Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1533232  by DutchRailnut

meanwhile just for giggles (I know he is not member ) https://biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Documents/Bid ... _FINAL.pdf
Last edited by nomis on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: split for the service-ready portion of the CDOT Rail Fleet thread over the past couple of days.
 #1533244  by Backshophoss

ConnDOT will go for the NJT Comets,are equal to the current Comet Fleet they own,the MARC cars would not share any parts with
the Comets.
 #1533293  by EuroStar

And why are we assuming that NJT has any Comets to spare? That might occur if/when Bombarier delivers the mythical multilevel EMUs, but before then I do not see it. Also aren't the MARC cars already spoken for by the LIRR for this and maybe the next few summers?
 #1533303  by Backshophoss

The MARC cars are active reserve for MARC cars that are at a contract shop for rebuild.
MARC may have "soured" on leasing them out.
 #1533337  by DutchRailnut

also the MARC cars have manual doors I believe, and would not be able to run into GCT in revenue service.
 #1533342  by Pensyfan19

DutchRailnut wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:21 pm also the MARC cars have manual doors I believe, and would not be able to run into GCT in revenue service.
Then why did Amtrak use them for service to Grand Central back in 2018???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQ1zPWLggg
 #1533352  by DutchRailnut

only the cab car, passengers were not allowed in that car.
 #1533405  by EuroStar

daybeers wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:38 am But the procurement for new cars?
There will be no new cars on the property for at least another 5 years. It appears that this is either to address some real need (Hartford Line overcrowding?) or just dotting the i-s and crossing the t-s for the actual new car procurement. Someone privier to the CtDOT thinking might be able to elaborate.
 #1533418  by njtmnrrbuff

We should know what the replacement equipment will be very soon and when it would enter revenue service. Five years is a long time to
be waiting for the actual equipment to enter revenue service in relation to when we first heard about the news. Probably the biggest overcrowding is encountered on the Amtrak two car shuttle trains on the SPG Line.
 #1533452  by Backshophoss

ConnDOT would like to get rid of the MBB leased cars from MBTA/MassDOT,the used Comets will replace the MBB cars.
The joint MN/ConnDOT order for an MLV based cars will depend on BBD staying in business in some form.
 #1533485  by njtmnrrbuff

I did see somewhere for the MNR Shoreliners to run on Ctrail trains temporarily until the brand new equipment comes. There are Shoreliners that are in better shape than the MBB cars. I think CDOT and MNR jointly ordered center door Shoreliners in the early first decade of the 2000s and those should run on Ctrail.
 #1533491  by DutchRailnut

untill new push pulls get ordered on MN/CDOT that would be pipedream .
there simply is no spare equipment .
 #1533496  by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, MNR needs as much of its equipment as possible. I have a feeling that the push pull equipment that operates on MNR trains will probably be replaced about the same time as the Ctrail trains. Obviously, both MNR and Ctrail haven't put out any information about their official new orders yet.