Railroad Forums 

• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#289096  by transit383

Seems like that 4207 likes to hang out with all those F40PH-2CATs…it always manages to find its way back to the RVL. I've noticed its presence on the RVL for over a year now.

#289362  by Wanderer

I like her two tone paint scheme also. The cab of 4207 is one tone of gray, and the rest of her another.

#299766  by transit383

Saw these sets on the RVL this week:
  • 4113/6004 (5 C2Ms with a C5 cab)
    4114/6015 (5 C2Ms with a C5 cab)
    4129/6060 (5 C5s with 5022 between the engine and first car)
    4137/6016 (7 car set, 5 C2Ms sandwiched between a C5 on either end)
    4141/6009 (solid C5 set)

#329878  by Wanderer

Ballast Extra went West tonight through Roselle Park…
  • 00:26 – NJTR X4219W
    NJTR4219 [GP40PH-2B]
    NJTR4150 [GP40PH-2]
    22 Empties
    Last Car: NJT9128
Raritan Sets currently include:
  • NJTR4113 / Cars: 6 / Cab: NJTR6024
    NJTR4118 / Cars: 6 / Cab: NJTR6040
    NJTR4120 / Cars: 6 / Cab: NJTR5020
    NJTR4125 / Cars: 6 / Cab: NJTR6031
    NJTR4127 / Cars: 6 / Cab: NJTR6016
    NJTR4128 / Cars: 6 / Cab: NJTR5027
    NJTR4135 / Cars: 6 / Cab: NJTR6030
    NJTR4136 / Cars: 6 / Cab: NJTR6015
    NJTR4210 / Cars: 7 / Cab: NJTR6043
Have a good night all.
Last edited by Wanderer on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

#329912  by Zeke

Matt, while it is appreciated, and your reporting is informative, details such as ×× ×××××× or ××××× ×× ×× ×××× are not your business nor is it for public consumption. Full-time railroaders are not that enamored with train buffs don't make it any worse than it already is. I am sure you will accept this as constructive criticism and not a flame.

#329980  by Wanderer

Not at all taken as a flame Zeke. And coming from a railroad family, I respect your opinion and understand why. Problem is, and what so many of the "buff-haters" fail to realize, it is no big secret. It is not a national security secret. It happened out in the open where any person, enthusiast or not, could see it. It was an observation from a public vantage point.

I operate my sightings on the same principle as newsmakers. You report the truth, with the optimum facts, but can't always make everyone happy. So I appoligize if anyone is upset by the completeness of the report, but if it is not to be for "public consumption", then it should not be out in the open world where it can be seen.

I thank you for your kind concerns Zeke. Out of my respect for yourself and my upmost respect for your opinion, I have heeded your constructive advice, and the message in question has been modified.

#330549  by mcmannors

Wanderer wrote:I operate my sightings on the same principle as newsmakers. You report the truth, with the optimum facts, but can't always make everyone happy. So I apologize if anyone is upset by the completeness of the report, but if it is not to be for "public consumption", then it should not be out in the open world where it can be seen.
  1. The big difference is that news people who want to expose wrongdoings aren't usually "buffs" of the people or things they are exposing.
  2. Just because something happened in the "open world", it doesn't mean that it was automatically noticed by everybody. By you pointing things out, certain people who might not have noticed may now notice.
  3. I could be wrong, but I would think that most buffs would want the cooperation of crews; it could benefit them in the long run. Why take actions that would result in the making of enemies? It makes no sense.

#330571  by Ken W2KB

mcmannors wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:However, Id tend to think that the RVL trains were late for more than just the reason of Dock not answering the phone, but rather due to congestion east AND west and through Newark Penn, and even more likely late connecting trains from New York.
The word I got was that there were catenary problems on Track 4 due to a balloon hitting the overhead wire. I guess it was one of those silver "Happy Birthday" type of balloons, huh? From what I hear, one of those can knock out a railroad single-handedly! :-D
The metallic balloons are also a thorn in the side of the electric utility distribution industry. Many local power outages occur when those balloons short out the primary wires.

#331227  by transit383

On the RVL Today:
  • 4127 - 5 C2Ms - 6016
    4114 - 5 C2Ms - 6030
    4116 - 5 C2Ms - 6031
    4142 - 5 C2Ms - 6068
The seven-car set that is usually found on the RVL seems to have been downgraded to a standard six car set.

#331448  by Adirondack

Saturday morning at about 10:00, a consist came Westbound through North Branch. I couldn't make out any details, but it had twelve cars and an engine at each end. Is there some sort of Santa Train?

It's now 10:40, and the consist has returned Eastbound. That's about enough time to make it to High Bridge and back?

#331463  by CNJGeep

Yeah, Raritan to Westfield Santa Train. We on the Coast Line get 600 people on 3272 between Little Silver and Red Bank for our Christmas Train.

#331674  by nick11a

I thought it ran to High Bridge?

#331788  by Wanderer

mcmannors wrote:The big difference is that news people who want to expose wrongdoings aren't usually "buffs" of the people or things they are exposing.
I didn't say anything about exposing anything Marty. I stated an accurate observation. Nothing more, nothing less. If I stated the sky was blue, with the intent of just stating what I saw, am I exposing that? Nope. Same thing.

Don't think so much. The observations were amended immediately out of respect for those who took exception. Relax.

Secondly…I also thought the Jersey Central "Santa Train" would be venturing to High Bridge. One the engines used was more than likely the 4122, which got a free ride MUed with 4120 on Wednesday night.

#332123  by mcmannors

Wanderer wrote: If I stated the sky was blue, with the intent of just stating what I saw, am I exposing that? Nope. Same thing.
Nobody can get reprimanded or lose their job if you report that "the sky is blue".

Except for maybe a meteorologist who forecasted rain. :-)

#332124  by Jtgshu

I dunno Mc — if something happened and you wrote "cloudy" on your 1055, there could be a problem!!!