Railroad Forums 

• Farmingdale Residents vs. LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1518403  by Head-end View

This evening CBS local news ran a story about residents of relatively new condos who live next to the LIRR tracks in the Village of Farmingdale. They are complaining about noise from freight trains during the night and about a string of graffiti covered, gravel filled hopper cars on a siding opp. their residences and what all of this will do to property values.

Now let me get this straight. The railroad that has been there for over 100 years is running trains and storing cars on their tracks. Who would have thought? And the village government allowed condos to be built adjacent to the railroad so the Village could gain high property tax revenues. And now the residents who bought these condos knowing that they were next to the railroad tracks are complaining about the railroad's effect on their personal lives?

Well heck! What did they think life would be like living next to the LIRR? Like the man said in the movie: "They knew what they were getting into......." "I say let 'em crash!" LOL :wink:
Last edited by Head-end View on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1518423  by Publius Plunkett

It won't do anything to lower property values. Those apartments were built because of their proximity to the Rail Road. Since they've been built, rents in that area have moved higher and higher and property values in the vicinity of the apartments and Main Street area are rising. Unique and historic properties have doubled in price in just a couple of years. So their claims of the LIRR and NYAR lowering values, have less importance than the sound of crickets.

The Village will for political purposes, entertain their complaints, knowing full well that there is nothing that can be done about it. Nor do they want to do anything about it. What you have there is a couple of people who simply make noise. The buildings are fully rented and command extremely high rents.
 #1518469  by MattAmity90

It seems that we have a bunch of NIMBYs that moved in AFTER the railroad was built oh I don't know....185 years ago! Geez, people my age have rented those places, and this guy in his late-20's is saying to those people....get over it, be glad you have a means of transportation that saves you money on gas over the long haul. Something tells me that the people complaining are people that are not from New York at all. I've read people's complaints about the railroad, and I'm disgusted by the amount of disrespect they give it.

One thing to alleviate the noise though is the fact that due to the five grade crossings between the curve and Farmingdale, the horns are blown constantly during rush hour. What they could do is convert Merritts, Lincoln, Main, Elizabeth, and Segatogue into four-quadrant gated crossings to create one long QUIET ZONE. Just like what they did to Little Neck Parkway.

What's next? Hipsters and others whining and moaning in Amityville (my home) and Copiague that their condos are too close to the viaducts?
 #1518477  by MACTRAXX

H-E View and Everyone:

I found the CBS2 news report about the Farmingdale LIRR complaints:
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/08/27 ... ar-condos/

This turns out to be residents of an older garden apartment complex adjacent to the east end of Platform A
and not any of the more recently built TOD that is to the west of Farmingdale Station as I assumed that this
would be from the posted description. The noise and complaints are about LIRR ballast trains and hoppers
on the siding just to the east of the station that are being used for the Second Track Project work to the
east of Farmingdale.

Since this apartment complex is not near any of the Farmingdale grade crossings train horns are not likely
part of the NIMBY complaints about the LIRR addressed in this report.

MACTRAXX
 #1518521  by Crabman1130

Publius Plunkett wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 pm It won't do anything to lower property values. Those apartments were built because of their proximity to the Rail Road. Since they've been built, rents in that area have moved higher and higher and property values in the vicinity of the apartments and Main Street area are rising. Unique and historic properties have doubled in price in just a couple of years. So their claims of the LIRR and NYAR lowering values, have less importance than the sound of crickets.

The Village will for political purposes, entertain their complaints, knowing full well that there is nothing that can be done about it. Nor do they want to do anything about it. What you have there is a couple of people who simply make noise. The buildings are fully rented and command extremely high rents.
The mayor spoke on camera and knew that it was a temporary situation while track work is going on.
 #1518522  by Crabman1130

It's CBS News that should get facts straight before they air a story. This has nothing to do with NY&A and the industry to the east of the station. And once again the residents of Farmingdale, of which I'm one, show their ignorance for what is happening in their area.
 #1518569  by MattAmity90

Crabman1130 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:41 pm It's CBS News that should get facts straight before they air a story. This has nothing to do with NY&A and the industry to the east of the station. And once again the residents of Farmingdale, of which I'm one, show their ignorance for what is happening in their area.
Many that have lived in Farmingdale and still do like you Crabman also realize that from 1987-2018, one out of every three trains originated or terminated at Farmingdale. Now that the Double-Track Project is over, all those trains now go all the way to Ronkonkoma. Although, like before trains still originate and terminate at Farmingdale because it is a major hub. It's near Republic Airport, and it is on the Nassau/Suffolk border along with Huntington and Amityville (two other stations that see a high volume of customers, and more train stops than other stations on their respective branches).