years does make a difference. Thanks for the info. The reason why i went there was out of curiosity because of what i read in a book. The HOT SPOTS book. You might know what i'm talking about. I think it's time to update it. Scratch it off the list.
 #618345  by Off Pending

photorailfan wrote:Remote cameras? I would have never thought of that. I guess 4 years does make a difference. Thanks for the info. The reason why i went there was out of curiosity because of what i read in a book. The HOT SPOTS book. You might know what i'm talking about. I think it's time to update it. Scratch it off the list.
Yes ... remote cameras. I'm not at liberty to discuss where they may be, or any other details, but over the past couple years the Department of Homeland Security has worked with the railroads to step up monitoring of certain shipments and/or locations ... including the use of remote cameras.

That's how some guy who worked for Amtrak soon found himself confronted by NS Special agents near Croxton earlier this summer. He was taking photos outside the yard on a step ladder so he could shoot 21M at CP Croxton without looking through the fence. The problem was, he was wearing a hard hat and dressed like he was trying to fit in too much (dressed more like a rail employee than a railfan), and it caught the attention of NS's special agents. Soon he was having to answer questions about who he was and what he was doing. He was not issued a summons, but he was stopped and questioned because he was in view of the cameras, and his attire was unusual for a railfan (especially the hard hat).

Had he stuck to more public locations, and not looked like he was trying to pass himself off as an employee, he would have never been stopped.

Many of those books were written in the days when CR (and even NS right after the split) didn't pay much attention to railfans. Now they do.
 #618393  by CarterB

Appears to me that the West (North) old portal would be quite visible from Tunnel Rd. without tresspassing when the leaves are off the trees.
 #618526  by mrtransportation

Now I wonder why I have not gone to Pattenburg Tunnel in a while. The last time I was down there taking pictures was last year or the fall of 2006. That use to be one of my favorite spots to watch and take photos of trains coming out of the tunnel. That was one best kept secerts to take photos of trains on the Lehigh Valley. Just a matter of time for things to change around here. But there are other spots along the Lehigh Valley that are even better to take pictures or watch trains in the area. And all the areas I am talking about are in public areas too.
And it does not help to bring all this attention to this part of the line with recent problems in Hillsbrough, Phillipsburg, etc... With people being killed, suicide, getting drunk and walking on the train tracks and being hit, etc. I kinda figured they would stepup there patrols more on this part of the line from Hillsbrough to Phillipsburg or use remote cameras to watch and record the area and then send NS police to scene.
I am very happy I was able to get my photos of the Pattenburg Tunnel when I did. :-D
 #618605  by photorailfan

I agree with you when it comes to taking pictures in certain places when you have the opportunity to do so. Now you can look back and realise your images are that much more valuable. :-D