Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1507839  by LINYARailfan

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I have a few trips planned to Nassau County these next few months primarily to get the M3s running before they retire. It's possible that I might make a trip back to Mineola or another place along between Floral Park and Hicksville. When will the tower be moved or demolished?

That would be great if they made Nassau Tower into a museum. It seems like it is a good historical piece. The tower should go to some museum.
The tower will be moved or demolished as soon as they close the main street crossing to vehicular traffic and one 3TC starts dropping the rail for the construction of the third track. This is scheduled to occur between the winter 2021- summer 2022 according to the LIRR expansion project website. Who knows if the website is as accurate as it says it is. Only time will tell.
 #1507877  by PlaneLoverA380

This morning I saw some Save Nassau Tower signs. :-D My mom’s friend also knows somebody who wants to start a museum with Nassau Tower and a retired M3.
 #1507932  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Here is the questions that I will ask concerning Nassau Tower - Is the building stable enough in
which it actually can be moved? Has anyone interested seen the condition inside the tower?

Example: PD Tower (Patchogue) could not be moved because of its condition and ended up
being demolished after it closed.

We don't want to see something like what happened with the East Williston Station building.
A use of some type could not be found - and during removal the building fell apart meaning
that it could not have been moved even if a new site was available.

Can the "artifacts" of Nassau Tower (the model board, control levers, etc.) be preserved
historically for a future museum display? MACTRAXX
 #1508013  by Backshophoss

Have heard that the building is in rough shape structure wise,having been upgraded signal equipment installed as the old gear was still in use.
There may or may not some of the old "armstrong" equipment still there,other old computer gear abandoned in place as well.
PD had the same problem of many signal upgrades that made "hash" of the building's internal structure.
Nassau's internal structure might just as bad as PD was at the time of tear down.
 #1508047  by daybeers

I know the MTA and its management/politicians are far from perfect, but I have to say, the MTA and the rest of the NYDOT is killin' the marketing game. From the outside, it seems like they're investing in expansion projects and they're moving along rather quickly. I know the Second Avenue Subway was and always will be a complete boondoggle and a picture-perfect example of how not to handle a project, but look at the Tappan Zee. Working great, and it finished in an acceptable timeline and budget from estimations.
 #1508269  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The Cherry Lane bridge replacement at Carle Place is scheduled for the weekend of June 1-2:
http://www.amodernli.com/significant-pr ... t-project/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1509135  by EuroStar

daybeers wrote:I know the MTA and its management/politicians are far from perfect, but I have to say, the MTA and the rest of the NYDOT is killin' the marketing game. From the outside, it seems like they're investing in expansion projects and they're moving along rather quickly. I know the Second Avenue Subway was and always will be a complete boondoggle and a picture-perfect example of how not to handle a project, but look at the Tappan Zee. Working great, and it finished in an acceptable timeline and budget from estimations.
The execution of this project (and the Tappan Zee for that matter) has nothing to do with the usual MTA and NYDOT crap due to the personal involvement of the Governor. While I am not a big fan of the Governor, the reality is that when he is invested in a project, then that project has gone much better than average. If he is not involved, the old "slow and steady" prevails. The fact that his was a design-build contract certainly helps, but the major difference is that Cuomo is invested in this project.
 #1509315  by rr503

Governor's acceleration actually has had some really negative long term effects. He killed the transit provision, escalated costs, and put the screws to the contractor in a way that was frankly a bit dangerous.

https://archpaper.com/2018/09/mario-m-c ... ntroversy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.politico.com/states/new-yor ... get-317750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1509556  by JCGUY

Cuomo's focus got the bridge done in the only practical realistic way possible. Had it not been for Cuomo, I would not have been surprised if the old Tappan Zee would be taken out of service entirely due to structural concerns. This exact scenario played out for the Crown point Bridge over southern Lake Champlain. A replacement was studied to death for years and nothing actually done until the engineers declared the bridge unsafe and closed it. Cuomo has been the best NYS governor for infrastructure in my lifetime. That's a low bar to clear, but his record is unlikely to be surpassed ever if the people coming up after him are any indication.
 #1509573  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Back to topic:

The Cherry Lane bridge replacement at Carle Place is scheduled for the weekend of June 1-2:
http://www.amodernli.com/significant-pr ... t-project/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Update May 24: The LIRR has posted information and schedules relating to the Cherry Lane
Bridge Project - all lines will have special timetables for the weekend:

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/c ... lation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma Branches will be directly affected by this program.
The railroad is suggesting riders try to avoid using these two branches if at all possible.

Port Jefferson Branch trains will operate every two hours between Hicksville and Port Jefferson
and hourly between Hicksville and Huntington.

Ronkonkoma Branch trains operate hourly between Hicksville and Ronkonkoma and will not
stop at Bethpage in either direction.

Diesel shuttle trains will operate between Hicksville and Babylon via the Central Branch. These
trains will stop at Bethpage in each direction. From an LIRR ETT the distance between Hicksville
and Babylon is 11 miles one way. Hicksville is 24.8 miles from LI City; Bethpage is 27.9; B Tower
is 28.6 and Babylon is at 35.8 for the record.

Babylon Branch will have enhanced schedules with many express or limited stop trains added for
the weekend to accommodate the added ridership that is anticipated.

From Mineola west trains will operate hourly to Mineola from Penn Station and Oyster Bay Branch
trains will operate every two hours.

There will be no "bus bridge" between Hicksville and Mineola. Westbury and Carle Place will only
have the NICE N22 and N24 weekend service. The N22 will be rerouted since its regular route is
thru Carle Place on Cherry Lane.

This will be a busy weekend for the LIRR and hope all goes well according to plan...MACTRAXX
 #1510323  by PlaneLoverA380

Driving by the East Williston station today, I saw an M7 sitting there! My friend who also lives by the station saw the M7s all day there. So it looks like that’s where they’re turning around.
 #1510370  by Norton

Just got back from Mineola. The following track cars are staged just east of Nassau tower, ready to move in when the new Cherry Lane bridge is up:
TC 034, 822, 825, 827, 816, 033
 #1510375  by newkirk

Unlike the Post Ave. bridge replacement where the old bridge was move the parking lot and dismantled, the Cherry Lane bridge was dismantled in the street. was