Railroad Forums 

• They're here... CSX ES44AH's

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#461033  by MC6853

Not sure if it's been reported or not but CSX ES44AHs 701, 702, and 703 came east today on Q390... They're dead-in-tow bound for Selkirk to be set up...

The order is supposed to go up to #824, so I guess I better get set for another GEVO invasion!! (As if the 302 we have weren't enough, LOL)...

>>MC
Last edited by MC6853 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#461038  by scottychaos

sorry MC,
but this news gets a big *yawn* from me..
new GE widecabs?! yay.. havent seen much of those around before!
:wink:

(yes..I know its a new model CSX hasnt had before..but still..*yawn*)

Scot

#461171  by scottychaos

The "H" is for "high"
These units have new "high tractive effort" software.
They are called AH to differentiate them from "regular" ES44AC units.

and I would assume the "A" is still for AC.

Scot

#461180  by CSX-Dan5377

Well I for one, and am probibly the only one who thinks this is neat and I cannot wait to see some crawling around.

Thanks MC6853,
Dan
:-D

#461228  by railwatcher

CSX-Dan5377 wrote:Well I for one, and am probibly the only one who thinks this is neat and I cannot wait to see some crawling around.

:-D
OOO's and AHs!

:P

Greg

#461239  by boblenon

I cant imagine they're all that difernt on the outside ... other than the road number, what easily identifable details are there to seperate them from a ES44DC?

.. Its gotta be like a spotting a GP38 vs GP38AC only in about a month you'll wish they'd all have dynamic fires and dissappear :) (along with the ES44DC)

#461278  by MC6853

boblenon wrote:I cant imagine they're all that difernt on the outside ... other than the road number, what easily identifable details are there to seperate them from a ES44DC?

.. Its gotta be like a spotting a GP38 vs GP38AC only in about a month you'll wish they'd all have dynamic fires and dissappear :) (along with the ES44DC)
The only external difference is steerable trucks... They don't have lightning bolts like other AC power on CSX...

>>MC

#461281  by Conrail4evr

Okay...to clarify a few things in this thread:

The H stands for heavy, meaning that the units are ballasted for additional tractive effort and (I believe) feature matching software. These particular units are labled ES44AC's, FYI, not ES44AH's as many have claimed. Also, these units are set up for DPU operations, something CSX is supposedly testing at the moment in part with several SD80AC's on the Boston Line (hence why there's a bunch of those units running back and forth across the Chicago Line in the past several weeks [including Conrail painted 4601]).

As for the order, per the LocoNotes list, it's for 100 this year, with 25 more next year (I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more beyond that as well, although I'm not about to bet my paycheck on it).

And, finally, for us New York railfans, shoot these when they roll through. They have radial trucks and DPU capabilities for a reason...meaning they're going South to the coal fields. No doubt, they'll probably make it up here on coal trains occasionally, but that's going to be their primary stomping grounds. I'd look for the older CW44AC's to start moving into the regular freight pool and out of coal service (not exciting, I know, but they'll help break up the ES44DC parade up here...at least until the next order of them starts showing up).

My advice: shoot the SD40-2's while you can! The leasers are all but gone, and the SD40-2's will most likely be the next thing on the chopping block (those Dash 8's aren't getting any younger either...I don't think it's going to be a whole lot longer until the older spartan cabbed Dash 8's start getting sidelined). Railfans along CSX in New York have really had it good since the Conrail split-up, and now the standardization is really starting to show it's face...hope you enjoyed the variety while you could!

#461307  by MC6853

I've had plenty of time to shoot SD40-2s... They'll probably live for another 30 years on regional/shortline railroads... I'm not overly worried there...

When do the AC6000CWs come back up here, LOL? Haven't seen one of them in a dog's age...

>>MC

#461308  by Conrail4evr

The AC6000CW's are around...I guess it's just pure luck that you're not seeing them. That's another model you ought to be shooting...they're going back to Erie next year for an overhaul with 16 cyl. 6000 HP GEVO prime movers (and I'm sure will be painted at the same time).

#461315  by scottychaos

Conrail4evr wrote:Okay...to clarify a few things in this thread:

The H stands for heavy, meaning that the units are ballasted for additional tractive effort and (I believe) feature matching software.
Nick, Just because you read something on the internet, doesnt automatically make it true! :wink:

There are two versions of what the "H" stands for floating around the internet. one versions says "H" stands for "Heavy".
the other version says "H" stands for "High".

I honestly dont know which is correct,
but IMO the "High" version has more credibility.

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/sho ... p?p=166143

yes, the ES44AH units ARE "heavy"! in that they have extra ballast and are heavier than other units..but thats not necessarily related to the "H" in the name.

Im sure which version is actually correct will come out soon enough..
I just checked GE's webpage, they have no reference to the ES44AH on their page yet.

For now, it remains unproven either way.

Scot

#461354  by Mike Walsh

Otto Vondrak wrote:What are "DPU operations?"

-otto-
obviously not a mountain-territory railfan, whatsoever.

DPU = Dynamic Propulsion Unit, or some other acronym.

Basically, a remotely operated PUSHER that is USUALLY kept with the train.

It's common on the Union Pacific's Jefferson City sub, through St. Louis. There's a 1% (or so) ruling grade for 2 miles through Kirkwood, MO (which is the peak of the grade, btw)... and you can always hear the DPU rumbling.. but by the time it passes you at the depot, it's not rumbling so hard anymore since the train is already over the hill.

So yeah, there you have it. a pusher unit. simple. :)