Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak selling surplus locomotives and cars

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1489147  by Arborwayfan

I assume any rebuilding would be done by someone for whom it was cheaper, or roughly as cheap. That might include some complicated situations, eg if an agency or railroad had idle capacity in its repair shops, wanted to keep its repair staff fully employed because they are valuable for the future, had an established relationship with a repair contractor that was valuable to maintain. In some of these cases the total fully-allocated cost of the repair work might be higher than buying new, but because it included a share of fixed costs (ownership and maintenance of a suitable facility that the RR or agency had and was keeping) it might actually work out to be cheaper. In other cases maintaining relationships might save money in the long run, no? But mostly I always assumed that places like NC rebuilt old cars because it was cheaper than buying new. Are the Siemens cars and locomotives so cheap that they are bound to be cheaper than rebuilding old cars? I mean, railroads and manufacturers have been rebuilding and remanufacturing locomotives and cars for decades and decades; have the economics of that suddenly changed? Locomotives aren't exactly cell phones, and neither are cars.

Of course it makes a big difference what needs to be repaired. Damaged frames vs. ratty insides, that kind of thing.
 #1489425  by dowlingm

David Benton wrote:I would imagine that now there is a "pretty much off the shelf" new car amd loco available(Siemens), why would you even bother looking at rebuilding old and damaged equipment?
we are rebuilding steel cars in Canada at contract costs approaching those of new coaches - but think of the nice publicity for the local Liberal MP https://www.railwaygazette.com/news/tra ... ished.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;ésie—Les_Îles-de-la-Madeleine
 #1489758  by mcgrath618

I know SEPTA is in the market for some more coaches. Wouldn't be surprised that if any are salvageable, they nab them and use them with the Sprinters.
In a dream world I would love for SEPTA to get their hands on one of those F40s but clearly some dreams are dead before they are even dreamt.
 #1489761  by DutchRailnut

non of this stuff is salvageable, surplus is other word for scrap in Amtrakese.
 #1489781  by John_Perkowski

“Amtrak will do no work to make these cars interchange ready”

Translation: The only people we want bidding on this is the Beech Grove Scrap Company.
 #1489807  by John_Perkowski

Let’s give the Ex-ATSF Hi-Level Top of the Cap Lounges their heritage back, shall we?

They, along with the flatcar and the MHC, are probably the only current cars in the sale.
 #1489816  by mtuandrew

John_Perkowski wrote:Let’s give the Ex-ATSF Hi-Level Top of the Cap Lounges their heritage back, shall we?

They, along with the flatcar and the MHC, are probably the only current cars in the sale.
Current cars as in COTS and ready to roll? The Parlours may be the only ones in that category.

Wonder whether CDOT will be buying more Geneses, even if for parts.
 #1489819  by DutchRailnut

betya their not , but they have 18 locomotives for about 9 trains so they should be all set.
 #1490380  by electricron

Backshophoss wrote:All the ConnDOT units are cycling thru Beech Grove for rebuild,Using some of salvage parts off the deadline units would be smart thing to do! :wink:
Yes, now how will ConnDOT determine the fair price to pay Amtrak to reuse parts from deadline units Amtrak owns? Kind of gets a little sticky deciding what the sell price should be. So, the best solution to determine fair market value is for Amtrak to sell the deadline units and their parts to scrap yards via an auction, then the scrap yards sell the refurbished parts to ConnDOT.

Isn't that what Amtrak is doing?
 #1490385  by Leo_Ames

If you're talking about the P40's, is there anything left on them of particular value?

I don't know what shape they're in, parts-wise. But since it was publicized, I do know they served as parts donors for those rebuilt with stimulus funds several years ago, after storage out east had done a lot of damage to the P40's internally and Amtrak selected those in the best shape for rebuilding. And since then, I really doubt that they haven't contributed further useful parts to support Amtrak's own active fleet.

I rather figure they're being auctioned now, a good decade or so since being passed over for rebuilding and contributing a variety of components to their rebuilt stablemates, precisely because their usefulness as a parts storehouse on wheels is over with and it's time to clear the carcasses out. So I doubt there's much left there to scavenge for other operators like CDOT.

Amtrak will be running GE's like these for years to come. So I doubt they'd be auctioning still useful parts sources that could support their own active fleet, but stranger things have happened I suppose.
 #1491847  by jhdeasy

Amtrak just announced another auction of surplus “decommissioned inactive” passenger cars.

Approximately 51 Heritage baggage cars, 18 Heritage crew dorms (converted from 10&6 sleepers), 19 Heritage diners, 4 Heritage (ATSF) High Level coaches and 7 refrigerated express boxcars.

Bidding closes on January 4, 2019.

Mssrs. Anderson and Gardner are cleaning out their attic and closets.
 #1491870  by David Benton

Probably a set period after the new bags and diners have come into service, and not had major problems. I.e the new cars have run a year without major fault , no need to keep old cars for backup .