Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#592450  by HalMallon

When was Southeast (Brewster North) opened?

Was it an older station that was upgraded?

Or was it deemed a good spot to put a station with more parking?

Any plans to increase the permit parking? (It's currently a 2 year wait for a permit).
 #592470  by DutchRailnut

Brewster North was opened in 1983, The parking lot is to full, but plans are to create a new parking lot, almost twice as big, at other side of tracks after a overpass is built.
The old parking lot may become part of bigger rail yard as it is busting at the seams.
 #592483  by HalMallon

If a new parking lot is built on the other side, any plan to create direct access to/from I-84? Or would that make too much sense?
 #592486  by DutchRailnut

No the acces will be same, but road will continou past parking, towards Brewster Village.
 #592641  by mkm4

HalMallon wrote:If a new parking lot is built on the other side, any plan to create direct access to/from I-84? Or would that make too much sense?
A new exit off of I-84 was in the plans for the new lot at one point.
I gotta search to see if I still have the documentation for the project.
 #592656  by Maybrook fan

Not everyone will agree with me but.........
You wouldn't believe the red tape, studies and other things involved in putting an exit on a Federal interstate highway. Also the east bound side of 84 would be a fairly simple project, west bound will need bridges or underpasses to connect. Although it would be a connivance, for the money and BS involved. I think there'd be more "bang for the buck" if it is spent improving the existing access.
 #592885  by AEGUY63

It would make sense too just continue the road straight when you come to the "T" in the road at the Southeast lot. At the opposite side of the tracks there are 2 mysterious crossing gates and what appears to be a road. The only thing blocking it now is the fence and a parking machine.
 #592892  by HalMallon

I am sure an entrance on/off of I-84 would be a headache, paperwork-wise. If I am correct, any project that uses federal dollars (as an entrance on/off an interstate would) requires an environmental impact study, etc...

Another station that would benefit from a better entrance/exit is Katonah. Who wouldn't want to go directly into the parking lot from I-684, instead of winding thru the side streets of Katonah?

Same goes for Golden's Bridge and Purdy's. Both would benefit from better access to/from I-684.

It makes one wonder, why doesn't the powers that be think of these things?
 #592989  by Otto Vondrak

HalMallon wrote:Another station that would benefit from a better entrance/exit is Katonah. Who wouldn't want to go directly into the parking lot from I-684, instead of winding thru the side streets of Katonah?
The bridge that allowed you to do that was condemned by the City of New York in the early 1990s. The bridge is city property and spans the reservoir. They have no vested interest in opening it back up.
Same goes for Golden's Bridge and Purdy's. Both would benefit from better access to/from I-684. It makes one wonder, why doesn't the powers that be think of these things?
I-684 was designed as a "commuter collector" highway, favoring southward travel in the morning and northward travel in the evening- hence the "uneven" interchanges. Look for detailed information about the development of I-684 here:

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-684_NY/

-otto-
 #593691  by mnsteve25

i remember seeing a rr crossing gate just north of the station which is now fenced in does anyone know where that road went and what was the purpose.
 #593699  by DutchRailnut

The railroad crossing went to a future industrial park, the location of MNCR's new parking lot, there is to be a viaduct built at location of this crossing.
 #594270  by pnaw10

Just a quick side note... in my recent swing through the stations of the Upper Harlem (from Southeast to Wassaic) I didn't really think access from I-84 to Southeast was a big deal. From I-84 eastbound, it was straight off the ramp, across the street, past a shopping plaza, over a hill, and down to the station. Aside from that shopping plaza (which is right at the I-84 ramp intersection), there were no other intersections, houses, business, etc. getting in the way.

It seems like it was already pretty convenient to me, and I'm not sure how it could be better, aside from the fact that lot definitely looks like it would be packed without a doubt on a weekday. I was surprised the street leading down to the station didn't have parallel parking on both sides, like the street approaching Beacon station does.

Granted, I'm not familiar with the area other than the major roads, so I can't speak for the ease-of-access (or lack thereof) to the proposed future lot on the other side of the tracks. But if there's a bridge over the tracks from the existing road, it shouldn't be a problem.

Part of me also thinks, if they made westbound access to Southeast "too convenient," it might detract people from using Danbury. The two stations aren't really really far apart, and Southeast has much more frequent service than Danbury -- especially during off-peak hours.
 #594337  by Jeff Smith

I think it's already very convenient for commuters up and down the Danbury line to drive over to the Harlem line. Some of my recent research on the Beacon line has articles about the hunt for parking up and down the Harlem, and communities resisting expansion of roads and lots.

I remember back in 91 when I lived in Patterson, sometimes I'd drive down to (then) Brewster North and park. If I remember, they were parking along the road at that time. I think they've since expanded the lot and prohibited that (if it wasn't prohibited at that time).

It kind of points out the folly of improving one line and ignoring another. If they would quite studying and upgrade the Danbury Line (including travel times , frequency, and parking), they'd eliminate a lot of folks from CT migrating over to the Harlem.

There's also the matter of destination. If you're in Danbury or along that line, and working in White Plains, the Danbury line doesn't do you much good. Unless you want to finish the Westchester Northern :wink: stillborn in the 1920's, you've got to revisit the Beacon line.
 #594737  by HalMallon

...Part of me also thinks, if they made westbound access to Southeast "too convenient," it might detract people from using Danbury...

It is my understanding that Conneticut already runs a shuttle bus to the Brewster station. There is a park and ride lot on the westbound/northside of I-84. I assume that is one of it's pick-up/drop-off locations.

If one is going to GCT, Danbury takes too long and costs too much...