Railroad Forums 

• MBB Coaches

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#495465  by railfan101

Does anyone know why the T decided to purchase the fleet of MBB cars when they were also getting all new Bombardier cars. They were both introduced into service at roughly the same time frame(87-90). I would have thought the T would have wanted to keep the fleet as uniform as possible just as they tried to do with their locomotives.

Also are there any US transit authorities that are operating MBB coaches?
Thanks in advance

#495481  by CRail

Potty training became very popular in the mid to late 80's. People were so excited about the use of toilets they wanted them on trains too.

#495534  by railfan101

This was my thought too originally. I then remembered that the original Pullman/Bomb cab cars (1300's) all had bathrooms as did some of RDC's. I have also seen newer Bomb coaches with bathrooms running on Metro North. If getting restroom equiped Bomb coaches was an option I currious as to why they went with MBB.

#495585  by Gerry6309

The bidding process is probably a factor here. The MBTA is required to solicit bids and give the order t the lowest bidder meeting the specs. If noone meets the specs, then negotiations ensue or the order is rebid. If I recall correctly MBB was the low bidder on one group of cars (with restrooms) and Bonbadier was low bidder on the following order (without such facilities). MBB used its own design, while Bombadier used the same design as the earlier Pullman order.

#495586  by theinsider

They were probably the lowest bidder.

#495590  by jbvb

The MBB cars were built with 2-2 walk-over seating, which made them much more comfortable on longer runs (I rode an MVRS excursion to Portland circa 1982 which was all MBB cars). Some also had public phones at one end (enclosure still visible). This was a hangover from the Dukakis-era "lets serve the Cape etc." philosophy, before the MBTA hunkered down to haul cattle - er, commuters with one stinking toilet and no water for 500 people, 50 of whom are standing...

#495647  by Robert Paniagua

Maybe Budd should have gotten the contract for all those cars, 350-389, all 6/1600s and 500/1500s and that would make things simpler.

#495696  by StevieC48

Gerry6309 wrote: MBB used its own design, while Bombadier used the same design as the earlier Pullman order.
Don't forget Gerry Pullman was bought by Bombadier so they had the right to all Pullmans designs. :wink:

#495739  by astrosa

jbvb wrote:(I rode an MVRS excursion to Portland circa 1982 which was all MBB cars)
The MBB cars were built in 1987...did you mean 1992?

#495760  by railfan101

jbvb wrote:The MBB cars were built with 2-2 walk-over seating, which made them much more comfortable on longer runs (I rode an MVRS excursion to Portland circa 1982 which was all MBB cars). Some also had public phones at one end (enclosure still visible). This was a hangover from the Dukakis-era "lets serve the Cape etc." philosophy, before the MBTA hunkered down to haul cattle - er, commuters with one stinking toilet and no water for 500 people, 50 of whom are standing...
Corect me if I wrong but the original Pullman cars of the late 70's were configured almost the same as the German cars

#495809  by sery2831

I don't believe they had different seating, I am sure they had the 2x3 seating.

#495814  by Veristek

sery2831 wrote:I don't believe they had different seating, I am sure they had the 2x3 seating.
I remember riding a few MBB cars in the last few months, and their walking aisles seem much more roomier than the standard flat's are. I don't bump into chairs or step on people's bags or feet in the aisle in the MBB cars, whereas I end up doing that a lot in the other flat's and even the K cars.

#495884  by Gerry6309

Robert Paniagua wrote:Maybe Budd should have gotten the contract for all those cars, 350-389, all 6/1600s and 500/1500s and that would make things simpler.
Budd would have been the high bidder, because the use of stainless steel was optional. Tf it was specified, they would have had a better shot, since that was their specialty.

#496565  by jbvb

I may be wrong about the equipment of the excursion (the date was definitely pre-1986), but I am quite sure that most of the MBB cars I occupy most weekdays have 2-2 walkover seats, though most of the walkover mechanism are broken. There are a few MBB cars that have been rebuilt with fixed 2-2 seating. The rest of the fleet has 3-2 fixed seating, and I don't ever recall a Pullman or Bombardier car with walkover seats. Seems clear that the MBTA ordered a different type of car with some idea of using them in longer-distance service.

I can't recall seeing Pullman/Bombardier cab cars, or any toilets, but that doesn't seem right - I'll keep an eye peeled as I commute.

#496572  by sery2831

The MBBs were built in 1987, so you were not any of them prior to 1986! Are you confusing these cars with the Boise Budds? These cars had 2x2 walk over seats and large windows.