SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Branch

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

glennk419
Posts: 3057
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: Southeastern PA & Cape May County, NJ

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Bra

Post by glennk419 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:24 am

It's being reported that Bieber Bus Lines has shut down leaving Lehigh Valley commuters with no public means of getting into Philadelphia. It's too bad that the railroad isn't still there to fill that void.
Glenn

Maverickstation1
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 am

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Bra

Post by Maverickstation1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:29 am

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken

ADMIN: added fair-use quote per forum policy
...
On Friday, many riders were left stranded when the company announced an immediate but temporary shut down, which was followed a few hours later with a notice that it had closed for good. Among those caught off-guard were Easton Area Middle School students on a Blue Mouintain ski trip Friday.
...

mcgrath618
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Bra

Post by mcgrath618 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Allegedly funds have been allocated towards a feasibility study of returning to Quakertown... probably won't go far though. And that's coming from someone who thinks that the return to Phoenixville has a chance.

glennk419
Posts: 3057
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: Southeastern PA & Cape May County, NJ

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Bra

Post by glennk419 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:50 pm

mcgrath618 wrote:Allegedly funds have been allocated towards a feasibility study of returning to Quakertown... probably won't go far though. And that's coming from someone who thinks that the return to Phoenixville has a chance.
The proposed park-n-ride in Shelly would have been an excellent solution.
Glenn

JeffK
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:05 pm
Location: Western suburbs

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Bra

Post by JeffK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:02 pm

glennk419 wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:Allegedly funds have been allocated towards a feasibility study of returning to Quakertown... probably won't go far though. And that's coming from someone who thinks that the return to Phoenixville has a chance.
The proposed park-n-ride in Shelly would have been an excellent solution.
AFAIK the ROW above Shelly has been severed. If that memory is correct, full restoration to the Allentown area is highly unlikely. But yes a park-n-ride at Shelly would be a good option.
Requiem for it's/its, your/you're, than/then, less/fewer. They were once such nice words with such different meanings...

glennk419
Posts: 3057
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: Southeastern PA & Cape May County, NJ

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Bra

Post by glennk419 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:31 pm

I know that the rails have been pulled at least to Coopersburg and possibly as far south as California Road. Certainly anything above Lansdale would require an almost full rebuild anyway for commuter service. I believe the only place where the ROW was severed was at the Lutron facility when they built their driveway over the ROW, allegedly illegally. That could easily be rectified if the railroad were ever restored.
Glenn

JeffK
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:05 pm
Location: Western suburbs

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Bra

Post by JeffK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 pm

glennk419 wrote:I believe the only place where the ROW was severed was at the Lutron facility when they built their driveway over the ROW, allegedly illegally. That could easily be rectified if the railroad were ever restored.
Thanks, Glenn. A bit of welding in my brain gaps is always welcome :P
Requiem for it's/its, your/you're, than/then, less/fewer. They were once such nice words with such different meanings...

lvlocal
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:04 am

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Branch

Post by lvlocal » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:03 pm

The Lehigh Valley Planning Commission's Long Range Transportation Plan is open for public comment until September 23. Of course, the draft doesn't mention passenger rail at all. Might be a good opportunity to tell these folks that rail transit should be in Bethlehem's future: https://www.lvpc.org/futurelv.html

Train60
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm
Location: New England

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Branch

Post by Train60 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 am

If people want passenger rail to Bethlehem now is the time to speak up en masse in support of rail. If this project doesn't get listed in the the Regional Long Term Transportation Plan then odds are very small that the project will move forward. It's my understanding that federal dollars cannot be used for transportation projects that are not in the Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP) of the Regional Long Term Transportation Plan, and most states won't fund rail projects without significant federal dollars.

rcthompson04
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 am

Re: SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Branch

Post by rcthompson04 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 am

Train60 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 am
If people want passenger rail to Bethlehem now is the time to speak up en masse in support of rail. If this project doesn't get listed in the the Regional Long Term Transportation Plan then odds are very small that the project will move forward. It's my understanding that federal dollars cannot be used for transportation projects that are not in the Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP) of the Regional Long Term Transportation Plan, and most states won't fund rail projects without significant federal dollars.
I think getting anything north of Quakertown is unlikely, which is probably 3rd on the list of restoration targets (with Phoenixville and West Chester ahead of it).

Return to “SEPTA (and PATCO)”