Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Tuckahoe - Richland Service

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#542579  by NJ Vike

JJMDiMunno wrote:
south jersey trains wrote:8 June Sunday,the train will be running from Richland to Tuckahoe, plus lots of old fire trucks,also the Patcong model train building will be open for display.
Hi guys,
To avoid confusion from folks visiting the region, I've just received word from CMSL sources that they will not be running on the 8th. It's unknown when service will begin. The remainder of the events taking place at Richland for this event will continue as planned.

Mike DiMunno
SJRA / SJRail.com
Mike,

Thanks for the udpate. I was just ready to take a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Ken
 #543662  by prr60

And just to clarify given the title of this topic, the service being discussed is the Richland - Tuckahoe train. There is no information about service to Cape May.
 #543672  by JJMDiMunno

prr60 wrote:And just to clarify given the title of this topic, the service being discussed is the Richland - Tuckahoe train. There is no information about service to Cape May.
60 makes a good point...and I apologize for not doing this earlier. I've split this topic from the original status of CMSL to Cape May thread into it's own "CMSL Tuckahoe - Richland Service" thread so as to avoid confusion.

Mike DiMunno
 #543759  by ironghost

When have you ever seen the CMSL state when when the start up date was this year? If the reports of service start up are not posted on their web site and are not coming from a press interview from the president himself then they aren't starting period! Taking parts from other cars? If you didn't read it here and elsewhere the cars in Rio Grande have been stripped of parts from vandals. As far as updating the web site, when there is something new to tell you they will! What do you want them to do? Project a date like others have done only to miss it .

Face it, the CMSL is not rich, they don't have an unlimited supply of money. It takes money to fuel locos and cars. Diesel fuel has been higher than gasoline by at least $.70 per gallon since Feb. Diesel it self is $1.42 higher then when the CMSL last ran and $2.00 higher than this time last year. In otherwords almost doubled in price! In CMSL's normal consist they have 5 motors running for air conditioning, lights and propulsion. That's a lot of fuel getting burned up in a 10+ hr day. Generators are started in early morning to get the cars cooled down. (Think of how hot your house would be if it was closed up tight all week.) Otherwise passengers would be complaining about the heat. If the railroad is going to feel this kind of pinch what do you think the average tourist is feeling? This time of year is slow for the railroad. So between inspection fees and fuel do you think it makes good business sense to run all this for a handful of paying passengers? How many of you would still continue to ride if the CMSL doubled the price of a ticket?

Do the math people. Right now for just 100gal of fuel (which is lower than what that consist would use) they would need $460.00 income just for fuel. At last years fares that works out to 46 adult paying passengers just to pay that fuel bill. That doesn't include the inspection fee for the track, car and loco inspections, contractors paid for a/c work, contractors paid for heavy maintenance, electric bill, any rent, payroll for any non-volunteers, any broken windows they have had to replace ,etc......

CMSL's vintage equipment has been run and maintained in good quality for the last 13 years all on the price of a ticket. No subsidies have gone into keeping this equipment running.

How many years have other lines been out of service due to washouts, bridge failures, poor track etc.???

Instead of complaining about no service at this time how about volunteering time, money, lobbying power etc. to get it back up and running again. When it is up and running buy a ticket to ride instead of just taking pics of it.

==Edited by moderator 6/10/08 11:49AM Eastern, only to fix text formatting issues related to new phpbb software. No text was added or removed from this post.==
 #543943  by prsl7668

If the railroad is as poor as you are saying maybe it's time to get out and let someone who can afford to run it do the job.
 #543946  by ironghost

I did not say they were POOR I said they wern't RICH. NO BUSINESS OWNER in his right mind is going to run intentionally run their business in the red. That's why the nation's rail system is in the shape it's in now. The nation as a whole deferred maint., scaled back on track etc... . Now they have to rebuild from the ground up to keep up with demand. CMSL in 13 years has not really changed their fares yet their costs have nearly doubled!

Tell me just who do you think should step in down there if CMSL should step aside. Because unless you tell me Strasburg who also relies on voluntereers for some of their work I really don't believe anyone else can do a better job down there. Tell me what YOU think the CMSL should be doing to increase their tourist business.
 #544478  by George W. Rosenzweig

prsl7668 wrote:If the railroad is as poor as you are saying maybe it's time to get out and let someone who can afford to run it do the job.
I asked such a question on another topic, and have yet to receive an answer. I posited the following:

"Furthermore, if CMSL can't do an adequate job in the opinion of their detractors, I welcome comments from all on suggesting entities who could do better, and why...regardless of whether said entities would actually WANT such an operation."

Interestingly, there are lots of complaints about CMSL (from only about three people on here), but I find it curious that nobody seems to have an answer to the above question...which was asked over one month ago!!
 #548441  by south jersey trains

Well said Ironghost..Bravo...now some ideas..Maybe a 5 cent increase on tolls on the Parkway from Atlantic City south to Cape May to be used for ONLY for the CMSL.....When? the Beasleys Pt. bridge opens a 5 cent toll increase also.Maybe some FEMA money because it is a prime exit out of the shore for a cat. 4 or 5 hurricane.A one dollar additional fee on beach tags for the 3 months of summer.yes we are over taxed but really .its a good cause and would save more than that on gas, , metered parking and crowded roads,time traveled.Maybe a donation booth at a site on the Atlantic City,Ocean City,Wildwood boardwalks explaining why and he merits of the railroad.Plenty of people would donate.Just a few thoughts.dont pick them apart,add some thoughts of your own.
 #548782  by Jtgshu

Okay, what about all the other short lines in the state? Do they get 5 cent tolls added to the roads near them? What if there are no tolls on the roads near by?

The SRNJ im sure could use a little extra cash, what about the WandW or the BRW? Can't forget about the MandE and NYSW either.

The Catskill Mountain railroad in NY state is I believe all volunteers - they are restoring the equipment and clearing up and opening up more long abandoned track each weekend.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 28&t=46904

The BelDel and NYSWTHS also is doing a lot of volunteer and hand on restoration and running of trains

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 27&t=48098

These groups are doing much with very little cash and a lot of hard work by volunteers. How about that?

Why doesn't someone ask the CMSL about volunteering themselves or funds for materials to get something done? Id be quite curious as to the response that they would get, if you could get a hold of anyone.......

Cribbing and some fill could probably be built over the washout to get the cars out of Rio Grande, that would go miles for improving community relations. Not good enough to put the line back in service, but enough to get the cars out. What would have been better would be to get the cars out there BEFORE the wash out, like they said they were going to a few years ago, but thats a seperate story.

Updating the website for potential customers (both passenger and freight) would also be helpful. It would cost just a few minutes of time to say something to the effect of "we haven't fallen off the edge of the earth and we are still here"
When have you ever seen the CMSL state when when the start up date was this year? If the reports of service start up are not posted on their web site and are not coming from a press interview from the president himself then they aren't starting period! Taking parts from other cars? If you didn't read it here and elsewhere the cars in Rio Grande have been stripped of parts from vandals. As far as updating the web site, when there is something new to tell you they will! What do you want them to do? Project a date like others have done only to miss it .
Im sorry ironghost, but that is one of the most rediculous statements I have ever read. Thats the PROBLEM!!! We HAVEN'T seen the CMSL state when they are going to start up this year. Its now almost July, and as of about 10 minutes ago, the website still looks like the same as a few weeks ago. There have been various newspaper articles about events and referencing the CMSL and "rumors" (I guess that would be a good word) about when service would start. Instead of fanning the flames why CAN'T the CMSL state "sorry, we are looking for a later summer start" or at least SOMETHING. When/if they ever do start running again, why would any one even go? im SURE that there have been families that have been burnt because of the lack of info about the CMSL operations. I mean, even RR.net members have stated "thanks for the info, i was planning on heading down there this weekend" or something to that effect after reading threads on this site. Folks "not in the know" im SURE have made the trek only to be very disappointed. Its called being proactive, and does wonders for customer relations.

And i find it VERY hard to believe that EVERY single useable part of every single piece of equipment stored in Rio Grande has been stripped by vandels. If that was the case, the cars would have been scrapped long ago. the last time I was down in Rio Grande adn saw the cars and relatively recent pics of them, while they looked sad, they loooked far from being shells. They are still relatively complete.

I know my opinion is the discenting opinion here, but I don't care. I just call it like I see it, with a bit of a "real world" slant to it. We are all railfans and would love to see trains running on every set of rails that is still 4 feet 8 and 1/2 inches apart, but sometimes you gotta step back and take a look at the bigger picture. And the bigger picture with the CMSL is pretty sad.

There is a difference between playing with trains in 1:1 scale and railroading. And im sorry, what the CMSL is/is not doing is not railroading.
 #548802  by rrbluesman

I have to agree with Jtgshu, at least to a point. I have been a avid supporter of the CMSL for a long time, but there are realities that need to be faced about the railroad. What has it been, the last three years there were promises of start dates that never were fulfilled and then delay after delay and then little or nothing offered. The website presents a beautiful picture of thoughts and operations that once were, but it does not present the reality of what is and that is very misleading. I am at a point now where I am shrugging their operations off and don't expect anything from the CMSL anymore, I think there are other who probably feel the same way about them. Would I like to see them operate, sure, but only if they do something to tell the world they are there, serious, and have a plan for the future.
 #548875  by blockline4180

Same with me, I have to agree with JTGSHU....I was once a big fan of CMSLRR, and even rode them several times when they ran out of Cape May, but by not updating the website and keeping people guessing with missleading words on their website like "Coming Soon" and coming out saying that service will begin the end of May, Begginging of June and then to have it pass or not happen, is very troubling and would probably do damage to its passenger base!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still routing for CMSLRR, but they should at least change their website to reflect that nothing is happening or is probably going to happen this year..!!!