Railroad Forums 

• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1503043  by gregorygrice

csx8851 wrote:Does anyone know how often or when NYA comes from FP to switch the new siding? I would like to catch some action there sometime as I live close by.
NYA isn't interchanging from there at the moment. Once they do it will only be "as needed" since that track is for overflow and P&W outlaw.
 #1505422  by DogBert

Spotted something odd yesterday morning around 10am while driving up the BQE:

There appeared to be a full csx train in the siding at roosevelt ave. North of that, there were 3 locomotives on the BQE overpass with a single boxcar behind, and north of that (over roughly 31st ave), a CSX hi-railer parked with employees walking towards the locomotives.

No idea what this was about. Minor derailment? testing the new siding out? why the single boxcar with the locomotives?
 #1505457  by AlKaLI

Hello Dogbert,
Wish I had an answer. Just want to add that when my LIRR train passed under the NY Connecting on Monday @ 7:00 AM, there was a full string of COFC flats with green containers. They stretched from past Queens Blvd over the LIRR on the new siding. They were still there on Tuesday morning same time but gone by Tuesday evening.

From gregoryrice, they are using the new siding as storage. Perhaps a jam-up?
 #1505471  by Backshophoss

At best,CSX is doing spot track repairs,does anybody remember if CR did any gauge tie work on the Bay Ridge Sec before the "break up" split?
 #1505491  by DogBert

The north end of that train just past roosevelt was also green MSW containers. Maybe they had a bit of an overflow of those. NY&A has been storing some of the USWX flat cars empty (no containers) along the lower montauk through Maspeth.
 #1506469  by csx8851

On Friday around 6:15pm, I saw a CSX freight heading towards FP pulling up on the new siding. The crew came to a stop and dumped the air. At around 6:30, I noticed 3 units heading back up north light to OP on the main line.
 #1506766  by AlKaLI

The new siding is getting a work-out. Monday there were COFC flats with green containers. Tuesday afternoon and this morning at 7:00 AM, different cars were there - a mix of boxcars, covered hoppers, tankcar and a loaded centerbeam flat. Looks like CSXT dumps their train (and runs?) leaving NY&A to get the inbound cars. I assume CSXT then picks up their outbound cars.
 #1507139  by DogBert

Haven't confirmed this but I'm guessing they drop the cars on the siding, go light to fremont, tie straight onto the head end of whatever is outbound, and head back north/west. That frees up an entire track at fremont for actual yard work (instead of just run-arounds).
 #1507145  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:Haven't confirmed this but I'm guessing they drop the cars on the siding, go light to fremont, tie straight onto the head end of whatever is outbound, and head back north/west. That frees up an entire track at fremont for actual yard work (instead of just run-arounds).

That or vice versa; outbound to the siding, inbound delivered to 5 or 6 Main at NYA.

During prime situations, the outbound is dropped off in the siding early AM before sunrise, CSX picks it up then midday another CSX crew drops off the inbound and NYA picks it up when convenient.
 #1507305  by AlKaLI

New siding and again something new. 4-30-19 7:00 AM. Over the LIRR main, loaded CDEX Gons rolling north/west on the siding towards Oak Point being met by a south/eastbound CSXT freight also moving. CSXT was led by SD40-2/GP38-2 plus more but couldn't see through the murk. Train had boxcars and covered hoppers up front. First time to see trains moving on both tracks.
 #1507322  by gregorygrice

AlKaLI wrote:New siding and again something new. 4-30-19 7:00 AM. Over the LIRR main, loaded CDEX Gons rolling north/west on the siding towards Oak Point being met by a south/eastbound CSXT freight also moving. CSXT was led by SD40-2/GP38-2 plus more but couldn't see through the murk. Train had boxcars and covered hoppers up front. First time to see trains moving on both tracks.

NYA dropping putbound in the siding, CSX bringing inbound to Fresh Pond.
 #1507330  by AlKaLI

gregorygrice wrote:NYA dropping putbound in the siding, CSX bringing inbound to Fresh Pond.
Thanks Gregory! With both trains in motion, that's what I thought.
 #1507394  by rb

How long is the extended siding? Where does it start/end?

Very curious. I remember watching Conrail trains pass through Jackson Heights in the mid-90s when trains were regularly 15-20 cars long.
 #1507403  by Backshophoss

The ROW is at least 4-5 tracks wide at Fremont/Fresh Pond, upstairs,that new siding is about 1 mile long headed east. used as overflow and a
Layup track for "Dead on Law" P&W stone trains,their power kept close to NY&A's Engine house.downstairs in Fresh Pond yard.
The LIRR/NY&A Fresh Pond yard is not that large,the old Yard "A" next to Amtrak's Sunnyside Yard was the LIRR's largest freight yard,till
the late '90's went the freight service was contracted out to NY&A.
Yard "A" has been taken over by the ESA project and is to be used as a Layup Yard for the GCT service trains.