Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Canal Bridge fixed

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#425331  by prsl7668

If NJT just decides that this railroad just isn't worth fixing, could they just adandon the line? I think the lease is only yearly with CMSL.

#425348  by Charlie7

prsl7668 wrote:If NJT just decides that this railroad just isn't worth fixing, could they just adandon the line? I think the lease is only yearly with CMSL.
I could be wrong, but you seem to have a dislike for this operation. I only noticed because the constant negativity of your posts is very subtle.

#425387  by rrbluesman

PRSL7668 brings up an interesting point. Please don;t misunderstand me, I very much want to see the Cape May trains running, but it doens;t seem like NJDOT is interested in maintaining the line. If they are the outright owner and dont want to maintian it any more, why don;t they abandon it? Or, why not sell it? Then the maintenance would no longer be NJDOT responsibilty.

#427105  by JJMDiMunno

rrbluesman wrote:PRSL7668 brings up an interesting point. Please don;t misunderstand me, I very much want to see the Cape May trains running, but it doens;t seem like NJDOT is interested in maintaining the line. If they are the outright owner and dont want to maintian it any more, why don;t they abandon it? Or, why not sell it? Then the maintenance would no longer be NJDOT responsibilty.
Guys,
As per STB docket number 34112, the term of the CMSL's lease over the Cape May Branch is until July 31, 2029. It was a 30-year lease, signed in 1999.

The revised version of the lease grants CMSL sole and exclusive right to operate both excursion passenger and common carrier freight service over the entire length of the line as well as the Cape May Point Branch to MP 2.6.

Mike DiMunno

#427157  by lv414

JJMDiMunno wrote:
rrbluesman wrote:PRSL7668 brings up an interesting point. Please don;t misunderstand me, I very much want to see the Cape May trains running, but it doens;t seem like NJDOT is interested in maintaining the line. If they are the outright owner and dont want to maintian it any more, why don;t they abandon it? Or, why not sell it? Then the maintenance would no longer be NJDOT responsibilty.
Guys,
As per STB docket number 34112, the term of the CMSL's lease over the Cape May Branch is until July 31, 2029. It was a 30-year lease, signed in 1999.

The revised version of the lease grants CMSL sole and exclusive right to operate both excursion passenger and common carrier freight service over the entire length of the line as well as the Cape May Point Branch to MP 2.6.

Mike DiMunno
A lease can also be voided for various reasons. Lets say CMSL had to keep the track in a certain condition and on inspection by NJT it found these were not met that could be an out of the deal. There could also be many other points in a lease that if mot followed could end the deal.
Roger D.

#427174  by JJMDiMunno

This is absolutely true...however unfortunately, I don't know the details of the CMSL's lease with the state.

Mike DiMunno

#442526  by blockline4180

Okay, so does anyone think I'll see Tuckahoe/Richland service to Cape May City before I die???

I'm not bashing CMSLRR, I just think that if they ever got the tracks restored between Woodbine and CMCH then the railroad would gain more ridership as people would take the train from Richland down to the beaches....

#442558  by JJMDiMunno

I'd love to see this too...it's more work than a lot of people realize however, particularly the section in question now. This will be the most costly of sections to repair most likely, due especially to a number of small bridges over some marsh-like areas around Dennisville that are really in terrible shape.

I was told that once freight service gets rolling to Woodbine, there will be more money coming in, which can then be put towards restoration of the railroad between Woodbine and Courthouse.

When this will happen I don't know for sure, but I am told that the Woodbine freight activity should begin pretty soon.

Take care guys.

Mike DiMunno

#443271  by prsl7668

Freight service will be starting soon.....have been hearing this for the past two years. I don't see how they will make enough money when service does start with money coming from only one customer down there. It sure is nice to dream.

#443309  by JJMDiMunno

prsl7668 wrote:Freight service will be starting soon.....have been hearing this for the past two years. I don't see how they will make enough money when service does start with money coming from only one customer down there. It sure is nice to dream.
How they will do this is not a concern of mine...if they feel it can be done, I think that's enough...as with all things, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Maybe they have something else lined up down there...we really don't know.

Mike DiMunno

#443426  by rrbluesman

correct me if I am wrong, but I thought one of the 'services' that the CMSL frieght was going to provide was storage of frieght cars like the SRNJ does at Winslow and the W&W does. That always left me with the impression that despite the fact they only had one confirmed customer as I am aware that they had ties to something else since they were offering storage.

#443441  by JJMDiMunno

rrbluesman wrote:correct me if I am wrong, but I thought one of the 'services' that the CMSL frieght was going to provide was storage of frieght cars like the SRNJ does at Winslow and the W&W does. That always left me with the impression that despite the fact they only had one confirmed customer as I am aware that they had ties to something else since they were offering storage.
You're correct...this is already happening, as there are cars stored at both Tuckahoe and Woodbine at any given time.

Additionally, the Seashore Lines has set up a team track of sorts on the connecting track ROW for the old Woodbine Secondary lead...this is intended to provide additional revenue once things are going...

Mike DiMunno