Railroad Forums 

• Service Disruption - Montauk Branch

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1509728  by Liquidcamphor

MARGE I'm giving you the opportunity to think about what you wrote and either delete the post or clean it up. This is an active thread and the Admins are going to wind up locking it. Will you do this please?
 #1509763  by DutchRailnut

the dead head train was Cannonball so 12 cars 2 engines . other train don't know.
 #1509787  by Liquidcamphor

Marge thank you for the response and its deleted. The Admins have a zero tolerance policy for racially charged comments but i'd prefer to leave it to the adults on here to police themselves. Im editing my post to delete the quotation and suggest that others on here consider the same. Its up to you guys.

So now, if we can get back to the derailment?
 #1509837  by edflyerssn007

I read elsewhere that they just straight rail repaired at Speonk and bypassed the switches. Do you think they'll take the opportunity to lengthen the siding so as to avoid this happening in the future?
 #1509851  by Backshophoss

That must be a "Quick Fix" to get the Hamptons crowds home for work.figure on an "outage" to replace the busted Switch(s) during this week.
Not sure if yard track 1 is long enough for a "Cannonball" consist to clear up on.
NY&A uses a Controlled siding south of the Montauk ML at CP SK 2,good for up to 20 freight cars.
 #1509885  by EuroStar

edflyerssn007 wrote:I read elsewhere that they just straight rail repaired at Speonk and bypassed the switches. Do you think they'll take the opportunity to lengthen the siding so as to avoid this happening in the future?
The news reports seem to imply that the work train was in the siding and the eastbound passenger train sideswept it when passing on the main. This seems more like a failure to clear the switch than too long of a train on the siding.
 #1509890  by DutchRailnut

if train was not in clear, how did train on main get signal????