Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1504750  by PlaneLoverA380

This train IS going westbound. Saw this at Mineola on Friday. This set went out to Huntington about an hour earlier, came just as I was leaving? Did the crew forget to set the markers?
Attachments:
F04059A5-F212-4B2F-A1C4-AC76E5726076.jpeg
F04059A5-F212-4B2F-A1C4-AC76E5726076.jpeg (1020.54 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
 #1504752  by DutchRailnut

ahhh you noticed , lets file it under "sh*t happens "
 #1504796  by BuddR32

Could be they forgot to put the markers on, as Dutch said. Shit happens.

Could be it had defective marker lights and rolled with the rearward facing headlight on in lieu. It’s allowed by CFR
 #1504801  by Absolute-Limited Advance-Approach

BuddR32 wrote:Could be they forgot to put the markers on, as Dutch said. * happens.

Could be it had defective marker lights and rolled with the rearward facing headlight on in lieu. It’s allowed by CFR
Actually come to think of it, I was following an M3 recently in the same condition, so that was probably the cause. I doubt the crew made the same mistake over several days.
 #1504817  by Liquidcamphor

PlaneLoverA380 do you believe that your mocking advertisement is appropriate? You need to consider taking it down because it is offensive to employees and not very funny. I can do it myself as moderator and have been by asked by several forum members to take it down but am asking YOU to rethink what you posted.
 #1504823  by BuddR32

Liquidcamphor wrote:PlaneLoverA380 do you believe that your mocking advertisement is appropriate? You need to consider taking it down because it is offensive to employees and not very funny. I can do it myself as moderator and have been by asked by several forum members to take it down but am asking YOU to rethink what you posted.
I didn't even notice the 'advertisement' because I posted my reply from my phone. Had I noticed, I wouldn't have offered a legitimate reply. The railroad (and any large operation) provides an abundance of material for mockery, however, mocking something as simple as forgetting to put on marker lights, (if it was even forgetful) is scraping the bottom. The lazy comment is uncalled for. The whole post on a forum that is to provide information, and intelligent conversation among those in and interested in the rail industry is inappropriate. If you wish to get insightful replies in future posts, leave the satire on facebook or twitter.

As for the weak M7s, as much a fan of the M3s I am, the construction of the M7 is far superior to the M3. The Had the two recent major wrecks been M3s, I'm almost certain there would have been fatalities.

As for the weird subway style cars. Its well known that the design of the original LI Metropolitans set the design standard of all subsequent classes of NY subway & commuter rail cars for the next 25 years. Check your history, or ask the lazy employees that have pride in their profession.
 #1504833  by PlaneLoverA380

Liquidcamphor I removed it. Thank you for letting me know. Sorry about that.
 #1504844  by PlaneLoverA380

BuddR32 wrote:Could be they forgot to put the markers on, as Dutch said. * happens.

One time I saw a C3 set running westbound. On the rear DM, both the headlights and markers were on. Is this just forgetful, or a procedure as BuddR32 said.
 #1504873  by ConstanceR46

No railcar without tank armor could take a concrete slab to the front. If anything the fact it didn't kill anyone helps show how well the M7s are built.
 #1504874  by DutchRailnut

dude what has that comment have to do with topic on hand ??
 #1504880  by ExCon90

At one time (how long ago?) westbound trains not stopping at Jamaica displayed red markers on the head end in addition to the headlights; later, the practice was used to denote trains that were short cars, as a heads-up to commuters who normally waited towards the ends of platforms to ride the head- or rear-end cars. Is any of that still done?
 #1504886  by Liquidcamphor

No railcar without tank armor could take a concrete slab to the front. If anything the fact it didn't kill anyone helps show how well the M7s are built.
ConstanceR46 please try to stay on topic otherwise it distracts from the discussion in the thread. By the way, I agree with what you wrote.