Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1515453  by Safetee

i'm guessing that the steaming tender could be purchased and rehabbed for a lot less than the far far uglier springfield station.
 #1515580  by jonnhrr

Safetee wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm i'm guessing that the steaming tender could be purchased and rehabbed for a lot less than the far far uglier springfield station.
Good luck persuading the owners to move their railroad themed restaurant elsewhere after they spent a ton of money rehabbing the place.
 #1515614  by Safetee

well given the fact that my self imposed palmer station cap will not exceed 74 million, i have to believe that a deal could be worked out with the owner and still have oodles of buckos left over to make the place fully compliant, handicapped accessible etc, and what the heck the ex owner can keep the restaurant going if they like, given the fact that in five years the lake shore dining experience will be down to day old pbjs and 2 % milk.
 #1515622  by Ken W2KB

jonnhrr wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 am
Safetee wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm i'm guessing that the steaming tender could be purchased and rehabbed for a lot less than the far far uglier springfield station.
Good luck persuading the owners to move their railroad themed restaurant elsewhere after they spent a ton of money rehabbing the place.
If they refuse to sell at a reasonable price Amtrak can acquire it by exercise of its federal eminent domain authority. The applicable statute reads as follows:
"(a)General Authority.—
(1) To the extent financial resources are available, Amtrak may acquire by eminent domain under subsection (b) of this section interests in property—
(A) necessary for intercity rail passenger transportation, except property of a rail carrier, a State, a political subdivision of a State, or a governmental authority; or
(B) requested by the Secretary of Transportation in carrying out the Secretary’s duty to design and build an intermodal transportation terminal at Union Station in the District of Columbia if the Secretary assures Amtrak that the Secretary will reimburse Amtrak.
(2)Amtrak may exercise the power of eminent domain only if it cannot—
(A) acquire the interest in the property by contract; or
(B) agree with the owner on the purchase price for the interest."
 #1515623  by CHTT1

Wouldn't it be simpler just to build a small new station? Why close a going business just to get ahold of an old building that probably has all kinds of problems?
 #1515626  by mtuandrew

There’s certainly more room on that plot of land for a small shelter (separate or attached) and a platform on the B&A, as well as Amtrak or MBTA parking. No need to eminent domain the property, and Amtrak would have a hard time convincing a judge under A-1-(a) of that statute that they need to reuse that station versus building a new one next door.
 #1515638  by Safetee

the beauty of the palmer station is that it is in fact a beautiful extremely well built historic structure and if the mass to new london service ever actually happens, it could kill two birds with one stone.
 #1515668  by Rockingham Racer

Safetee wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pm the beauty of the palmer station is that it is in fact a beautiful extremely well built historic structure and if the mass to new london service ever actually happens, it could kill two birds with one stone.
I believe that proposal was to use the P&W line between Worcester and New London, the former State of Maine Express route. There is no proper connection at Palmer to be able to run a train down to New London on the NECR without doing a reverse move at Palmer.
 #1515671  by Safetee

i borrowed the following from the Palmer passenger rail advocacy page.

"Palmer is also on the Central Corridor Rail Line, running from New London, Connecticut to Brattleboro, Vermont. Restored passenger service on the Central Corridor would connect students at both the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and at the University of Connecticut in Storrs to east-west trains through Palmer."
 #1515716  by Greg Moore

Incidentally, the other day Amtrak Marketing posted a link to a blog comment on Facebook promoting the Lake Shore Limited:
https://www.facebook.com/Amtrak/posts/10157285446564014

Let's just say they got savaged (and not just by me.)

No one likes the diner option.
 #1517314  by aednichols

Business class on 448/449 has disappeared from the booking system after October 1. Anyone know what the deal is?
 #1517319  by gokeefe

Sounds like redeployment elsewhere ... Is this normally a full length Amfleet (not 1/2 seats and 1/2 lounge-cafe)?
 #1517320  by aednichols

No, it is normally a half-café.

Replacing it with a full café actually makes sense between Chicago and Albany now that it’s the only option for coach passengers.
 #1517322  by gokeefe

Wow, imagine that ... a service improvement through service reduction.
 #1517325  by aednichols

On my usual BOS/SYR route I always took the $25 b/c upgrade, it was an excellent value. Used the free alcoholic beverage to score an otherwise $14 half-bottle of wine.