Railroad Forums 

• Batavia map (and new map webpage)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#493031  by scottychaos

Found a reference to the mainline being moved:
WNYRailfan wrote:The NYC tracks were relocated in late 1956 with the "new" depot opening in 1957.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21685

NYC built a new passenger depot that late??
that seems very..surprising!
wow..wonder if its still there?
im going to go look for it..hold on..

first, check Charles site:
http://ny.existingstations.com/

ah! there it is..
http://ny.existingstations.com/archive/392.jpg
I was thinking of something much more substantial! ;)
but for 1956, I guess that makes sense..
by then, they certainly knew passenger service wasnt going to last long.
a precursor to the "amshack" I suppose..

wow..looks like that New York Central lettering is still there!
I have to get out there and check that out!

Scot

#493051  by Brad Smith

It is. It's missing a few letters, but it's there. Very Art-Deco-ish semi-script lettering.

#493052  by Nathan M3

Before the mainline relocation at Batavia all four tracks plus the Peanut on it's own routing crossed all streets in the city and the Erie branch at grade. Not much wonder as to why the relocation.

The new station is on Lehigh Ave. NYC lettering is mostly there, platforms are still in place but canopies were taken down about 20 years ago.

#493091  by nessman

RussNelson wrote:I wonder if you should include the Buffalo, Corning and New York railroad. Was finished between Corning and Batavia,
Later became part of the Erie RR which went as far as Tonawanda Creek before heading south to Attica.
and graded westward of Batavia but it never saw rails. The grade is quite obvious:
Line was never finished due to bankruptcy. My guess is the Erie didn't need to finish it as they were able to get to Buffalo by way of Attica.

#493218  by dj_paige

Scot

This is great work as always. I love it.

How would you print both maps?

#493271  by scottychaos

dj_paige wrote:Scot

This is great work as always. I love it.

How would you print both maps?
thanks Paige,
ah! good point about printing! ;)

here are the direct links to the two individual maps:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... -final.jpg

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... -final.jpg

scot

#493482  by TB Diamond

FYI: NYC&HRRR 999 set the speed record on what is known as the Crittenden Straight. To this day if one stands above the now CSX MT on the county road overpass just south of the village of Crittenden and looks to the east and west, it can quickly be ascertained how this piece of track became so named.

Scot: Re: The 2008 Batavia map: did you omit the old Sylvania spur off the former LVRR MT in Batavia by design?

FYI: A short, disconnected portion of the connection off the LVRR MT to the NYC remains. This came off the passing siding just west of the depot, ran behind the depot and then off to the NYC East Peanut as shown in the 1900 map. One can still follow it through the weeds out almost as far as the Rt. 63 bridge.

FYI: The Lehigh Valley bridge over the East Peanut east of Batavia: This was demolished during the summer of 1978 during the construction of the ramp off the East Peanut to the former LVRR MT. The east abutment remains, but the west abutment was demolished.
Last edited by TB Diamond on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#493485  by RussNelson

I think I prefer the javascript "flip between these two dates" thing, as long as you also have links to the images.

Also, on the Geneva map, you don't have the trolley line. See how North St has little dots drawn in it? That's how the USGS marks a street-running electric railroad. Here's the route as I have it (but of course I may be wrong) (which is why I'm point this out) (and I want to be corrected) (if I'm wrong) (of course):
http://rutlandtrail.org/list.cgi?geneva ... y.ny.track

#493527  by Noel Weaver

I don't know if this is true today in 2008 but at the time of my retirement
in October, 1997, Conrail was still using the depot at Batavia as an office
for the Track Supervisor for this area. The station was at that time in
excellent condition.
There is also an old yard office west of the station location on the south
side of the tracks but that was not in use during my ten years running on
that line from 1987 to 1997. That building was both locked and boarded
up during the above years.
Noel Weaver

#493576  by Conrail4evr

Noel Weaver wrote:I don't know if this is true today in 2008 but at the time of my retirement
in October, 1997, Conrail was still using the depot at Batavia as an office
for the Track Supervisor for this area. The station was at that time in
excellent condition.
There is also an old yard office west of the station location on the south
side of the tracks but that was not in use during my ten years running on
that line from 1987 to 1997. That building was both locked and boarded
up during the above years.
Noel Weaver
All of which remains true today.

#493579  by dj_paige

Scot, thanks again for doing all this. There is absolutely no way I'm going to get any real work done today :)

Now, if I may be so bold, I have a request. I know at one time I asked you how you make these maps, but I knew almost nothing about Photoshop at that time. Now I have Photoshop Elements, I know what layers and layer masks are, and so some day if you have free time, I would enjoy learning the steps you follow to make such maps. Inquiring minds want to know!

#493580  by scottychaos

TB Diamond wrote:
Scot: Re: The 2008 Batavia map: did you omit the old Sylvania spur off the former LVRR MT in Batavia by design?
nope, not by design..I just didnt see it! ;)
its fixed.
FYI: A short, disconnected portion of the connection off the LVRR MT to the NYC remains. This came off the passing siding just west of the depot, ran behind the depot and then off to the NYC East Peanut as shown in the 1900 map. One can still follow it through the weeds out almost as far as the Rt. 63 bridge.
I cant find that on the "birds eye views"..its not there.
you mean the sharp curve in the Edwards/Wallace street area,
just east of Elmwood cemetary?

if it was there recently, its not there anymore..

Scot

#493682  by Mark_K

Brilliant work, Scott.

You and that guy from Potsdam should be hired by SPV for the next Northeast Atlas.