Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1497456  by daybeers

Jenny on a M2 wrote:
daybeers wrote:
Jenny on a M2 wrote: That said, it sure doesn't help out the college kids with the U-Pass. And, before we heap on them with "they're getting a free ride so they can suck it and wait", I'm pretty sure there's a mandatory fee for the U-Pass in their tuition so they still ARE paying customers.
Yes, I am one of those college kids. It's a $20 fee on the tuition each semester, which isn't much, but if the whole point is to get more people to use the trains, and their first experience is being left on the platform, it would be remarkable for the average person to try using the service again.
I agree with you 100%. $20 isn't much but you do expect to get some utility out of that, much of which is the ability to work/study on the train vs having to focus on driving to class each day.

You're not getting that if you're freezing on a platform somewhere missing class you've paid for.
Right, and after someone gets left on the platform once, I doubt they'll have much of a pull to give the train a shot again.
 #1497777  by shadyjay

Looks like those wayside horns I questioned about a few weeks ago have just gone into service:

https://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=1373&Q=607338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The horns were put into service on Monday, January 21, 2019, at the Cooper Street crossing, located between Cherry Street and South Colony Street in Meriden. In the coming weeks, wayside horns will be installed at the Pent Highway railroad crossing, located between North Plains Industrial Road and North Colony Road in Wallingford. CTDOT plans to continue the installation of wayside horns at grade crossings along the Hartford Line Rail to reduce noise.

Also, more browsing on the ConnDOT site reveals some upcoming "north end" construction:

Windsor - Temporary High Level Platform - Scope Code "F" ($2.5-5,000,000) - Advertising date 8/14/2019
Windsor Locks station - Facility Construction - Scope Code "M" ($40-60,000,000) - Advertising date 12/11/2019

Odd that they're spending that kind of money for a temporary high level platform, given that the eventual plan is to move the "station" south of the grade crossing and build a parking garage. Then again, maybe this is just a temporary solution, construct high level platforms on either side of the tracks and use the grade crossing as the crossing point, a la New London. As for Windsor Locks, that's a lot of cash for a station, which leads me to believe they may be relocating it to the original site north of "downtown" adjacent to the historic station. That site would need improvements from the ground up (parking), not to mention high level platforms and an up & over. The existing South Main St. site would need those improvements as well, but there's already some existing infrastructure to work with (some, but not much). Pros and cons with both sites. Any thoughts on which one they're going with?
 #1497783  by gregorygrice

Only the one on Cooper St was reactivated Monday. I'm sure once the people complain how annoying it is again, I'm sure it'll be shut off again.

As for the platform, Im sure they had to put something in for ADA since they added the new platform. Because that platform is new, I believe it has to comply with current ADA standards. The older platforms are probably grandfathered by old rules.
 #1497892  by gregorygrice

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Wasn't Pent Highway the original pilot for wayside horns once upon a time which annoyed the natives?
I believe there were complaints on all of them. Very funny because the wayside horns play a very loud K5LA 14L sound file on loop the whole time the crossing is activated whether there's a train present or not. That must be awesome when CSO-1 is going by with a long train. What a waste.
 #1497939  by dha10001

My understanding is that the Windsor Locks station will be built near the historic station with a connection to the Montgomery Mills redevelopment project across the canal. I recall reading about a pedestrian bridge connecting the station to that building. That may explain the cost estimate. I believe the town has developed a TOD plan to redevelop their whole Main Street area around this new station, as well raised funds to restore the historic station building. That would all strongly indicate that the relocated station is the one moving forward.

2.5-5 million sure does sound like an extremely high amount for a temporary high platform! I hope that's not the case. After seeing what MNR built at the Devon transfer station, by all accounts a functional and attractive structure, I have to wonder if that approach could be rolled out again elsewhere in the state. For instance, at Wall Street on the Danbury Branch, or as part of future branch line extensions. Could be part of a "tactical transit" inspired approach to reducng start-up costs. Unless of course there are 1,000 pages of regulations explicitly forbidding that kind of thing.
 #1497978  by lordsigma12345

I would assume and hope, given the high cost, that this includes building the Windsor Locks station with a platform for the eventual second track which would become active when the second track is built.

Given this amount of money I think it’s fair to say that we can say goodbye to the free parking at this station. Would expect to see a similar setup to Berlin/Wallingford/Meriden.
 #1498018  by Kilo Echo

dha10001 wrote:My understanding is that the Windsor Locks station will be built near the historic station with a connection to the Montgomery Mills redevelopment project across the canal.
What became of the original plan to build the new platforms just a bit farther north—between the current platform and I-91? As I recall, there was also to be an airport shuttle bus.
 #1498070  by shadyjay

The original plan was to build them just slightly north of the existing platform. Then IIRC the town got involved and wanted a more "downtown" station. I don't recall an announcement saying the station is staying put or moving.

The existing location would be good for an airport shuttle, as its right next to the I-91 ramps, and does appear to have more parking space available. A plan I saw had a new lot on the west side of Rt 159 (where the I-91 NB Exit 42 ramps used to be, pre-1992) and a pedestrian bridge over the roadway, in addition to using (and expanding) the existing parking lot.

The downtown station gives you the advantage of a station building (after its restored), and a more downtown (ie - walkable) location. Its also at the southern end of the Suffield industrial track, which *could* in the future be extended right to the airport.
 #1501473  by scoostraw

gregorygrice wrote:
GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Wasn't Pent Highway the original pilot for wayside horns once upon a time which annoyed the natives?
I believe there were complaints on all of them. Very funny because the wayside horns play a very loud K5LA 14L sound file on loop the whole time the crossing is activated whether there's a train present or not. That must be awesome when CSO-1 is going by with a long train. What a waste.
HAHAHAHA no kidding.

Even I would hate hat.
 #1501474  by scoostraw

Speaking of platforms, I noticed that some of the platforms have gauntlet rails laid around them.

Am I correct in assuming that this is for MOW equipment only - and is temporary?