Railroad Forums 

• North Adams - Boston Passenger Service Study

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1498365  by Jeff Smith

https://www.recorder.com/New-State-Sena ... n-23022144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn’t see mention of BSRM.

Topic on MassDOT purchase: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=160407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comerford proposes bill to study rail service from North Adams to Boston
Newly elected state Sen. Jo Comerford, D-Northampton, has proposed a bill to study the feasibility of rail service from North Adams to Boston.

“The idea and the urging came really from the grassroots during my campaign,” Comerford, who represents the Franklin, Worcester and Hampshire District, said in a phone interview this week.

There is no passenger rail service connecting North Adams to Boston at the moment, but a freight service currently operates along much of that line, according to the Mass. Department of Transportation’s State Rail Plan released last year.
 #1498374  by Traingeek3629

It's a nice idea, but I'd have to say this is pie-in-the-sky. Nobody would commute to Boston from west of Springfield unless there was a high-speed train that could make Springfield-Boston in under an hour.

For now, I think it would be much better to focus on getting service to Nashua and eventually Manchester, and adding a couple trains to Springfield.
 #1498401  by Safetee

I think that greenfield would be an excellent east west connector for vermont and western mass folks who want to get to north station with its access to downeast and north shore destinations as well as cambridge, mass general, and the garden. as far as north adams is concerned it would be at least initially be worth a shuttle bus service connecting to Greenfield for a boston train or the knowledge corridor.
 #1498424  by MBTA3247

If you're going out all the way to North Adams, you might as well bring New York into the mix and send trains all the way to Albany. I imagine that North Adams is more economically connected to there than it is to Boston, and that also gives you an inland route between NYC and Boston.
 #1498426  by Backshophoss

Good luck getting CSX and PAR to allow this run. North Adams was NYC and had connections with Harlem line trains at Chatham to NY City.
Better off bringing back the Inland route trains to Boston!
 #1498429  by johnpbarlow

I think Pan Am would love this idea! What better way for PAS / District 3 to get its sorry track (west of Westminster CPF-335) rehabbed and upgraded to 40mph MAS for freight is there? Pan Am can say they don't like the proposal but that would just be a negotiating tactic to get a few more sidings as well as heavier rail installed, and PTC gear outfitted on additional locomotives all paid for by ever generous MassDOT. Plus maybe Pan Am could get the Boston - N Adams upgrade extended a few more miles to Williamstown. Oh, and get MassDOT to pay for (or at least make substantial $ contribution to) enlarging Hoosac Tunnel to full domestic double stack clearances. I think NS would endorse this idea, too. :wink:
 #1498486  by Aerie

When I was a little kid, growing up in Somerville, I remember that the Cambridge B&M station (at Porter Sq.) had a sign touting the Minuteman to Chicago! The train hadn't operated for years, but there was still a sign.
 #1498635  by newpylong

Backshophoss wrote:Good luck getting CSX and PAR to allow this run. North Adams was NYC and had connections with Harlem line trains at Chatham to NY City.
Better off bringing back the Inland route trains to Boston!
This would likely be on the B&M the whole way, not CSX.
 #1498708  by jaymac

Unless James Earl Jones does a "Build It and They Will Come" voiceover that hypnotizes the Great and General Court into showering money on the PAS part of the FML, this -- to use technical phrasing -- ain't gonna happen. The Honorable Gentleman will be able to tell his constituents that he tried and also be able to blame the failure on others.
Even with double track and 60 gravel/70 stone mph MAS in The Minuteman days, it was a 3+ hour trip one-way. Where is the supporting population density or points of interest to cause people to consume almost 1 full work-day for a round-trip on someone else's schedule?
If the rep wants to help his district, mebbe money for double-stacking the tunnel so the FML because more of a serious competitor.