Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#595038  by Erie-Lackawanna

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The renaming to "Southeast" was 2003. I believe it was to avoid confusion with Brewster.
It was because it is located in the Town of Southeast, and the Town asked that the station be named for the town.

Jim
 #595302  by oknazevad

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Partly so, but if it was in Southeast why would "Brewster North" make sense?
Because it is in Brewster. And Southeast. Brewster's in Southeast.

Brewster is a village located in the Town of Southeast. Both stations are within the village borders, and therefore in Brewster. Naming one after the village and the other after the town is a simple and effective way to disambiguate between the two.
 #595319  by Otto Vondrak

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The renaming to "Southeast" was 2003. I believe it was to avoid confusion with Brewster.
No.

Brewster, the "Town of Southeast" requested the name change. All it has done is increase confusion because no one knows that "Southeast" is a station name and not a direction of travel. But for some reason the railroad went along with it. I guess "Brewster North" was offensive to those who lived in the south end of Brewster or something.

Coming soon...

"Katonah" will become "Bedford" (no one will confuse it with Bedford Hills, right?)

"Golden's Bridge" will become "Lewisboro"

"Purdy's" will become "North Castle"

"Chappaqua" will become "New Castle" (oh boy, won't confuse those two, right?)

-otto-who-used-to-like-the-Harlem-Line-just-the-way-it-was
 #595626  by DutchRailnut

The name change was mainly done , because commuters are not to bright.
They see Brewster and get off the train cause they only listend to half the anouncement and therefore missed their connection at Brewster North.
Since MNCR can not make commuters smarter, it was agreed to get rid of confusing name.
Still you should see how many people end up in Dover Plains who were looking for a train to Dover Nj.
 #595675  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote: Since MNCR can not make commuters smarter, it was agreed to get rid of confusing name.
...and replace it with another confusing name!
Still you should see how many people end up in Dover Plains who were looking for a train to Dover Nj.
Like Harrison, NJ and Harrison, NY? They're both on the Northeast Corridor... one is served by PATH, the other by Metro-North. Oh noes! Better change name so moar hoomanz don't get confuzed. ;-)
 #598197  by pnaw10

R36 Combine Coach wrote:East Norwalk & South Norwalk? S. Norwalk could just be renamed "Norwalk" as it is the main Norwalk station in downtown while East Norwalk, really is in East Norwalk.
In a schedule I have from 1972, that is how they were - Norwalk and East Norwalk. Also, Mount Vernon East was just Mount Vernon back then. (Mount Vernon West was always Mount Vernon West.) Probably for the same reason Dutch mentioned for renaming Southeast... Norwalk is a transfer point for the Danbury Branch. It's hard to imagine someone being so IQ-deficient that they'd get off at East Norwalk, and wonder why their transfer never showed up. But there must have been enough to warrant renaming the station! (After all, changing the name on station signs, timetables, ticketing systems, and so on, isn't something you can just do on a whim.)
 #598223  by RearOfSignal

"Does this train go to Northeast?"
-yes

"Does this train go to Southwest?"
-yes

"Does this train go to Brewster North?"
-yes

"Does this train go to Southeast?"
-Where? Oh yeah we go there too!

So much for eliminating the confusion!
 #598352  by mkm4

RearOfSignal wrote:"Does this train go to Northeast?"
-yes
It doesn't go that far. The town of North East is, oddly enough, in the northeast corner of Dutchess County.
 #598836  by TomNelligan

Somewhere back in the 1980s when I used to ride out of Brewster station a few times a year, I became aware that it was located in the Town of South East. However it always struck me that someone must have been really deficient in the imagination department when naming that municipality... were all the real town names already taken by other places in New York? At least it's not as banal as the townships in northern Maine that only have numbers, no names!
 #598924  by DutchRailnut

maybe people in 1788 did not care or had more important things to talk about than town names.