Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1506398  by MACTRAXX

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:The F40PH model was factory painted that way by Life-Like, along with the BN E9 scheme. Looks like they were trying to cover all the Chicago commuter lines with the closest model they had. I imagine not many Nortran models were sold outside their territory.
http://tycotrain.tripod.com/lifelikemod ... /id20.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also two semi-separate agencies split the F40C order. The North and Northwest Suburban Mass Transit Districts.
F40C: Thanks for the Life-Like link to the F40 page. Interesting road names and color schemes.
I will mention each F40 photo:

1-Amtrak 229 in its as-delivered color scheme. The beginning of a more then 200 strong fleet.
The best color scheme was the equal parts striping that would follow which would be Amtrak's
image of the 1980s.
2-BN 9937 in the E8/9 color scheme. This could be a prototype for a Metra BN Heritage unit.
3-Caltrain 80s color scheme. The "red dot" scheme to follow was and is better.
4-Canadian National color scheme. VIA could have been used on the front end similar to the
original color scheme that had both CN and VIA on locomotives.
5-GO Transit 513. Accurate original scheme. There were only six of these (numbered 510-515)
which were eventually sold to Amtrak (renumbered 410-415) in the late 1980s.
6-MBTA 1004 in original color scheme. Their original F40s saw many years of service.
7-Metra F40 (number unreadable) "Kane County": Simple 80s bright visible color scheme.
8-NJT 4116: Good early NJT color scheme. Their F40s were the first new units that NJT bought
for service after the agency was created.
9-Nortran #53. This scheme could have used a large Nortran logo on the hood otherwise it is
just too plain. I agree that there is something lacking here.
10-Rock Island "Rock" 3105 - Good color scheme using Rock Island's last image. This again
could have been a prototype for a RI heritage unit. The red and yellow were better colors...
11-RTA #101. Arguably one of the best F40 color schemes. These colors are what a RTA
Heritage locomotive should have. The #100 should have gotten its original colors permanently.
12-Santa Fe Warbonnet: One of the classic color schemes for any railroad. This is what ATSF
F40s would have looked like if they continued to run passenger trains further into the 70s.
The 90s revival of this color scheme on all locomotives reminded many how good it was.
13-Union Pacific "We Can Handle It" scheme. Good colors had UP bought F40s for their
business train back in the 80s.
14-Prototype picture of Amtrak #210 in its as-delivered color scheme. The scanner code block
and the numberboards help identify this photo. These always looked good...

Going back to topic: An RTA Heritage unit permanently in RTA colors as #100 should have been
would be one way of reminding today's Metra enthusiasts and riders what they originally were
under RTA as they made improvements in the late 1970s/early 1980s and how they evolved to
form Metra. Keeping one unit in the original Metra color scheme adding the caption "Metropolitan
Rail" should also be considered.

MACTRAXX
 #1506527  by Tadman

I remember seeing those F40's in toy stores as a kid and being very curious as to why anybody would want one in armour yellow or warbonnet red/silver. Usually it was part of a larger set that included a boxcar, caboose, track, etc... in a shrinkwrapped box. My best guess is that they were bought by parents/relatives as gifts for children that didn't know the difference
 #1506572  by John_Perkowski

MACTRAXX wrote: 12-Santa Fe Warbonnet: One of the classic color schemes for any railroad. This is what ATSF
F40s would have looked like if they continued to run passenger trains further into the 70s.
I can show you precisely what an F40 in Warbonnet true Passenger would look like, because the ATSF had FP45s in Warbonnet hauling passengers up to A-Day...
Attachments:
DD2577D6-5825-4942-9D0F-3A18F30B7662.jpeg
DD2577D6-5825-4942-9D0F-3A18F30B7662.jpeg (851.72 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
 #1506649  by MetraBNSF

F40PH-2 173 was repainted into the new scheme and has Operation Lifesaver logos on both sides near the rear of the unit. If memory serves correct I believe Progress Rail is rehabbing all of the Winnebagos and a small number of F40PH-2s. Thinking is since F40PHM-2 205 was scrapped, Metra sent down an alternative locomotive for rehab. Can’t say this is true but it is possible.
 #1507072  by F40CFan

Road downtown last Thursday (4/25) and noticed that 611 had been moved. On the way home, I saw 215 had been parked by 614. No sign of 611 anywhere that I could see.
 #1507099  by DT662000

In light of all of the new motive power Metra seems to be acquiring, are 611 & 614 still supposed to be rebuilt? I haven't heard anything on that front in some time (though I haven't been following it all that closely, truth be told).
 #1507639  by F40CFan

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:I think what happened is that Metra announced a request for proposals for 611 and 614 and they got no proposals from any qualified bidders.
I heard that also, but I wonder where it went. The last time it got a cosmetic treatment for the TRAINS magazine Metra locomotive spread.
 #1507640  by GojiMet86

jt42cwr wrote:
GojiMet86 wrote:Is there a list of the "new" ex-Amtrak locomotives and their former road numbers under Amtrak?
450 is 73, keep adding one until you reach 470 and 93
Will do. Guess they are all renumbered consecutively and not out of order, something common in the bus world.
 #1507651  by jt42cwr

GojiMet86 wrote:Will do. Guess they are all renumbered consecutively and not out of order, something common in the bus world.
Correct.

The most illogical renumbering ever was the NJT GP40PH-2s, renumbered from the series 4100-4112 into the series 4100-4112,with only 4101 keeping it's original identity!
 #1507900  by MetraBNSF

Rode a UP-NW train over the weekend that was pulled by 173. That is the F40PH that got new livery and Operation Lifesaver Logos, but unsure if it was shipped down to Progress Rail and rebuilt. This unit will be worth studying for a while.