Railroad Forums 

• Thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1497053  by Mdente7

Hey everyone I’m thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering and was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what it’s like. Schedule/pay/vacation/difficulty. Any info would be great. I’m trying to get an engineeeing job in New York or philly. Any information would be great. Thank you!
 #1499240  by SlotCanyoneer

I’m assuming by engineering you’re referring to the track maintenance department? Wouldn’t that be kind of a lateral move or maybe worse? The reason being engineering department generally lays off during winter seasons. If you were to switch crafts from B&B to track maintenance you would be bottom man again and subject to being furloughed. Unless I’m missing something or maybe you live in a warmer climate where they don’t lay track guys off.
 #1508582  by Mdente7

Sorry for the late response. I’m looking to go to passenger engineer. So not a lateral move. I’m currently in B&B so I would need to switch unions. I’ve read some things about not having a set schedule for 10 years but I’m only 24, and don’t have a wife or kids so that’s not a big deal for me. I applied recently for pittsburgh and Raleigh but preferably I’d like to be in northeast corridor. Any information would be great.
 #1508636  by kilroy

NJ Transit is in need of locomotive engineers. They just graduated one class and I think they have three going now.

Not sure if/when there will be additional classes but you can check the NJT website for info. https://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet ... =CareersTo
 #1508684  by Mdente7

Thank you... but, I think I’d rather stay with Amtrak, I like the option of being able to go anywhere in the US. I’m just trying to figure out the pay, schedule, and vacation time. Any info known would be great. Also I recently heard you had to be a conductor to be an engineer. It’s the first I heard of it and just wanted to know if it was true.
 #1514315  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Mdente7 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:02 am Thank you... but, I think I’d rather stay with Amtrak, I like the option of being able to go anywhere in the US. I’m just trying to figure out the pay, schedule, and vacation time. Any info known would be great. Also I recently heard you had to be a conductor to be an engineer. It’s the first I heard of it and just wanted to know if it was true.
Engineers can't exercise their national seniority as easily as trainmen.

As for being on the extra board for almost 10 years is no more. Lately there have been some cases of newbies marking up onto regular jobs. It all depends on timing and locations, since the number of retirements will vary.