Railroad Forums 

• Yard 21 - Somerville

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#574650  by Ed Canney

On my way home today from Boston on the MBTA Orange line, I noticed several workers using various pieces of equipment removing trees, rails, and ties from Yard 21.
 #574885  by NRGeep

Ed Canney wrote:On my way home today from Boston on the MBTA Orange line, I noticed several workers using various pieces of equipment removing trees, rails, and ties from Yard 21.
More condos! :(
Last edited by NRGeep on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #574903  by NYC27

MBTA owns Yard 21 not Pan Am. Transit Realty is trying to redevelop the property.
 #574943  by Ron Newman

Isn't this where IKEA is about to be built? I don't think the T owns it anymore.
 #574960  by AEM7AC920

That is indeed the location where the new Ikea and train station will go.
 #575249  by banshee

Somerville Redevelopment Authority now owns Yard 21..purchased from the T over the past five years.
 #575325  by dieciduej

AEM7AC920 wrote:That is indeed the location where the new Ikea and train station will go.
As a nice touch I wonder if Ikea will design the station and have it assembled just like a piece of Ikea furniture. :P

Not sure if that would bring it in on-time and under budget, but rain would be a problem.

JoeD
 #575445  by dieciduej

A good bit of the rail and ties have been pulled up at Sullivan Sq end to about middle of Yard 21.

JoeD
 #575566  by WonderlandMan

I didnt even think that station was approved or even on the horizon. Link to more details?
 #575864  by jake1966

The block that contained Good Times is slated to be torn down soon. It will be interesting to see when (and if) IKEA is built if they would use rail for deliveries.
 #575879  by Ron Newman

I doubt it. I think a parking garage access road and a bike path will separate Ikea from the railroad tracks.
 #575882  by sery2831

jake1966 wrote:The block that contained Good Times is slated to be torn down soon. It will be interesting to see when (and if) IKEA is built if they would use rail for deliveries.
Ikea shipments for the east come into the Port of Savannah(GA) via container ships and are brought to a large distribution warehouse near there. From there the items are trucked the individual stores.