Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1533516  by daybeers

Interesting! I didn't see the second page of the RFI so I thought it was old. Not sure if the MBTA wants their MBB coaches back (I forget how long the lease is), if this is for more trains, or for overcrowding, which only affects the Amtrak trains as far as I know.

I know CTDOT is working on a new car procurement, which will likely see revenue service in the next 3-4 years, not 5. I can't speak any more on this.

I don't see why CT would spend the money on MLVs when this order is not for the New Haven Line. However, the push-pull equipment will probably be replaced at the same time.

Sometimes Shoreliners are used on the Hartford Line and honestly the restored MBBs run better than the Shoreliners, which rattle even more and always come paired with a beat-up CTDOT GE P40 engine. I took 4406 on 2/6 and HEP conked out and it seemed the train went into emergency just north of the tunnel north of Hartford. Sat there for a couple minutes with power off until we were on and moving again. No issues after that.
 #1533544  by daybeers

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:21 am I have never seen nor heard of a Shoreliner run on Hartford Line trains.
I apologize, I got mixed up. I was talking about the Mafersa coaches.
 #1533565  by njtmnrrbuff

That’s ok. Shoreliners ran on SLE for a while but then after VRE converted to all bilevel, CDOT took the Mafersa Cars and since then, many have been running on SLE. They do show up on the Springfield Line on a regular basis and have been since Ctrail started running.
 #1533707  by BandA

daybeers wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 am...Not sure if the MBTA wants their MBB coaches back (I forget how long the lease is),...

I know CTDOT is working on a new car procurement, which will likely see revenue service in the next 3-4 years, not 5. I can't speak any more on this.
...snip...
Sometimes Shoreliners are used on the Hartford Line and honestly the restored MBBs run better than the Shoreliners, which rattle even more and always come paired with a beat-up CTDOT GE P40 engine. I took 4406 on 2/6 and HEP conked out and it seemed the train went into emergency just north of the tunnel north of Hartford. Sat there for a couple minutes with power off until we were on and moving again. No issues after that.
It sounds like CDOT and MBTA are both desperate for coaches; In September the MBTA ordered 80 more new bi-level Rotems from South Korea in a no-bid, not eligible for federal funds order expected 2022-2024. They were still planning to scrap the MBBs, but in October they announced they can't wait until 2022, and were refurbishing the MBBs! http://www.railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=170491
 #1535084  by NH2060

I doubt they’ll end up on the Flyer as it’s an Amtrak train. Most likely it’ll be the T if they really are that short on equipment.

Are all the MAFERSA’s in use though? CT owns 33 but aren’t there like 15-16 cars mothballed/in storage?

I eagerly await to see what equipment Guiletti can find within the next couple of months.
 #1535089  by EuroStar

It really sounds as if bus-titution for years coupled with reduced schedule and crowding is coming to the Hartford Line.
One really has to ponder whether CDOT shouldn't just have ordered a small fleet of NJT or MBTA bilevels when the Hartford line first began operation. By now such an order would have probably began delivery. While far from ideal, both of those were/are in production and have enough of an installed base in other states that parts shortage was unlikely. Are the savings from bundling everything with the eventual MTA coach order worth it if those cars are not going to be available for 5+ years?
 #1535097  by njtmnrrbuff

The MBB cars won’t operate on the Valley Flyers. It’s Amtrak equipment and it will be operated by Amtrak crew members as long as if the Flyer is able to operate.

It sounds like if Ctrail Hartford Line trains can’t use the MBB cars anymore, then a possible equipment shortage will be looming. Metro North probably needs as much of its Shoreliner Equipment as possible.
 #1535102  by daybeers

EuroStar wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:51 am It really sounds as if bus-titution for years coupled with reduced schedule and crowding is coming to the Hartford Line.
One really has to ponder whether CDOT shouldn't just have ordered a small fleet of NJT or MBTA bilevels when the Hartford line first began operation. By now such an order would have probably began delivery. While far from ideal, both of those were/are in production and have enough of an installed base in other states that parts shortage was unlikely. Are the savings from bundling everything with the eventual MTA coach order worth it if those cars are not going to be available for 5+ years?
I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out to be. Did you read the RFI? It's due tomorrow afternoon and they want cars on the property before April 30, 2020.

CTDOT has another thing coming, at least from me, if there will be a reduction in service.

Again, they are working on procurement for new cars presently, discussed in the end of the first page/second page of this thread: https://www.railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=85497
 #1535105  by EuroStar

daybeers wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:24 pm I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out to be. Did you read the RFI? It's due tomorrow afternoon and they want cars on the property before April 30, 2020.
I did read it and that is why I think there is no chance that any operable car will be made available on the property by April 30, 2020. If Massachusetts really wants and gets its cars back, then what can CDOT do? The Hartford Line is a toast, no?
 #1535114  by NH2060

Perhaps the RFI could be used as leverage in getting an extension on the MBB lease if there are no spare cars to be found anywhere? (“We looked and there’s nothing available and we can’t replace the trains with buses!”)