Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Lines still not running

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#268616  by NJ Vike

Douglas John Bowen wrote:On a separate note, those wishing full access to NJ-ARP goings-on are always welcome to join the organization. Details at www.nj-arp.org.

We try hard to share relevant information to all concerned rail folks. But we're not beholden to offer unlimited news service to nonmembers demanding same.
Being a Northern NJ resident and RR fan of everywhere, how's the Lackawanna Cut-off project stand? Perhaps I should ask this in that forum
:-D

#268946  by DougD

Buena Vista Township has posted their timetable/Brochure for Sat. trains through December 2006.
http://www.buenavistatownship.org/richl ... 20by%20BVT

Please note this is not an official announcement by the CMSL. This printing of the brochure has the old CMSL website listed.

Doug D.

#269052  by prsl7668

DougD wrote:Buena Vista Township has posted their timetable/Brochure for Sat. trains through December 2006.
http://www.buenavistatownship.org/richl ... 20by%20BVT

Please note this is not an official announcement by the CMSL. This printing of the brochure has the old CMSL website listed.

Doug D.
Looks like they had these printed for the late winter and early spring by advertising Easter and Spring trains.....

#269413  by glennk419

As of 7:14 this evening, the entire website has been been reopened and updated to show that Tuckahoe - Richland service will start next weekend. The start date for Cape May service is still TBA but a schedule is also published for that. Looks like trains will indeed be running. :-D

http://www.capemayseashorelines.org/index.html

#269480  by JoeBas

Perfect timing! I leave for a week in South Jersey tomorrow. :wink:
 #269922  by Diesel Doc

As I was reading all of your postings regarding CMSL troubles, I couldn't help it but I had to laugh in regards to the Canal Bridge problems. I called my Father, who is now 81 and told him his bridge was down. He procceded to tell me in no uncertain terms, he and his partner renewed the power cables to the bridge in 62'. This subermerged cable is lead encased and was "state of the art" back then. My Father also stated he is surprised it lasted up till now. He also asked if any body can still see the initials "EJT" carved somewhere in the pedestal to let me know and I can inform him.
I did ask him if he would like to give some advice to expedite the repairs,
I can't type his reply!
 #270293  by lv414

Diesel Doc wrote:As I was reading all of your postings regarding CMSL troubles, I couldn't help it but I had to laugh in regards to the Canal Bridge problems. I called my Father, who is now 81 and told him his bridge was down. He procceded to tell me in no uncertain terms, he and his partner renewed the power cables to the bridge in 62'. This subermerged cable is lead encased and was "state of the art" back then. My Father also stated he is surprised it lasted up till now. He also asked if any body can still see the initials "EJT" carved somewhere in the pedestal to let me know and I can inform him.
I did ask him if he would like to give some advice to expedite the repairs,
I can't type his reply!
Bridge just got rebuilt before the Cape May service started so I doubt that is the reason for the train still not running down there. Had the same excuse last year when they didn't start going into Cape May until right before July 4. If they wait long enough mayde they couls start with the Christmas trains. Sure would be cooler down there by then.
 #270297  by Douglas John Bowen

In discussions with both New Jersey Transit and Cape May Seashore Lines, NJ-ARP has been informed that, in fact, the condition of the Cape May Canal Bridge is a primary factor excluding rail passenger operations this summer between Cape May City and Cape May Court House.

If other physical factors are involved in precluding service, neither party has mentioned same to NJ-ARP.
 #270517  by Douglas John Bowen

Lv414 will have to explain to NJ-ARP where he sees the "waste" generated by lack of train service.

Certainly, NJ-ARP can see the loss of revenue Cape May Seashore Lines might suffer, and we're willing to continue as spectators while others speculate (guess?) on various reasons why -- even as those reasons are dispelled one by one and those points (guesses) retired quietly.

But landlord New Jersey Transit gets its payment from tenant Cape May Seashore Lines regardless of CMSL's catering to clientele. NJ-ARP doesn't see the "waste" there. It's possible NJT should explore ways to maximize its revenue on its property, but that's NJT's mission, not the responsibility of CMSL.

It's also possible, of course, that some see passenger train restoration efforts in Cape May as a "waste" of energy. We're not troubled by that; naysayers and negativists have their place, and as long as they're not in our way we'll give them their rightful space.
 #270607  by Douglas John Bowen

We can't speak directly for Cape May Seashore Lines, but we're pretty sure it's in business to maximize revenue for its own well-being, not (directly) for the line over which it operates. As a for-profit company (or, allowing for those most cynical, a company with pretensions of for-profit grandeur), CMSL certainly should sustain itself -- not its rental unit.

But CMSL is one tenant of the Cape May Branch, not the owner. To that end, NJ-ARP would believe it's in the best interests of the line's owner -- New Jersey Transit Corp. -- to maximize revenue from property it owns and/or oversees.

Is there overlap and/or complementary goalsetting here? Of course. But on this thread, the issue of "waste" seemingly was directed toward Cape May Seashore Lines, as if its inability to operate was sapping taxpayer dollars (presumably from other, more worthy entities and/or locales). NJ-ARP doesn't subscribe to the supposition, since NJ Transit (as landlord) has continued being reimbursed by CMSL for renting out its property.

Both existing Cape May Branch tenants benefit from the (minimal?) investment NJT has committed to the branch line. Any additional tenants likely would also benefit, regardless of CMSL's action or inaction, efficiency or supposed ineptitude.

Since NJ-ARP takes a long view of the state's commitment to its rail infrastructure -- ideally for passenger purposes -- we reject any suggestion that fiscal attention to the Cape May Branch is a "waste."

#271137  by CJPat

Brian

You are quite accurate in most of your description. In any business, it would be "highly advantageous" for the business operator (CMSL in this case) to drum up as much business for themselves as possible. And I will ammend my previous statement. CMSL has a business responsibility, as defined in their business plan. But only to their Investors, no one else.

Only the Investors can hold CMSL accountable for their responsibilities. Unless there is some language in the operating lease, CMSL probably has no responsibility regarding profit generation to NJT.

I fully do not understand the hostility I read towards the CMSL. I can understand disappointment, but not hostility. Some of our Forum Members sound like they believe CMSL is interfering with some greater plan to develop South Jersey. Everything I have read indicates that if CMSL didn't exist, the only thing you might find on the site would be a possible bike trail or a habitat for ticks.

#271201  by The Vicarage

Considering the Canal Bridge was about to be removed before CMSL came along, it's not likely another RR would've been in Cape May. In actual fact, immediately after Crook Horn was removed, Canal was slated to be next. It's easy for another RR to "say" they could do what CMSL has done; it's another thing to actually DO it. I must agree with the sentiment that there appears to be ongoing hostility (simply read previous threads, often by the same 2-3 people.) Rather than what seem to be cryptic gripes, I'd like to hear CMSL dissenters really say what they feel.

As a longtime supporter of the line, I am disappointed they're not yet running. I would gather they feel more disappointed than anyone else; for all those complaining about lack of service thus far, CMSL must feel this sentiment triple-fold. However, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and wait for them to reopen. Nonsensical talk about money problems, and a myriad of "business" issues is, as far as any of us knows, complete foolishness, and not worth the keyboard such diatribes are typed on.

#271225  by lv414

Hopefully they will be running by August 19 and 20 when Historic Cold Spring Village host Railroad Days

#271234  by PRSL1972

Instead of everyone bickering lets work the problem. Call your elected people in office, write articles. If we can work the problem a solution might be in the mits. :-D :-D :-D :-D

#271350  by prr60

PRSL1972 wrote:Instead of everyone bickering lets work the problem. Call your elected people in office, write articles. If we can work the problem a solution might be in the mits. :-D :-D :-D :-D
That would be much easier if we knew what the problem was.