Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1532226  by nyandw

Hi Folks, I'm working on the LIRR hack paint schemes history: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/caboos ... chemes.htm I previously had complied this listing, perhaps 15 years back on this page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcabooseroster.htm, but I posted it below:

Any changes/updates/addition/etc. that can be made? Thank you.

LIRR's Caboose Fleet: 21st Century Status
#1 Twin Forks
#2 owned by OBRM
#12 Owned by OBRM
#14 Greenport RMLI
#29, at the Seashore Trolley Museum, in Kennebunkport, MA
#38 at Camp Pa-Qua-Tuck, Center Moriches, NY
C-50 OBRM.
C-51 is buried in the Babylon team yard.
C-53 Owned by Lindenhurst Historical society-Donated by OBRM
C-54, C-56, C-61, C-66 (to-be President's Car), sat idle in Holban for a number of years before being moved out some time ago, still on property although likely going somewhere.. [LIRR]
C-56 see above. [LIRR]
C-57 located at Schiff Scout Reservation in Wading River
C-58 was the one at TVRM, now owned by a well known LIRRer and housed at the Hoosier Valley Museum in Indiana.
C-60 to Twin Forks & restored, now at Transit Museum.
C-61 see above. [LIRR]
C-62 went to NYA and is now on LIRC as their 105.
C-63 to Twin Forks, Riverhead.
C-64 to Twin Forks, Riverhead.
C-65 also went to NYA and stays idle in Fresh Pond.
C-66 see above.
C-68 Riverhead RMLI.
C-69 is also on the property, the only hack to receive reflective striping. [LIRR]
 #1532249  by RGlueck

#29, at the Seashore Museum was offered for sale -cheap- last year. The frame work was good when I saw it a few years back, but the roof and sides needed immediate attention. She's complete with trucks, too, but I fear the caboose may have been parted out and scrapped by now.
 #1532256  by LRail

Didn't the NYA use one on a PTC train on the Port Jeff branch recently?
 #1532328  by Pensyfan19

C-51 is buried in the Babylon team yard.
How?
And is there any way to excavate it?
Probably C-65 since it is the only one listed which is owned by NYAR.

Also, what is meant by the "President's Car" for C-66?
 #1532335  by nyandw

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:35 pm
PTC define please? Thanks.

"Also, what is meant by the "President's Car" for C-66?
That was the input provided to me at the time it was used as this:
 #1532341  by ConstanceR46

buried in railroad terminology means behind several other cars; c-51 is stuck behind the mow-du-joir that passes through babylon
 #1532488  by LINYARailfan

nyandw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:44 pm
LRail wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:23 am Didn't the NYA use one on a PTC train on the Port Jeff branch recently?
What is PTC?
LRail,
Yes NYA used a caboose on a PTC test train on the Port Jefferson branch a few years back. They also used their caboose on a PTC test train on the central branch back in November 2019. This was conducted by both the LIRR and NYA personnel. It was a very rare sighting because the train consisted of a NYA GP38-2 and a LIRR MP15AC along with their caboose and 21 GATX hoppers.
nyandw,
PTC stands for Positive Train Control- a crash prevention technology that uses radio transponders on both the tracks and on the trains to slow down a train that exceeds the speed limit or fails to stop for a stop signal. Interesting that I personally captured footage of a PTC/ Interlocking test train consisting of a DE30AC and a C3 Cab Car on the Hempstead branch in Garden City back in March 2019.
 #1532509  by RGlueck

An engineer friend who operates trolleys at Seashore has just email me. LIRR #29 was sold by Kennebunkport museum to a private owner for restoration. Let's hope it's finished in a positive manner and brought back as a full LIRR cabin car.