Railroad Forums 

• KCS Topeka Trackage Rights

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#579422  by Tadman

Last weekend I noticed two KCS SouBelle units on the UP in Lawrence, KS, between Topeka and KC. I notice KCS has trackage rights to Topeka - is this on the UP or BNSF? BNSF has a parallel route, and I often see run-thru and borrowed power on UP. Just curious if I saw the real deal or if it was borrowed power.
 #590109  by GulfRail

KCS operates on the Union Pacific line. It wasn't the first railroad to operate this route on trackage rights, Rock Island operated the Topeka-Kansas City route for years as part of the golden state route. With the liquidation of the Rock Island, and the purchase of the Golden State and OKT by SP and Katy, respectively, Katy and SP had trackage rights on this route. When Katy was purchased by UP, all the trackage rights that the MKT had over UP were assigned to KCS. This also includes the former Kansas City-Omaha of the Missouri Pacific. With the 1996 SP-UP merger, KCS is now the only railroad to operate on that portion of the golden state route on trackage rights.