Railroad Forums 

• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2018

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1489393  by Otto Vondrak

airman00 wrote:This is disgraceful! Is the county completely unstoppable?
Yes, and yes. They are free to do whatever they wish with the property and materials they own.

-otto-
 #1491678  by eehiv

October 22, 24, 25, 26

Earl Pardini, John Marino, Bryan Van Kirk, Sam Cogan and Ryan Lennox did trackwork. They replaced 2 rails near the north pole, tightened joints and pulled spikes and plates west of MP 6.67.

October 26th

The CMRR ran first "RAILS OF TERROR" trains Friday evening. Train crew was John Marino, engineer, Tom Whyte, Conductor, and Art Vogel, brakeman. Tony Bocchino, Ken Harris, Sam Cogan and Russ Hallock were flaggers. Pat Smalley, Peter Fluchere and Marcia Roosa were ticket agents.

October 27th

Our Pumpkin Express ran on October 27th. Bryan Van Kirk was Engineer; Tony Bocchino was Conductor; Bill Kaba was brakeman; Russ Hallock, Peter Fluchere and Bruce Devorkin were were flaggers. Marcia Roosa and Pat Smalley were ticket agents.

In the evening, the CMRR ran its Rails of Terror. Bryan Van Kirk was Engineer, Tony Bocchino was conductor, Art Vogel was brakeman. Flaggers were Russ Hallock, Peter Fluchere and Joe Wolff. Pat Smalley and Marcia Roosa were ticket agents. Train was sold out.

October 28th

Our Pumpkin Express ran again on October 28th. John Marino was Engineer; Tony Bocchino was Conductor; Bryan Van Kirk was brakeman; Fred Ehren, Ken Harris, Peter Fluchere and Alex Sorenson were flaggers. Pat Smalley was ticket agents.

We had over 1300 riders this weekend.

Ernie Hunt
Staff/Volunteer Coordinator
 #1491962  by eehiv

October 31st

Track crew consisted of Earl Pardini, Bryan Van Kirk and Sam Cogan. They replaced bolts and joint bars.

November 1st

Charter: Engineer: Bryan Van Kirk, Conductor was Earl Pardini, Ed Winstanley was brakeman, Sam Cogan and Marjorie Van Kirk were flaggers.

November 3rd

Charter: Engineer: Bryan Van Kirk, Conductor was Karl Wick, Arthur Vogel was brakeman, Fred Ehren and Marjorie Van Kirk were flaggers.

Ernie Klopping and Martin Elbrecht worked on the generator in coach 2911.

November 6th

Bryan van Kirk and Sam Cogan did boltwork.

November 7th

Earl Pardini, Bryan Van Kirk and San Cogan did track and coach maintenance.

November 8th

Bryan Van Kirk and Sam Cogan serviced equipment.

November 9th and 10th

Earl Pardini, Bryan Van Kirk, Marjorie Van Kirk and Sam Cogan switched out the train and moved equipment. Bryan Van Kirk did maintenance work.

November 10th and 11th

Pat Smalley, Maria Roosa, Karen Vogel and Linda Marino got merchandise ready for Polar.

November 12th

Bryan Van Kirk, John Marino, Ryan Lennox and Sam Cogan installed 17 ties west of Washington Avenue.

November 14th

Earl Pardini, Bryan Van Kirk, Tom Whyte, Ryan Lennox and Sam Cogan installed four timbers in the O&W switch.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer/Staff Coordinator
CMRR
 #1491966  by eehiv

To all:

Our first weekend of Polar Express was a great success. We carried 2,941 passengers this weekend, more than the 2,866 carried last year.

Many thanks to our crews, including Earl Pardini, John and Linda Marino, Bryan and Marjorie Van Kirk, Karl Wick, Tony Bocchino, Neil and Kathy Isabelle, Art and Karin Vogel, Ernie Klopping and Pat Smalley, Marcia Roosa, Ryan Lennox, Sam Cogan, Jim Bruck, Peter Fluchere, Gary Lowe, Fred Ehren, Russ Hallock, Ken Harris, Alex Sorenson, Joe Wolff, Vince Guido, and of course Rob Gaston and his crew.

Ernie Hunt
Staff/Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
 #1493558  by eehiv

Nov 23, 24, 25

Our second weekend of Polar Express was a great success. We carried 3,579 passengers this weekend.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=247181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=247182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks to our crews, including Earl Pardini, John and Linda Marino, Bryan and Marjorie Van Kirk, Karl Wick, Tony Bocchino, Art and Karin Vogel, Ernie Klopping and Pat Smalley, Marcia Roosa, Ryan Lennox, Sam Cogan, Steve Stanton, Jim Bruck, Peter Fluchere, Russ Hallock, Ken Harris, Alex Sorenson, Joe Wolff, Martin Elbrecht, Vince Guido, and of course Rob Gaston and his crew.

Ernie Hunt
President
CMRR
 #1493559  by eehiv

November 30, December 1, 2.

Our third weekend of Polar Express was a great success. We carried 3,899 passengers this weekend.

Engine 401 was back in service, and in fact ran better than it has in years. Many thanks to Earl Pardini, Bryan Van Kirk, and John Marino who worked on the engine during the week.

Many thanks to our crews, including Earl Pardini, Dave Hilliard, John and Linda Marino, Bryan and Marjorie Van Kirk, Karl Wick, Tony Bocchino, Art and Karin Vogel, Ernie Klopping and Pat Smalley, Marcia Roosa, Fred Ehren, Ryan Lennox, Sam Cogan, Steve Stanton, Jim Bruck, Peter Fluchere, Russ Hallock, Ken Harris, Alex Sorenson, Joe Wolff, Martin Elbrecht, Vince Guido, and of course Rob Gaston and his crew.

Ernie Hunt
President
CMRR
 #1494877  by eehiv

December 7, 8 and 9:

Our fourth weekend of Polar Express was a great success. We carried 4,272 passengers this weekend on Polar and 98 on the Hanakkah Express.

Many thanks to Bryan VanKirk, Earl Pardini and Sam Cogan who worked on the 401 and the passenger cars during the week.

Many thanks to our crews, including Earl Pardini, Dave Hilliard, John and Linda Marino, Bryan and Marjorie Van Kirk, Karl Wick, Tony Bocchino, Art and Karin Vogel, Ernie Klopping and Pat Smalley, Marcia Roosa, Fred Ehren, Ryan Lennox, Sam Cogan, Steve Stanton, Jim Bruck, Peter Fluchere, Russ Hallock, Ken Harris, Alex Sorenson, Joe Wolff, Vince Guido, and of course Rob Gaston and his crew.

Ernie Hunt
President
CMRR
 #1494878  by eehiv

December 14, 15 and 15

Our fifth weekend of Polar Express was a great success. We carried 4,219 passengers this weekend on Polar.

Many thanks to our crews, including Earl Pardini, Dave Hilliard, John and Linda Marino, Bryan and Marjorie Van Kirk, Tony Bocchino, Art and Karin Vogel, Ernie Klopping and Pat Smalley, Marcia Roosa, Fred Ehren, Ryan Lennox, Sam Cogan, Steve Stanton, Jim Bruck, Gary Lowe, Russ Hallock, Ken Harris, Martin Elbrecht, Alex Sorenson, Vince Guido, Ed Winstalnley, and of course Rob Gaston and his crew.

https://www.recordonline.com/news/20181 ... ar-express" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ernie Hunt
President
CMRR
Last edited by eehiv on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1494879  by eehiv

December 20 to 23rd

Our sixth weekend of Polar Express was a great success. We carried 5,050 passengers last weekend on Polar.

Many thanks to our crews, including Earl Pardini, Dave Hilliard, John and Linda Marino, Bryan and Marjorie Van Kirk, Tony Bocchino, Art and Karin Vogel, Ernie Klopping and Pat Smalley, Marcia Roosa, Fred Ehren, Ryan Lennox, Sam Cogan, Steve Stanton, Jim Bruck, Peter Fuchere, Russ Hallock, Ken Harris, Martin Elbrecht, Alex Sorenson, Vince Guido, Karl Wick, and of course Rob Gaston and his crew.

Ernie Hunt
President
CMRR
 #1495765  by DanD3815

The Times Herald Record is reporting that Mike Hein is leaving his position as Ulster county executive to go work in the cuomo administration. I wonder if the CMRR will have a more favorable situation with whoever takes his place.
 #1495772  by scoostraw

DanD3815 wrote:The Times Herald Record is reporting that Mike Hein is leaving his position as Ulster county executive to go work in the cuomo administration. I wonder if the CMRR will have a more favorable situation with whoever takes his place.
Kind of irrelevant at this point in time don't you think?
 #1495787  by thebigham

DanD3815 wrote:The Times Herald Record is reporting that Mike Hein is leaving his position as Ulster county executive to go work in the cuomo administration. I wonder if the CMRR will have a more favorable situation with whoever takes his place.
This is good news for the CMRR!

https://www.dailyfreeman.com/news/local ... 68a1a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ULSTER COUNTY EXECUTIVE HEIN LEAVING TO TAKE STATE POST

KINGSTON, N.Y. — Ulster County Executive Michael Hein is resigning to take a job in the administration of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
 #1495875  by airman00

My 2 cents is that this is good news in that it levels the playing field a little bit more, however there are two obstacles to this that I see... One is no doubt Mr. Hein will appoint someone who shares his ideals, and Two is that I hope this isn’t too late in the game for this change to have any positive effect for the CMRR. And according to the article Mr. Hein appointed his deputy executive to replace him. Not to get political but his number 2 probably thinks like he does. So yes this is good news, but still a long road ahead for the CMRR. What they really need is a railroad-friendly county executive in charge!
 #1495902  by scoostraw

I agree with some of what you say airman, but I suspect that Hein had help fighting the CMRR from the state level. It just does not ring true to me for some reason that he was that 'powerful' on his own. If what I'm thinking is correct, then him leaving for a state job will likely mean no change at all. Of course I hope I'm wrong about this.

I agree that it is way late in the game now. I think the war has probably been lost at this point. But who knows??