Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1529123  by Ridgefielder

S1f3432 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:26 pm CN says it bought CSX's Massena line to protect the connection to CSX and prevent it from being sold
to a shortline operator and their share of the rate divisions. CN reclaiming the CV/NECR would give them
a connection to NS altho it would involve PAS. Adding P&W would get them into the port of Providence.
It's hard to imagine that traffic levels and roundabout routings would make it worthwhile- that's why they
unloaded it in the first place. Ditto SLR. Given CP's recent moves are they anticipating some change
coming at PAR?
I've been wondering if there's some trade and/or tariff-related reason that's driving the big Canadian roads to seek port access on the US East Coast. CN already has plenty of connectivity to NS in the Midwest-- they wouldn't need to route through PAS. They *could* however negotiate for haulage rights on PAS between Miller's Falls and the P&W at Gardner to access Providence.
 #1529149  by S1f3432

For traffic from the west to the U.S. east coast a midwest or Buffalo interchange point is a no-brainer.
But for traffic to and from Quebec and the Maritimes, Buffalo is a long trip out of the way. Plenty of
semis on I-95 in Maine with Canadian license plates.
 #1533597  by Dick H

There was a partial collapse in the Hossac tunnel, toward the west end earlier today.
PAR is arranging a detour route via the Vermont Railway from Hossick Jct to Rutland
and down the Green Mountain Line to Bellows Falls and PAR to East Deerfield for
eastbound general freight and the reverse for westbound general freight. Intermodal
traffic will use CSX between Selkirk NY and Ayer MA.
 #1533681  by MEC407

Facebook. 'nuff said. 🙃
 #1533701  by NHV 669

Narrowgauger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm OMG!!!!!!!!!! Over in the VTR railfan facebook pages they are going after anyone posting any info about these moves. Top secret stuff i guess. One guy said you cant hide a train. Had to laugh at that one.
You're referring to at least the "photographic history" photo/video page that asked folks not to make speculative posts, while the OP/mod wrote directly in the comments that photos of the detour trains themselves were fine. This came after they were apparently contacted by VTR personnel, assuming someone much higher up.

Some of these pages are starting to follow the same formula: Instead of a single post asking if/stating that a train has passed XYZ location today, you've got dozens of kids/foamers asking "are they gonna send XYZ unit with the train?", "what's the power?" a dozen asking, "where is the train?", and with this tunnel issue, "how long will they run these detours?"

What happened to simply driving along the tracks and accidentally stumbling upon a moving freight?
 #1533981  by Narrowgauger

NHV 669 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:14 pm
Narrowgauger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm OMG!!!!!!!!!! Over in the VTR railfan facebook pages they are going after anyone posting any info about these moves. Top secret stuff i guess. One guy said you cant hide a train. Had to laugh at that one.
You're referring to at least the "photographic history" photo/video page that asked folks not to make speculative posts, while the OP/mod wrote directly in the comments that photos of the detour trains themselves were fine. This came after they were apparently contacted by VTR personnel, assuming someone much higher up.

Some of these pages are starting to follow the same formula: Instead of a single post asking if/stating that a train has passed XYZ location today, you've got dozens of kids/foamers asking "are they gonna send XYZ unit with the train?", "what's the power?" a dozen asking, "where is the train?", and with this tunnel issue, "how long will they run these detours?"

What happened to simply driving along the tracks and accidentally stumbling upon a moving freight?
As the poster said, its hard to hide a train. These facebook posters think it is some sort of high security news. Insulting people who post questions etc. I dealt with management of the MEC many years ago and never heard of any body attempting to hush up any body. But you are right, times sure have changed.
 #1533996  by NHV 669

Photos have been posted, train locations named, etc. since the collapse. Several of those posters work for the RR itself, and I would think they'd do what's needed to make sure any confidential info that would put their jobs at risk doesn't get disseminated all over the place. They have a sightings/chases page, they don't need foamers posting 50 threads asking where the detours are/what's on them/when will they be here? on a page meant for sharing material later on.

I check that page frequently and didn't see any offending posts, other than the widely circulated tunnel photo in a comment thread about the collapse , so I'm assuming this was the admin acting proactively in this case. There were no insults thrown, just a suggestion of toning down the foam level. No big deal, things are as usual.