Railroad Forums 

• Error #404: MTA.logo.exe is not found

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1534935  by ConstanceR46

in 1992 the LIRR still ran freight, used (de-motored for the pedants) alco FAs in daily service, and wasn't under strict orders from andrew "rivers "shivers"" cuomo to paint everything blue and gold.

cuomo's heart won't be melted because a pre-teen foamer wrote to him with "pretty pretty please"
 #1534944  by Pensyfan19

ConstanceR46 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:44 am cuomo's heart won't be melted because a pre-teen foamer wrote to him with "pretty pretty please"
First of all, I'm not a preteen. I'm almost at the legal age of an adult.
Second, I wrote to the LIRR and the president himself. Not Cuomo. I mentioned other recommendations in the letter other than heritage units.
Third, that still doesn't answer the question of why the LIRR has two orange and grey SW1001s which would he considered heritage units (if not the first form of a heritage unit) in 1992 before the existence of NYAR and before Cuomo was in office.
Fourth, sorry for going off topic. Maybe the LIRR should buy a few MTA logos from anyone in order to at least make the DM30ACs that don't have them, especially the newly repainted ones, to look presentable and be up to code. Also keep in mind that part of Cuomo's paint scheme includes the MTA logo on the front of the engine, not just the sides.
 #1534963  by Backshophoss

IT WONT HAPPEN!!!! you are not voting age yet are you?
Political Pressure from Albany (Cuomo) will OVERRIDE history every time.
All of MTA needs to be uniform appearance in the public's eye, per gov Cuomo.
The 2 SW 1001's are trade in fodder for the ESA/Atlantic branch switch loco's .
 #1534981  by MACTRAXX

ConstanceR46 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:44 am in 1992 the LIRR still ran freight, used (de-motored for the pedants) alco FAs in daily service, and wasn't under strict orders from andrew "rivers "shivers"" cuomo to paint everything blue and gold.

cuomo's heart won't be melted because a pre-teen foamer wrote to him with "pretty pretty please"
CR: Mario M. Cuomo - Andrew's father - was NYS Governor between 1983
and 1994. George Pataki was elected in 1994 ushering in a GOP administration.
Governor Cuomo Senior was not known to meddle in these types of matters.

Back in the middle 1990s a LIRR Master Mechanic came up with an interesting
color scheme variation for locomotives and power units - what was unfortunate
was that the MTA bureaucrats would only allow blue and yellow - NYS colors of
anyone is unaware - the side striping was based on an Erie Lackawanna type.

This same Master Mechanic was responsible for getting the two SW1001 protect
units (102 and 104 I believe) painted in the orange and gray Dashing Dan colors.

1994 was when the MTA introduced the Pac-Man logo replacing the blue "meatball"
M logo. I never liked the MTA pac-man logo from day one with my favorite being
the original two-tone blue late 1960s M logo as introduced on the M1 MU fleet.

In recent years I was thinking that the MTA could come up with something better
to replace the 1994 vintage pac-man logo which has now been used for 26 years.
The M9 scheme is an interesting color change - a new MTA logo design or image
could add to the changes that have been made...MACTRAXX
 #1534992  by BuddR32

Pensyfan19 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:58 pm
Fourth, sorry for going off topic. Maybe the LIRR should buy a few MTA logos from anyone in order to at least make the DM30ACs that don't have them, especially the newly repainted ones, to look presentable and be up to code. Also keep in mind that part of Cuomo's paint scheme includes the MTA logo on the front of the engine, not just the sides.
Believe it or not, the 'up to code' you speak of simply the FRA Requires the railroad's reporting mark on the equipment, which is simply "LI" on each side, not even the front. The fact that a few engines do not have the logo on the front is immaterial.

Cuomo or anyone else isnt going to lose too many votes because the engine of their train on a railroad they hate doesnt bestow the name of that railroad on the front of it.

I also doubt that Cuomo also is too concerned that the 20+ year old equipment doesnt match his uniform scheme. That equipment wasn't ushered in on his photo op.
 #1535243  by grobtech

One interesting note. The new fleet of Low Emission Diesel Locomotives (yet to be ordered but funded) will feature a return to the past with the "wave theme" that was featured on the the GP-38-2's. This time, the scheme will feature the NYS Pantone that we're seeing on the M9's and other MTA fleets.

This comes from the RFP documents:
Fullscreen capture 7192018 12942 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 7192018 12942 PM.jpg (196.91 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
 #1535252  by Pensyfan19

grobtech wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:50 pm One interesting note. The new fleet of Low Emission Diesel Locomotives (yet to be ordered but funded) will feature a return to the past with the "wave theme" that was featured on the the GP-38-2's. This time, the scheme will feature the NYS Pantone that we're seeing on the M9's and other MTA fleets.

This comes from the RFP documents:
Fullscreen capture 7192018 12942 PM.jpg
I am aware of this amazing paint scheme! 8D
Hopefully the colors come out better in person than on this sketch. Can't wait to see them in service! :-D

Also to answer the original question of this topic, every LIRR repaint is done with a paint roller without the front MTA logo since the paint booth was taken down. To further discuss about this, please view the LIRR 511 discussion.
 #1535294  by RGlueck

If the paint scheme was gray and orange, you'd have something. So are they going back to real coaches, of or sticking with the Push-Pull concept?