Railroad Forums 

• Yorktown Heights Railroad Station to be Restored (New York Central Putnam Division)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1513821  by Jeff Smith

TapInto.net
YORKTOWN, N.Y. – Last week, the Yorktown Town Board awarded a contract to Clemco Construction & Restoration Inc. for a little more than $476,000 to restore the defunct Yorktown Heights Railroad Station depot in Railroad Park.
The 420-square-foot depot, a one-story frame structure with deep, bracketed overhangs, was built in 1877 by the New York, Westchester and Putnam Railway. Its two rooms served as waiting and baggage rooms, and the building itself served as the center of town, sitting in the midst of stores and businesses, a school and churches. New York Central Railroad, Putnam Division, acquired the line and station in 1894.

But the ever-increasing popularity of another mode of transportation—the automobile—drove train service out of town. The last train to pull into the station did so on May 29, 1958, four years before freight service was abandoned between East Falls and Mahopac. In 1966, the town purchased it, and the exterior of the depot was repaired in the latter half of the 1970s.

The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, followed by placement on local and state registers.

According to Tegeder, the depot is the only one of its type on the abandoned line that has not been significantly modified.
 #1517978  by Backshophoss

Yorktown was the "end point" for some of commuter service from Sedgewick Ave,there was a yard in Yorktown with a turntable.
Reportedly the TT pit was located near the east end of the yard.
Yorktown Museum has some artifacts related to the Put Division,a large drawing of XC crossing is there(Mahopac branch from Goldens Bridge)
may have a "operating" HO scale display layout.
A former PRR/PC (N-5?) caboose is also on display in that park,in faded "Jade green" with PC reporting marks.
The Yorktoqn Museum is located in a former school building in the center of town.
 #1520086  by TCurtin

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:49 pm there was a yard in Yorktown with a turntable.
Reportedly the TT pit was located near the east end of the yard.
The turntable pit is a way south of the station, behind what I think (not sure) is the town hall. It's fully intact, and the last time
I was there it was so full of plants and flowers that you could mistake it for a rock garden (LOL).
 #1520118  by CarterB

Photo of loco on YH turntable:
https://westchester.pastperfectonline.c ... 5273289350
Steam locos lined up at YH
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1376146
the station
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorktown_Heights_station
location possibility of turntable? N 41.26873 W 73.78081
 #1520491  by cr9617

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:49 pm A former PRR/PC (N-5?) caboose is also on display in that park,in faded "Jade green" with PC reporting marks.
The Yorktoqn Museum is located in a former school building in the center of town.
According to this page the caboose (19123) was moved to the Danbury Railway Museum.

https://www.hebners.net/PC/pcN5.html
 #1520497  by Backshophoss

The yard was 1/2 mile south(RR east) of the station along the west side of the main track
Turntable lead was off the west yard ladder track,at that time the yard was surrounded by a swamp.
Seems there were some passenger cars in the back of that yard used as" Bunkhouse" for T&E Crews
Like Put Jct,this was a passenger yard,no freight was kept at that yard'(except for co.service cars)
 #1542513  by TCurtin

On a recent trip into Yorktown Heights to do a little banking (We live in the next town these days) I was almost knocked over to see the very sizable renovation job in progess on the ex-NYC station there. I have no idea who's bankrolling that but they're doing a spectacular job from what I can see.
(My wife commented "Maybe they'll make it a restaurant." Kind of amusing to picture that --- She was thinking of the number of stations on the nearby Harlem Division that have indeed become restaurants.. However, anyone familiar with size of typical Put stations would realize it would barely hold a kitchen much less a restaurant)
 #1542519  by Backshophoss

You might be able to shoehorn a subway kitchen in a Put station.
Believe the local BOCES Tech Center is providing some of the labor.
The turntable pit is roughly the south end of the Yard at Yorktown.