Railroad Forums 

• PRSL through Glassboro

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#430057  by radioboy

I'm looking for any information on the abandoned train station in Glassboro at the southern tip of Rowan University and the PRSL branch (Williamstown?) that served it. I've looked at Jimzim's thread on the matter but I'm looking for other info - pictures, timetables, etc for the station or the line in general. I'm interested in the passenger service, not the freight line.

#522147  by mitch kennedy

Hi-the last passenger trains came thru in March 1971. There's a thread way down below that refers to how the RDC's used deadheaded back and forth to serve the Glassboro-Camden and Millville-Camden run (the second Millville turn got cut back to Glassboro in the late 60's). When psgr service ended, the Millville Branch from Woodbury south became the Millville Secondary. Into the mid 50's the line was double tracked as far as Glassboro also. Bridgeton psgr service ended in 51 or 52. And til 1949, the line had third-rail pickup for electric MU cars thru to Millville. (the steel cars were like 3rd-rail MP54's, after a fashion)Til the late 70's, a large brick building by the Wilmer Street crossing housed the PRSL's MW truck and track equipt repair shops; it was originally a substation for the third rail power. By the time I was going to school ther in the winter of 75-76, the former tower was used as a freight office for the travelling agent and the passenger station was boarded up and derelict. One of the contributors , Steam man, was a block operator at the tower at the end of passenger service. .

#522425  by rrbluesman

Check out the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines Historical Society page, I think there are pics there:
www.PRSLHS.com

#522767  by Steam man

mitch kennedy wrote:One of the contributors , Steam man, was a block operator at the tower at the end of passenger service. .
Yes I was Mitch. To be exact, I was on second trick at Brown on the day of the last line to Millville. Also, I was the last block operator to work at Glassboro Block & Interlocking Station. I was on the second trick and took the last train order issued through Glassboro and then at 10.00 pm closed and locked the door for the last time. I made an extra copy of the train order by moving the tin backer to the next layer of flimsies down and will try to find it in my archives to share with you gize.
 #522913  by JimBoylan

radioboy wrote:I'm looking for any information on the abandoned train station in Glassboro at the southern tip of Rowan University and the PRSL branch (Williamstown?) that served it.
This line, from Atsion on the Jersey Central or Atco on the PRR's Camden & Atlantic, via Williamstown Jct. on the Reading's Atlantic City RR. to a dead end in Mulica Hill the other side of Glassboro on the PRR's West Jersey & Seashore, was tied up with the Reading, so it's covered in the Atlantic City RR Book.

#522973  by rrbluesman

radioboy, I have some old diagrams of Glassboro Junction and some pics, PM me if you are interested.

Ed

#523285  by JJMDiMunno

Radioboy,
Email me directly using the email link below...I may have some stuff that'll be of interest to you.

Mike DiMunno